R42 (A) Question

lilbluefoxie

From what I heard its 1 10 car set running on the (A) from ENY Yard.It's been running IN SERVICE since last week going to the Rockaways and Leff Leff Blvd.

was it a transfer from ENY or does that thing have to go thru the nassau street line and somehow onto the 8 avenue tracks to get in place for the (A)?

I guess its up to me to ask the tough question this time, is the 42 on the (A) a temporary summer thing, or are they going to be on the (A) regularly? Also is it still only one set on there, or is there another as well?

From what i just heard its only a borrow ENY is shopping 207th's R32's HVAC units, ( i don't know why they can't just swap trains) so that R42 (A) is only temp. also the 14 cars that are in storage is at pitkin yard, so don't be surpised if they pop out ( I hardly doubt it) btw this R42 thats on the (A) runs like complete shit

From what i just heard its only a borrow ENY is shopping 207th's R32's HVAC units, ( i don't know why they can't just swap trains) so that R42 (A) is only temp. also the 14 cars that are in storage is at pitkin yard, so don't be surpised if they pop out ( I hardly doubt it) btw this R42 thats on the (A) runs like complete shit

I heard those 14 R42s they kept were marked no good for service, unless they can fix em?

was it a transfer from ENY or does that thing have to go thru the nassau street line and somehow onto the 8 avenue tracks to get in place for the (A)?

For something like this to happen, the train has to go South of Broad Street, through the Montague St. tunnel into Brooklyn. Once in Brooklyn, the train has to terminate somewhere and go back North (this can be done at Coney Island, 95 Street, or someplace on the road). Once this is done, the train has to go back North on the (D) or (F) line.

If it goes back on the (D), it can take the normal route except that prior to 145 Street, it takes a bottom green to go to the 207 Street Yard (via the (A)).

If it goes back on the (F), at West 4th it has to diverge to the 8th Av tracks which go to the 207 Street Yard.

Or, the train can leave Coney Island on the (F) (6 Av local), diverge to the (D) (6 Avenue Express), then take the route above to the 207 Street Yard.

I guess its up to me to ask the tough question this time, is the 42 on the (A) a temporary summer thing, or are they going to be on the (A) regularly? Also is it still only one set on there, or is there another as well?

From what i heard, 2 sets of R32s has been sent to freshpond yard, ether for retiring or other purposes, and that R42 (A) only runs during the AM and PM rush. I caught it entering at 6:16PM at 42nd street, brooklyn bound platform.

For something like this to happen, the train has to go South of Broad Street, through the Montague St. tunnel into Brooklyn. Once in Brooklyn, the train has to terminate somewhere and go back North (this can be done at Coney Island, 95 Street, or someplace on the road). Once this is done, the train has to go back North on the (D) or (F) line.

If it goes back on the (D), it can take the normal route except that prior to 145 Street, it takes a bottom green to go to the 207 Street Yard (via the (A)).

If it goes back on the (F), at West 4th it has to diverge to the 8th Av tracks which go to the 207 Street Yard.

Or, the train can leave Coney Island on the (F) (6 Av local), diverge to the (D) (6 Avenue Express), then take the route above to the 207 Street Yard.

What? Why do all that When there's the Chrystie St Connection.

It could also go to Prospect Park via the (J) shuttle and go back via the (B) to 59st/CC, then switch to the express track.

It could also go to Prospect Park via the (J) shuttle and go back via the (B) to 59st/CC, then switch to the express track.

Did ya forget about the (M) via Chrystie? Just send a 10 car train via the (M) then (A) or (D) to 207th.

So many diff rumors, it would be nice to have 1 legit source..

Pretty much, idk what the whole purpose of the swapping is for.. For that I would move the R32s to some other line, bump the R46s (Some) from JAM, grab Coney Island R160s and send to to JAM and the R32s go to CI.

Watch when the R46s are off the (C) and its back to R32s.. People will be annoyed as hell.. Now they have to go to the 8 car marker or center.

So many diff rumors, it would be nice to have 1 legit source..

Pretty much, idk what the whole purpose of the swapping is for.. For that I would move the R32s to some other line, bump the R46s (Some) from JAM, grab Coney Island R160s and send to to JAM and the R32s go to CI.

Watch when the R46s are off the (C) and its back to R32s.. People will be annoyed as hell.. Now they have to go to the 8 car marker or center.

yeah man these equipment swaps are ridiculous and a little unnecessary.

The set of R42s that's on the (A) is there because 207th street was short a train for the AM rush and those cars were there getting painted. Those cars (which do not and will not include 4550/51) are not needed right now at ENY, so they are on lone for the time being with no set time of when they will go back. 2 trains of R46s from the JYD fleet are running on the (A)/© because there are alot of R32s that are out of service. The 14 R42s that are in Pitkin will not be coming back since they have been stripping them for parts to keep the other R42s going.

Probably was thinking of the platform not being able to handle a 10-car train. And speaking of that, can the Essex St platform handle a 600' car train?

As written, it sounds like he says that the curve of the tracks can't hold a 10 car train as in the curve is too tight. If that's what he meant, then if a 10 car train can go around the curve, neither can an 8 or even 2 car train.

Essex St.

J2- 531'

J3/4- 544'6"

J1- 528'

Now when it come to equipment transfers, trains 12 51' cars,12 60' cars and 10 75' cars can travel any where within the division they are permitted to operate.

Very true. Like posted on several occasions on subchat, there was an R46 at Fresh Pond several decades ago on some fan trip. If they can make it there, then an extra 2 60' cars would not be a big deal. Individual car length would be the issue rather than number of cars.

Thanks for the numbers, seems if they were to expand those platforms to 600' lengths, it would be a nightmare...

Archived