MTA officials 'didn't do their homework' before rejecting Queens bus line, locals say

Harry

Yeah, well I'm tellin you what simply wont fly in a particular neighborhood..... putting 4 local routes in glen oaks would be like putting 4 local routes in somewhere like annadale or something.....

That just means there was a very high demand for it.....

Those 1000 riders have to be sustained, then built upon, over the course of a year... 2 years.... 3 years, etc.... riderbases have to be built, they don't just appear out of the sky....

You're not disproving his point by mentioning that 1 day statistic......

OK. So the Q12 shouldn't be sent there, and the Q36 would be better off at

it current terminal. What about the Q30?

And for the 1,000 riders comment, the QM1 and friends get a total of about 5,300 riders per weekday, so unless he just meant the QM1, it further proves BrooklynBus' comment.

In any case, the QM1 probably gets around 1,500 riders per day, so even then, it still proves his comment (though, of course, some riders may have come from the local bus->subway)

As I've said numerous times, their logic is never consistent. They are constantly contradicting themselves. While they may not have applied cost neutrality to Staten Island in 2007, doesn't mean they weren't claiming it in other boroughs. Back in 2003, they rejected one of my proposals for an additional operating cost of $25,000 and no other reason.

Sad, but true.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK. So the Q12 shouldn't be sent there, and the Q36 would be better off at

it current terminal. What about the Q30?

And for the 1,000 riders comment, the QM1 and friends get a total of about 5,300 riders per weekday, so unless he just meant the QM1, it further proves BrooklynBus' comment.

In any case, the QM1 probably gets around 1,500 riders per day, so even then, it still proves his comment (though, of course, some riders may have come from the local bus->subway)

Sad, but true.

No route is compatible with Q79 don't even think about messing with the Q30!!!!!

You know that's not gonna work either, because Long Island is NIMBYville. For the love of god, stop turning simple routes into regional routes
The Q79 isn't simple it needs a quick push to comeback like a quick link to an area or main point where other rtes go to other places expanding the reach of the line so more ppl will use it it failed as a local and will continue to fail. NE queens ppl heading to BX will not use tedious transfers that take forever. Only a few queens and 1 or 2 SI rtes can become regional lines thats about it. Extending it via 295 and bayside will give Q79 an additional use that no other bus currently has.

It's to bypass floral park by using a shortcut it will be a linked to the N6 and N1 routes.

did you ever do work for NJT?? or just MTA I admit I am not very good at routing structure for MTA like systems except simple small changes.

Now if you would only admit to other things you're not very good at when it comes to routes or better yet "rtes"...

100% correct. Though I'd just like to point out that back in 2004, they weren't dealing with the cost-neutral constraints. Back in 2007, Staten Island got an S55 extension and the new S89 bus route, and neither of them were cost neutral.

Q101 via Steinway's comment reminded me: The S89 started out with about 300 riders per day, and not it has close to 900. While I'm sure some of that ridership was riders that switched from the S44/S94, S59, and S79 (and therefore no new revenue was generated), I'm sure some of those riders were new to the system and were therefore new sources of revenue.

I'd just like to point out that the S89 was something that the politicians rammed down the (MTA)s throat IMO, and the (MTA) lapped it up as the next biggest thing. The S89 is the new black... :) If I recall correctly, the S89 was delayed for sometime and then it finally rolled out and I'm not sure if local officials put in any money to get up and running, but I'm sure something went on, because that line was pushed beyond belief and I really don't see the big hype. You still have to make 2-3 connections... :confused:

Now if you would only admit to other things you're not very good at when it comes to routes or better yet "rtes"...

I'd just like to point out that the S89 was something that the politicians rammed down the (MTA)s throat IMO, and the (MTA) lapped it up as the next biggest thing. The S89 is the new black... :) If I recall correctly, the S89 was delayed for sometime and then it finally rolled out and I'm not sure if local officials put in any money to get up and running, but I'm sure something went on, because that line was pushed beyond belief and I really don't see the big hype. You still have to make 2-3 connections... :confused:

For the most part, it's only one connection (S89->HBLR). Nobody's going to use it to get to Manhattan when the express bus is faster and cheaper.

