Children With Autism, Connecting via Transit

LRG

i beg to differ mr. Pushcart and i'm another one with ruined videos thanks to you

so us austic ppl are crazy....stfu....everytime theres an austic thread , you bash us....maybe you should get know us...

uhhh... Your welcome?

What ruined videos?!?!

Btw, my voice has gotten significantly deeper from when the first time i met you, so no more complaining about my voice !

i didn't call autistic people crazy. I said that other people will think of rail fans as crazy people. My god i didn't expect this much confusion from my one post.

a high pitched voice, a purple spongebob backpack, and massive foaming are enough to ruin videos and significantly deeper my ass. You still have that annoying high pitched voice with that horrific laugh.

stop all

My iPod touch won't let me copy the article word-for-word, so here's the link:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/nyregion/children-with-autism-connecting-via-bus-and-train.html?_r=1&ref=us

For some reason I find this article hard to believe. They're basically saying that every transit buff is autistic and for the most part that's far from the truth. I know for a fact I'm not autistic but I do know a few people who are....

If kids are attracted to different things then why label the train addicts as autistic when the same can be said for kids who like to watch birds and squirrels at the park?

I didn't get that from this article, fam.... Matter fact, the only comment from it that made the antennas go up, was this nice lil number:

“When we go to train museums, they’re absolutely filled with children with autism,” Ms. Syed said."

She tries to use the term autism, as if it were an adjective (instead of a noun).... that's what I would be offended with, if I were autistic..... that line about there being a link w/ trains & autism, sounds to me like the article was trying to implicate that a lot of autistic children (in this case) are interested in trains moreso than anything else; not necessarily the notion of all r/f-ers are autistic.....

Which I wouldn't find insulting anyway; either you have autism or you don't..... not really a matter of perception/opinion, y'know....

The activity of rail fanning in the US has been labeled insane, crazy, and from even some people as a hobo activity.....

I don't know about the hobo part, but I agree with the rest of it.... r/f-ing & busfanning are seen as extremes of transit enthusiasm.... and labels are appended to those of us that have this as an interest/hobby....

So Us Austic ppl are crazy....STFU....everytime theres an Austic thread , you bash us....maybe you should get know us...

that's not what ole boy was sayin....

If anyone that's gave autistic ppl. bad press/image (regarding transit), it's good ole Mr. McCollum there.....

Go channel your anger at him.

I hear you. I showed my interest for transit in 6th grade and they picked on me for it. You can't even call yourself a railfan without these judgemental d****ebags coming in and putting labels on you.

Why should the judgment of others affect how you carry on with your life? If they find it weird that you like trains, to hell with them. Up until high school people knew my interest in transit. Some picked on me about it, while others were lining up left and right asking me for directions....

It doesn't hurt to be the oddball out of the group. I don't mind helping people out at all. When I started taking photos some people liked my concentration whereas others thought it was weird, but again that's them.

I'm confused. Where does it say that all railfans are autistic? It's just saying that autistic children find comfort in trains.

What you guys are saying is sort of like saying people who are mentally retarded eat food. I eat food, does that make me mentally retarded also??

Also, this passage:

Of course, not every child taken with Thomas the Tank Engine has autism. What distinguishes the condition is intensity. Dr. Shirley Cohen, a retired Hunter College professor who helped start a program in New York City schools for children with autism, described how one child would not do any work in the classroom unless he could spend time at a Thomas the Tank Engine table. Another boy whose bedroom was decorated with Thomas décor never wanted to leave the room.

I loved Thomas when I was a kid. When I go to some kind of toy store I NEED to touch the Thomas set. I also used to really like Matchbox and HotWheels cars. Today when I see a car I have to play with it. But I actually started with buses. My hobby is not about cars. It's about NYC Transit! And I was NEVER diagnosed with autism.

Although I didn't read the whole article I don't think it states that railfans are autistic. Personally, I have a few interests and hobbies that seem boring or bizarre to other people. Being a railfan is one of them. My hobbies generally include machines.. When I was young as I have stated in a previous post I used to watch the trains pass at Buhre Avenue. A few years later, when I moved to Greece I stayed at a place called Edipsos which has a ferry boat line. At the age of 4 I was able to recognize all 7 ferry boats on the line from a considerable distance. I also have an obsession with washing machines and an admiration for airplanes. Of course I'm mostly a car freak knowing exorbidant amounts of knowledge for most of the world's major car manufacturers. So, I think me being a railfan can be justified by the fact that I generally like machinery. So, we don't have to feel insecure as a community because of this article!

I can agree with you. I am not just a rail fan, but I am also much of a skyscraper fan, a airplane fan, and an ocean liners fan. I memorized almost every famous ocean liner that crossed the Atlantic. Off topic, but my favorite ocean liner is the RMS Titanic, and the ship I have the most respect for is the RMS Majestic.

It doesn't hurt to be the oddball out of the group. I don't mind helping people out at all. When I started taking photos some people liked my concentration whereas others thought it was weird, but again that's them.

yup, Not... at... all....

I actually "Take Pride" in being different....

(think you get what I'm referring to in the quotes there)

Nothin worse than being around a bunch of followers that can't think for themselves, that have no opinion of their own.

+1 for freethinkers !

I have asperger's syndrome (a form of autism) but could living about 10 feet from the (L) Train for 11 years have something to do with my love for transit? Like isn't that logic?

Me too. I did as a boy from ages 6-10 that was really into the nyc subways. Some of my infamous acts include Making conductor annoucement on my sister's tape deck(that was the MP3/Smartphone of it day kiddies lol) to pretend my parents sofa was the Lex Ave (4) train lol. Those were the days.:eek::P

Now as an adult and living with Asperper's (I was 'misdiagonsed for years with hyperactivity/ADHD)i love being 'different.' I personally don't care what other people think of me anymore, because like it or not people will always judge you fair or not.

The biggest thing that most railfans don't seem to get is this and it's very simple and applies to everything in life:

Why do you have to broadcast everything about yourself? If you like something, keep it to yourself and your friends. If you allow it to define you, you become a stereotype.

That goes for trains, music, books, sports, TV, video games, favorite foods, or any other hobby you can think of.

Not to mention that many railfans don't understand that even among railfans there is such a thing as "overdoing it" and being a know it all (why do those who know the least ALWAYS know it the loudest???) which can piss people who share the hobby with you off.

Keep your business to yourself and no one will have any ammunition to rip on you with. If you put all your shit out there, someone's bound to make fun...especially when you're all kids/teens. It is what it is. Be governed accordingly.

I'm confused. Where does it say that all railfans are autistic? It's just saying that autistic children find comfort in trains.

What you guys are saying is sort of like saying people who are mentally retarded eat food. I eat food, does that make me mentally retarded also??

Also, this passage:

Exactly. The article states that some kids with autism are taken with trains but that doesn't mean the reverse is true (which is how most of you in this thread are reading into it). Obviously a lot of people in this hobby are very interested in trains and buses but that doesn't mean they're autistic. Of course this is a very interesting point as it may explain some of the really extreme weirdos in this hobby...

I don't care what people think of me. I like what I like and that's that. But I like things in moderation because when I share my interests with other people I want them to either respect/accept or join me in it. There's nothing worse than an overextensive fanatic.

I won't say much on the autism thing. I have a nephew who is autistic. But I didn't find the article labeling toward railfans at all.

Archived