How often are subway platforms washed?

knh39

Last Sunday (July 31st) I went to get on the queens-bound G train in my home station, and I noticed that someone had puked all over the platform. Like large gross splatters of it and in a manner which requires anyone walking down the platform to cautiously step around the mess or walk along the yellow strip to avoid it (TMI, sorry). Today (August 10th) its still there! 11 days have passed. What the heck? I was under the impression that platforms were sprayed down/cleaned pretty often. Getting slightly frustrated as I don't enjoy having to deal with the smell/knowing what it is. Gets me queasy.

Well depends on the station.. Not all stations are washed everyday.

Major stations (Such as 59th IND) is cleaned and washed every night as ive seen.

Since the (MTA) is broke, they cut down on cleaners.

lol... What else is new... I personally think that the lack of cleaning just helps stations deteriorate quicker. I was on an M2 bus a few months back (63XX I believe) and those buses have the cushioned seats and that blue stuff on the side or the "walls" of the bus or whatever you want to call them and I'm going to sit down in the very far back where the three seaters are and I see dried up puke on one of the cushions of the two seaters and on the side "wall area" as well. I know that will be there for a while too. I wonder how often they clean the subway cars and buses too? I know they do overhaul them every so often, as there was a video or something on them showing folks cleaning a subway car on one of those Transit shows, but that was supposedly when the (MTA) had money to burn... :)

My uncle told me years ago that they don't clean the buses and I always remembered that to his very day and I don't even bother to sit on the subway with all of the bums now and days making the cars their personal homes. :eek: I do know that they change the cushioned seats out on the Madison Avenue bus lines, but I don't think they mop the floors or anything, so you're getting into one big germ filled vehicle. I just try not to think about it, but it is rather disgusting. :eek: A germ fest it is... :P

lol... What else is new... I personally think that the lack of cleaning just helps stations deteriorate quicker. I was on an M2 bus a few months back (63XX I believe) and those buses have the cushioned seats and that blue stuff on the side or the "walls" of the bus or whatever you want to call them and I'm going to sit down in the very far back where the three seaters are and I see dried up puke on one of the cushions of the two seaters and on the side "wall area" as well. I know that will be there for a while too. I wonder how often they clean the subway cars and buses too? I know they do overhaul them every so often, as there was a video or something on them showing folks cleaning a subway car on one of those Transit shows, but that was supposedly when the (MTA) had money to burn... :)

My uncle told me years ago that they don't clean the buses and I always remembered that to his very day and I don't even bother to sit on the subway with all of the bums now and days making the cars their personal homes. :eek: I do know that they change the cushioned seats out on the Madison Avenue bus lines, but I don't think they mop the floors or anything, so you're getting into one big germ filled vehicle. I just try not to think about it, but it is rather disgusting. :eek: A germ fest it is... :P

Ugh...this thread is sort of depressing. I'm generally a pretty big MTA fan in comparison, but think about all that dirt and grime and germs...kind of freaks me out. The air in most is already sort of musky.

Buses get swept out daily. As far as vomit, blood or any other bodily fluids buses are placed out of service and cleaned with special chemicals. Me personally i think all buses should be power washed at least once a week, there would be built in drains at each end of the bus and no cloth in the bus.(talking about the seats and the carpet on the walls). It would take no more then 10 mins to wash a bus out. Believe it or not but i find the dirtiest area of the bus to be the drivers area. Steering wheel are usually so greasy and some type of food wrapper around the drivers seat, quite disgusting. I carry lysol wipe and wipe everything that i usually touch and on top of that i wear gloves. No im not a germaphobe but it just down right dirty MTA buses. I must say that when i worked at Quill buses were mopped or washed out on the regular, Fresh Pond no so much(may be twice in 2 years i had a mopped out bus). I remember once that i had some extra time before a pull out and i decided to sweep out the bus. A cleaner came to me and said thats not your job and your action can result in people losing there jobs(Cleaners). One more thing the viewing area(windows and mirrors) the operators use are filthy too and there no windex in the depots, i must say they have paper towels but that usually runs out too. As far as the air quality if you ride The Artics (New Flyers) look up, there are air filters they are usually black and have not been changed in years, On RTS you cant see the filter un less you go to the rear of the bus and look up the slotted grill and yes the filters are usually black also.

Buses get swept out daily. As far as vomit, blood or any other bodily fluids buses are placed out of service and cleaned with special chemicals. Me personally i think all buses should be power washed at least once a week, there would be built in drains at each end of the bus and no cloth in the bus.(talking about the seats and the carpet on the walls). It would take no more then 10 mins to wash a bus out. Believe it or not but i find the dirtiest area of the bus to be the drivers area. Steering wheel are usually so greasy and some type of food wrapper around the drivers seat, quite disgusting. I carry lysol wipe and wipe everything that i usually touch and on top of that i wear gloves. No im not a germaphobe but it just down right dirty MTA buses. I must say that when i worked at Quill buses were mopped or washed out on the regular, Fresh Pond no so much(may be twice in 2 years i had a mopped out bus). I remember once that i had some extra time before a pull out and i decided to sweep out the bus. A cleaner came to me and said thats not your job and your action can result in people losing there jobs(Cleaners). One more thing the viewing area(windows and mirrors) the operators use are filthy too and there no windex in the depots, i must say they have paper towels but that usually runs out too.

My uncle has told me that he also tries to clean out his area because some depots as you said don't clean the buses at all. I also agree that power washing those buses would be great and I can't understand for the life of me why they would put that blue carpet stuff on the walls when they know they're not going to clean it. That stuff just attracts more dirts, germs and filth and let's face it, these are public buses meaning any dirty joe scmoe can ride it. I don't blame you for carrying lysol and cleaning your area. Better to be called a germophobe than to be sick as a dog.

Archived