And I think they got the Port Authority to give something like $1.2 million to pay for new buses for the line or something like that.

The problem was that there was only one company running the service from Bayonne/Jersey City to Staten Island (and we all know who that is), and the frequency wasn't too great. And people were complaining about the fact that the service was unreliable and they couldn't get to work on time.

So the politicians wanted the MTA to step in and offer more reliable service with all of the perks of being MTA-run (with the main one being accepting MetroCards, especially senior/Student MetroCards and transfers)

But now that I think about it, it probably would've been cheaper to buy TransportAzumah some new fareboxes and new buses, and have him run the service at the levels they want. It would be cheaper to give him the money than it would be to run it themselves.

And the fact that he was making a profit off of it would've meant that he could've still run the #144 and given passengers another option (you would've liked it, seeing that it's an express bus. :) )

No route is compatible with Q79 don't even think about messing with the Q30!!!!!

The Q79 isn't simple it needs a quick push to comeback like a quick link to an area or main point where other rtes go to other places expanding the reach of the line so more ppl will use it it failed as a local and will continue to fail. NE queens ppl heading to BX will not use tedious transfers that take forever. Only a few queens and 1 or 2 SI rtes can become regional lines thats about it. Extending it via 295 and bayside will give Q79 an additional use that no other bus currently has.

It's to bypass floral park by using a shortcut it will be a linker routes.

With LIB out of the picture, however...I think that that is now officially a dead horse. IMO, what I would propose instead is two different routes:

1. An extension-reroute of the Q110, running via the Q110 to Hempstead Avenue and Springfield Boulevard, but then via Springfield Boulevard, Jamaica Avenue, Little Neck Parkway, 260 Street-Glen Oaks, and North Shore Towers, terminating at LIJ in Lake Success. Every third Q110 would be diverted from Belmont Park, weekdays from 6 AM to 8 PM and Saturdays from 8 AM to 6 PM.

2. An extension of the Q12, running via Little Neck Parkway and North Shore Towers, using the same hours as the Q110 extension.

The routes would be extended for network coverage, and would not operate Sundays or major holidays. But they would provide customers access to the subway---something that the Q79 never did.

For the most part, it's only one connection (S89->HBLR). Nobody's going to use it to get to Manhattan when the express bus is faster and cheaper.

And I think they got the Port Authority to give something like $1.2 million to pay for new buses for the line or something like that.

The problem was that there was only one company running the service from Bayonne/Jersey City to Staten Island (and we all know who that is), and the frequency wasn't too great. And people were complaining about the fact that the service was unreliable and they couldn't get to work on time.

So the politicians wanted the MTA to step in and offer more reliable service with all of the perks of being MTA-run (with the main one being accepting MetroCards, especially senior/Student MetroCards and transfers)

But now that I think about it, it probably would've been cheaper to buy TransportAzumah some new fareboxes and new buses, and have him run the service at the levels they want. It would be cheaper to give him the money than it would be to run it themselves.

And the fact that he was making a profit off of it would've meant that he could've still run the #144 and given passengers another option (you would've liked it, seeing that it's an express bus. :) )

Not necessarily. Plenty of Staten Island folks over on SILive have cried horror stories from those "express" bus lines and I for one wouldn't want to experience it. ;):)

Yeah it was clear that they wanted the (MTA) to run the line and they got their wish. One of the only things I can think of that Molinaro has done for bus service on Staten Island during his time in office, which is really pathetic. Glad I never voted for the guy. :mad: $700,000 for a friggin fisk tank. I get irritated just thinking about it. :mad:

With LIB out of the picture, however...I think that that is now officially a dead horse. IMO, what I would propose instead is two different routes:

1. An extension-reroute of the Q110, running via the Q110 to Hempstead Avenue and Springfield Boulevard, but then via Springfield Boulevard, Jamaica Avenue, Little Neck Parkway, 260 Street-Glen Oaks, and North Shore Towers, terminating at LIJ in Lake Success. Every third Q110 would be diverted from Belmont Park, weekdays from 6 AM to 8 PM and Saturdays from 8 AM to 6 PM.

