Platform Screen Doors

7LineFan

I heard that platform screen doors (doors on the platform that prevent anyone from falling on the tracks- or leaning over them, for that matter) are going to be installed at the 34th St station on the (7) extension. Can anyone confirm this?

Also, do you think it is practical to retrofit the entire IRT with platform screen doors, since car doors are the same distance apart, and that's apparently not changing anytime soon?

It's not really practical in New York City to have them. True they'll prevent some people from falling on the tracks, but they'll quickly become defaced and damaged by vandals, so really, I say no because it's just one more thing to break.

In September of last year, the (MTA) said they would install platform screne doors on all new stations. However they recently said they will make design cutbacks on all projects going on in order to save money.

Yeah, so that basically kills the platform doors.

I think its better without them anyway.

BAD idea.

leaning over subway platforms is natural MTA subway rider behavior, its a habit that we're all used to and i don't see anything wrong with it

jumping on the train tracks are stupid in my opinion but if someone wants to go kill them self then let them, we shouldn't be stopping them if they want to

also platform screen doors would mess up my beautiful underground train photos ;)

jumping on the train tracks are stupid in my opinion but if someone wants to go kill them self then let them, we shouldn't be stopping them if they want to

Try telling that to the train crews who have to relive the horror and struggle to get back to work, as well as fight to prove their innocence and keep their jobs about it.

However in any decision the question is whether the "benefits outweigh the costs" and in the case of screen doors I don't think they do. There are other safety concerns they give rise to that the current system doesn't.

BAD idea.

leaning over subway platforms is natural MTA subway rider behavior, its a habit that we're all used to and i don't see anything wrong with it

No offense young man, but that is a really stupid habit. People do that waiting for the bus also. Hanging over the platform edge, or curb isn't going to make the bus or train come any faster. Besides you leave yourself exposed to some lunatic pushing you carcass in front of the train. People have seem to forget, people do this to other people. Why expose yourself like that??????

No offense young man, but that is a really stupid habit. People do that waiting for the bus also. Hanging over the platform edge, or curb isn't going to make the bus or train come any faster. Besides you leave yourself exposed to some lunatic pushing you carcass in front of the train. People have seem to forget, people do this to other people. Why expose yourself like that??????

Not to mention that platform doors have been used successfully in other subways around the globe. However there is the problem of getting a human-driven train to line up with them... most platform doors are used on computer driven systems. Any thoughts?

Not to mention that platform doors have been used successfully in other subways around the globe. However there is the problem of getting a human-driven train to line up with them... most platform doors are used on computer driven systems. Any thoughts?

Sounds like another rate hike excuse. Just forget the idea. B)

- Andy

Platform Screen Doors are the most dumbest idea that the (MTA) came up with since buying the R110s! Why would they spend $$ on something so dumb. There's going to be so many malfunctions the first two years since the (MTA) is unexperienced with PSDs. Not only that, PSDs create heat when trains speed off. A subway route in Paris had to get rid of theirs because the heat leaves were very dark. Last thing, as sad as it is, the PSDs will be scratched up, graffitied, and pee upon. Then think NOW how hard it'll be to see trains.

• 3 weeks later...

Platform screen doors are quite useful; I don't see why people hate them. Not only do they help safety-wise, but they also improve air flow, air conditioning, prevent track fires, allow for stations to be cleaned easily, and shorten dwell times because people gather at doors rather than rushing to them when the train stops. However, if Siemens had actually gotten those departure boards to work, it would be much easier than trying to stare through the glass and figure out which train it is and where it's going.

Platform screen doors are quite useful; I don't see why people hate them. Not only do they help safety-wise, but they also improve air flow, air conditioning, prevent track fires, allow for stations to be cleaned easily, and shorten dwell times because people gather at doors rather than rushing to them when the train stops. However, if Siemens had actually gotten those departure boards to work, it would be much easier than trying to stare through the glass and figure out which train it is and where it's going.

Screen doors would just be a hassle, more trouble than worth.

- Andy

Screen doors are an ok idea, Yes they do make good safety nets, but like most of you said hey its New York its bound to get scratched up and vandalized... Then we lose the ability to have lets say maintenance trains to stop at stations and open up their doors. And of course it would be really expensive to place them, and make them work correctly... Sometimes I believe that the IRT actually had plans to create some type of barrier, since several stations have those signs on the floor telling you where the door opens and closes, and yet the BMT/IND dont have a trace of them.

Sometimes I believe that the IRT actually had plans to create some type of barrier, since several stations have those signs on the floor telling you where the door opens and closes, and yet the BMT/IND dont have a trace of them.

The only reason the BMT/IND doesn't have them besides the reasons stated above is that some lines run both 60ft and 75ft cars on the same lines (e.g. (N) and (W) running both R160 and R68). Those cars open their doors in different areas. Imagine you're on an R68, but the PSDs are tailored to 60ft cars, so when the door opens you step into the glass instead of out the door. That's why it would be plausible to put them on the IRT lines only because the doors are in the same spot all the time, hence the "Step Aside" panels. But then like almost everyone said, it would be too much of a hassle in some respects. Besides (MTA) probably doesn't have the money anymore.

Archived