Question?!?!?!?!

I Run Trains

Do you think all of them are going to be coming over as the 32s and 38s are retired or are they going to retire the 42s first, and then the 32s and 38s?

Out of that bunch the R38 will be retired first. With the R42 second and the R32 last...

Since the R160As are flooding East New York Yard, which monitors the J, L, M and Z trains, yard space was scarce and they had to take action. The M train became all R160, freeing up space in the yard. The R42s (the train you saw on the A) are being transferred lowest-number first from ENY Yard to Pitkin Yard for the A and C lines. Phase I R32s from this line are being transferred to Jamaica Yard for the E, F, R and V trains to retire the Phase II R32.

• 2 weeks later...
Since the R160As are flooding East New York Yard, which monitors the J, L, M and Z trains, yard space was scarce and they had to take action. The M train became all R160, freeing up space in the yard. The R42s (the train you saw on the A) are being transferred lowest-number first from ENY Yard to Pitkin Yard for the A and C lines. Phase I R32s from this line are being transferred to Jamaica Yard for the E, F, R and V trains to retire the Phase II R32.

whats the differnce between R32 phase I/II and the GOH?

From http://www.nycsubway.org ...(BTW, GOH = General Overhaul, done during the late '80s due to deferred maintenance)

The R-32s are no longer referred to as R-32 and R-32As. They are currently referred to as R-32 Phase I, R-32 Phase II and R-32 GE. The R-32 Phase I cars (re-built by MK) have WABCO Air Brake packages, GE Master Controllers (Throttle) and Thermoking HVAC units. The R-32 Phase II cars (also re-built by MK) have NY Air Brake equipment, Westinghouse Master Controllers and Stone Safety HVAC units. Since the cars were sent out to overhaul based on how poorly they were performing (bad cars first) there are regular R-32s and R-32As which are Phase I and Phase II. There are also about a dozen pairs which are comprised of R-32 and R-32A mixes.

IINM, Some (most?) of the R32 Phase II's have had their NYAB brake packages replaced with Newtran brake packages...

Other differences that are notable Phase I's HVAC is louder, hard to explain but it sounds "tractor-ish" I guess you could say, best way to tell is look at the interior side door frames of the car. If they're painted tan, it's a Phase I, if they're stainless steel it's a Phase II.

Why are they retiring the Phase II first?

Performance mostly. Most of the Phase II's are coming from Jamaica and the brakes are in pretty bad shape on a lot of the cars. Also lot of dead motors. The Phase I's are in better shape so some are transferring to Jamaica, and those are the ones getting replaced at Pitkin by the R42's coming over from ENY.

Archived