2. An extension of the Q12, running via Little Neck Parkway and North Shore Towers, using the same hours as the Q110 extension.

The routes would be extended for network coverage, and would not operate Sundays or major holidays. But they would provide customers access to the subway---something that the Q79 never did.

let Q110 or Q2 run via lakeville rd from jericho or hempstead tpk or let Q46 extend via lakeville rd to stewart manor on select trips and only LTD ones at rush. The N2 of veolia becomes a flushing rte via tulip ave then braddock to clearview en rte to flushing interlines with N20/21. The Q79 will be better as regional O by the way in my plan the Q79 will link to bayside and (6) train en rte to link with Q44 on service rd linking to (5) and (2) and later on to NJT and R&T at GWB plaza the line would look like an attractive pass through route. Give it a bus lane that starts at the toll entrance barring cars from interrupting the line. Ur idea is good but it is more of a copout and doesn't address the traffic and regional connectivity problems in that part of queens. You do realize it's impractical to use LIRR to flushing just for Q44 right especially to use crosstowns al the way to jamacia or flushing just to reach the bronx. I am just making new lines that create practicality.

Not necessarily. Plenty of Staten Island folks over on SILive have cried horror stories from those "express" bus lines and I for one wouldn't want to experience it. :):)

Yeah it was clear that they wanted the (MTA) to run the line and they got their wish. One of the only things I can think of that Molinaro has done for bus service on Staten Island during his time in office, which is really pathetic. Glad I never voted for the guy. :mad: $700,000 for a friggin fisk tank. I get irritated just thinking about it. :mad:

err how bad are the NJ to SI express buses?? I mean ones used on #144?? and azumeth?? are they horrific??

And the fact that he was making a profit off of it would've meant that he could've still run the #144 and given passengers another option (you would've liked it, seeing that it's an express bus. ;) )

HUH??? if azumeth ran it at a profit why did red and tan abandon it??? why didn't NJT step in?? If the route is profitable wouldn't the MTA beg to run it???

dude ur forgetting that Q79 has low ridership brining it back will accomplish nothing. Extending it to floral park is a no-go the ppl blocked it. Anything else???

extending it to elmont via plainfield ave and ending at hempstead makes sense cause it links several corridors in a grid

The thanks was an accident.

If you want to link the Q79 with something, extend it to the subway, not Hempstead.

The Q36 extension would actually be a better idea than a Q79 restoration though, for the one seat ride to the subway.

let Q110 or Q2 run via lakeville rd from jericho or hempstead tpk or let Q46 extend via lakeville rd to stewart manor on select trips and only LTD ones at rush. The N2 of veolia becomes a flushing rte via tulip ave then braddock to clearview en rte to flushing interlines with N20/21. The Q79 will be better as regional O by the way in my plan the Q79 will link to bayside and (6) train en rte to link with Q44 on service rd linking to (5) and (2) and later on to NJT and R&T at GWB plaza the line would look like an attractive pass through route. Give it a bus lane that starts at the toll entrance barring cars from interrupting the line. Ur idea is good but it is more of a copout and doesn't address the traffic and regional connectivity problems in that part of queens. You do realize it's impractical to use LIRR to flushing just for Q44 right especially to use crosstowns al the way to jamacia or flushing just to reach the bronx. I am just making new lines that create practicality.

Q79 is not a line that needs to be regional, that line just needed a subway connection.

Why would a route from Queens run to GWB Plaza and beyond? Do you know the problems routes such as the Bx36 have with that area? The traffic in Washington Heights would delay this route. This Q79 would be much worse and would be unreliable especially during rush hours.

Q79 is not a line that needs to be regional, that line just needed a subway connection.

Why would a route from Queens run to GWB Plaza and beyond? Do you know the problems routes such as the Bx36 have with that area? The traffic in Washington Heights would delay this route. This Q79 would be much worse and would be unreliable especially during rush hours.

Preaching to choir Great one. At this point we might be off just igorning Transitmaster since he won't listen to anyone here.The trainmaster seems to igorne us on explaining on ideas like why extending the (Q79) to GWB or Albany for all we care won't work? Let him make his einstein proposals without any replies from any of us. Then maybe he return to earth and on topic.

dude ur forgetting that Q79 has low ridership brining it back will accomplish nothing. Extending it to floral park is a no-go the ppl blocked it. Anything else???

extending it to elmont via plainfield ave and ending at hempstead makes sense cause it links several corridors in a grid

Yeah, I got something else... smart a**

I'm not forgetting anything.... Well we know, of course you don't give a damn about serving those riders in Glen Oaks & Little Neck that have no north-south bus service.... instead, you see this as an opportunity to insert your cockamamy ideas... and I'll tell you something else, it's showin in your replies to this thread that you don't have a C-L-U-E clue (as usual) as to what you're talkin about either... 2 straight ridiculous extensions - first the Q79 to the bronx, now out to hempstead....

just flat out reaching for some'n to post just to throw your two cents in.....

extending it to floral park is a no go.... but yet you want to extend it through elmont, and east to hempstead.... real freakin bright.....

talk about passing "GO" on the monopoly board & complaining that you have to collect 200 dollars .... that's the equivalent of how foolish that suggestion is....

OK. So the Q12 shouldn't be sent there, and the Q36 would be better off at it current terminal. What about the Q30?

Of the 3 routes, I'd say the Q30 to glen oaks would be the better bet.... still some'n I wouldn't bother doin though.....

...and the QM1 thing, even if he just meant the QM1 by itself, nothin Q101 Steinway said there disproved what Brooklyn Bus was sayin there... I don't see the point in Q101 even having brought that up.... looked to me like homeboy tried to imply that you don't need 3 years to establish a riderbase, and that you actually can break even on day 1....

*Look at the QM1, it got 1000 riders on the 1st day*

I'm like, and????

I'm not forgetting anything.... Well we know, of course you don't give a damn about serving those riders in Glen Oaks & Little Neck that have no north-south bus service.... instead, you see this as an opportunity to insert your cockamamy ideas... and I'll tell you something else, it's showin in your replies to this thread that you don't have a C-L-U-E clue (as usual) as to what you're talkin about either... 2 straight ridiculous extensions - first the Q79 to the bronx, now out to hempstead....

extending it to floral park is a no go.... but yet you want to extend it through elmont, and east to hempstead.... real freakin bright.....

talk about passing "GO" on the monopoly board & complaining that you have to collect 200 dollars .... that's the equivalent of how foolish that suggestion is....

lol.... :cool: :tup:

The thanks was an accident.

If you want to link the Q79 with something, extend it to the subway, not Hempstead.

The Q36 extension would actually be a better idea than a Q79 restoration though, for the one seat ride to the subway.

I meant hempstead turnpike not hempstead itself!!!!! turning q79 into a crosstown north south rte completely

NOT beyond that is too extreme plus q79 would retain short trips in queens for reliability at rush hour. via Q12 extension at rush. I am just taking a chance with an experiment if it works then it works if it fails o well then it fails but you can't just not try.

Preaching to choir Great one. At this point we might be off just igorning Transitmaster since he won't listen to anyone here.The trainmaster seems to igorne us on explaining on ideas like why extending the (Q79) to GWB or Albany for all we care won't work? Let him make his einstein proposals without any replies from any of us. Then maybe he return to earth and on topic.

BS I would never send a rte to albany we have trailways and intercity bus that is madness. don't blow this out of proportion ur getting annoying

Of the 3 routes, I'd say the Q30 to glen oaks would be the better bet.... still some'n I wouldn't bother doin though.....

...and the QM1 thing, even if he just meant the QM1 by itself, nothin Q101 Steinway said there disproved what Brooklyn Bus was sayin there... I don't see the point in Q101 even having brought that up.... looked to me like homeboy tried to imply that you don't need 3 years to establish a riderbase, and that you actually can break even on day 1....

I'm like, and????

I meant END at elmont!!!!!! NOT to hempstead but to hempstead tpk. I wasn't specific enough obviously I am not stupid I know the N6 you can't duplicate that and survive. I meant extend to hempstead turnpike and plainfield ave ENDING AT ELMONT NOT THROUGH!!!!!!!!! That would be too long. Plus there is no traffic flow there. I am many things stupid isn't one of them. read my post carefully before you reply and if it's not specific ask and confirm.

HMM maybe coachusa shortline can have trips to eastern queens via GWB and bronx instead of using Q79 there is a thought and maybe a much better idea if ran similar to X23/24 but open door and ran by coachusa the line can enter LI via LIE while Q79 can be untouched and extended to elmont and maybe bay terrance or co-op city/Pelham instead. For cross-bronx service to work a HOV bus lane will have to be made that starts from the entrance an entrance that is exclusive. Maybe shortline or red and Tan would be a better operator for such a regional service than MTA the only reason why I suggested Q79 was cause most travellers in NYC area who use any form of transit use metrocard.

I'm like, and????

I show that as example to show that some routes are successful on day one

QM1 was Steinway route so I had to post that (just kidding)

I guess that was one of the reasons why I created the messy Q79 idea but it would be better if shortline or red and tan coachusa ran such a route and the regionals were shown on the new bus maps and subway map representing fast rapid service. Sometimes it's best to let ppl simply connect to the rte they want.

Not necessarily. Plenty of Staten Island folks over on SILive have cried horror stories from those "express" bus lines and I for one wouldn't want to experience it. ;):D

Well, maybe the contract could've stipulated that the service had to be more reliable, and if it wasn't the MTA would take it over.

I mean, if the savings allowed the #144 to run as a backup to the S89 (for people who didn't want to make the transfer), that would be an increase in service for the same amount of money.

err how bad are the NJ to SI express buses?? I mean ones used on #144?? and azumeth?? are they horrific??

HUH??? if azumeth ran it at a profit why did red and tan abandon it??? why didn't NJT step in?? If the route is profitable wouldn't the MTA beg to run it???

I guess his business practices were more efficient. You'll have to ask him why it was profitable.

He charged a $5 fare, but he had the increased operating costs of running all the way to Jersey City. Maybe it wasn't that expensive to run all the way there, so he would make money by having the riders take his bus rather than charge a cheaper fare to get to the HBLR.

Yes, but it became even more successful later on.

For example, Bill Gates is a billionaire, so obviously he's successful. But he started out having a few million dollars already, so being a billionaire just made him more successful.

The same analogy applies to bus routes.

I meant END at elmont!!!!!! NOT to hempstead but to hempstead tpk. I wasn't specific enough obviously I am not stupid I know the N6 you can't duplicate that and survive. I meant extend to hempstead turnpike and plainfield ave ENDING AT ELMONT NOT THROUGH!!!!!!!!! That would be too long. Plus there is no traffic flow there. I am many things stupid isn't one of them. read my post carefully before you reply and if it's not specific ask and confirm.

Here's a thought.....

How about being more concise with what the hell you're posting next time.... then again, that's askin a lot out of you..... I don't have to ask anyone to confirm anything anyone posts on a forum....

Regardless, it's still a foolish idea.... from the old Q79 terminal, you have to go through Floral Park to get to Elmont... If those NIMBY's don't buses running along tulip, what makes you think they want buses running on plainfield....

extending buses to plainfield/elmont links "several corridors in a grid".... yeah, that little neck & glen oaks folks aint tryna get to.... and I guarantee you no N6 rider will look to seek a transfer to a bus going to that part of Queens... So how much more ridership would that really yield, compared to the low ridership of the Q79......

Fooling yourself if you think anything significant.

Don't tell me the Q79 had low ridership, then come up w/ an extension which would travel down a road that won't do anything for that low ridership.....

Simply reviving the route would give those riders SOMETHING.

Right now there is a huge void...... between francis lewis & little neck out there, on weekends, there's a grand total of ZERO bus service to get anywhere south of northern blvd - TO northern blvd.

Houston, we have a goddamn problem.

You don't measure success (or failure) of a route on the first day.....

That's what you don't seem to get....

Here's a thought.....

How about being more concise with what the hell you're posting next time.... then again, that's askin a lot out of you..... I don't have to ask anyone to confirm anything anyone posts on a forum....

Regardless, it's still a foolish idea.... from the old Q79 terminal, you have to go through Floral Park to get to Elmont... If those NIMBY's don't buses running along tulip, what makes you think they want buses running on plainfield....

extending buses to plainfield/elmont links "several corridors in a grid".... yeah, that little neck & glen oaks folks aint tryna get to.... and I guarantee you no N6 rider will look to seek a transfer to a bus going to that part of Queens... So how much more ridership would that really yield, compared to the low ridership of the Q79......

Fooling yourself if you think anything significant.

Don't tell me the Q79 had low ridership, then come up w/ an extension which would travel down a road that won't do anything for that low ridership.....

Simply reviving the route would give those riders SOMETHING.

Right now there is a huge void...... between francis lewis & little neck out there, on weekends, there's a grand total of ZERO bus service to get anywhere south of northern blvd - TO northern blvd.

Houston, we have a goddamn problem.

You don't measure success of a route on the first day.....

That's what you don't seem to get....

ERR I abandoned the GWB idea you know it would be better off as a coachusa service. While the main reason why I came up with the idea was the metrocard. Then I realized that structure of through travellers doesn't mesh well with MTA bus routes and MTA is more feeder type. The Q79 was a crosstown feeder and nothing more the only thing it had going for it was TIMED transfers with several if not all (east-west) bus lines that it crosses N and Q routes included that was it's ability that MTA didn't emphasize if they marketed it better I believe ridership would have increased. Putting an MTA line on cross bronx from queens ain't right I would at least give Q79 bayside and bay terrance. Let Q31 do BX east side or Q79 or something the Q50 ain't hacking it it's only useful if you are going from flushing or south of flushing or west.

The I-95 corridor is more an intercity(regional) problem than a problem fit for MTA

Its nice that we have a community fighting for their bus service. But I doubt the MTA is willing to replenish the whole route. I personally, needed the route to connect between the Q30 and the Little Neck LIRR station. I wish they would implement the route because it would make my travel to school everyday so much easier. And they community is right, the MTA didn't do their homework because if they did, they would have given alternative service. They're employed by the people of NYC and should serve ALL the people of NYC, yet they clearly miss that point and only give a s**t about $$$$

NOT beyond that is too extreme plus q79 would retain short trips in queens for reliability at rush hour. via Q12 extension at rush. I am just taking a chance with an experiment if it works then it works if it fails o well then it fails but you can't just not try.

BS I would never send a rte to albany we have trailways and intercity bus that is madness. don't blow this out of proportion ur getting annoying

HMM maybe coachusa shortline can have trips to eastern queens via GWB and bronx instead of using Q79 there is a thought and maybe a much better idea if ran similar to X23/24 but open door and ran by coachusa the line can enter LI via LIE while Q79 can be untouched and extended to elmont and maybe bay terrance or co-op city/Pelham instead. For cross-bronx service to work a HOV bus lane will have to be made that starts from the entrance an entrance that is exclusive. Maybe shortline or red and Tan would be a better operator for such a regional service than MTA the only reason why I suggested Q79 was cause most travellers in NYC area who use any form of transit use metrocard.

I knew you meant Hempstead Tpke. But the problem is it still won't work!

I knew you meant Hempstead Tpke. But the problem is it still won't work!

how will it not work it will add a connection between elmont and ne queens and several other routes your point makes no sense elaborate. You can't ignore the direction of traffic on little neck parkway and plainfield ave my idea isn't about the community its about travel patterns and getting ppl out of their cars. Besides floral park LIRR service is crappy anyway. N1 and N6 (sort of) gain an additional travel desttination thats now reachable So my point about that is very much valid.

how will it not work it will add a connection between elmont and ne queens and several other routes your point makes no sense elaborate. You can't ignore the direction of traffic on little neck parkway and plainfield ave my idea isn't about the community its about travel patterns and getting ppl out of their cars. Besides floral park LIRR service is crappy anyway. N1 and N6 (sort of) gain an additional travel desttination thats now reachable So my point about that is very much valid.

My point makes no sense, but you think an N6 rider is seeking destinations along Little Neck Pkwy?

Archived