MTA officials 'didn't do their homework' before rejecting Queens bus line, locals say

Harry

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Q79 had 3-leg transfer privileges (Q79-to-other-bus-to-subway) specifically to give it subway connections without subjecting it to the traffic vagaries of Downtown Flushing and Jamaica.
EXACTLY that was why I wanted it to extend to elmont!!!!!!!!!! I already abandoned the regional idea a private is better suited to regional needs rather than mta

Interesting tell me more about those areas are their crime rates making elmont undesireable??

I am not going to benefit current or former Q79 users this is for NEW riders that will be able to use it. The reason why MTA wants to eliminate neighborhoody routes is more than just low ridership their isolation prevents growth and eliminates potential markets that can benefit the line and corridor within the neighborhood and those neighborhoody lines with exceptions like Q33 and some BK ones and BX23 don't have concentration of riders to support the lines themselves. Also those lines do nothing for the many ppl travelling to and from the said neighborhoods. I am just going by partly what an MTA guy told me at the LIB meeting one said "meandering without purpose" to describe the N8 and Q79 routes. The current Q79 and N1 riders won't really benefit but Now the Q79 and N1 will be open to NEW riders who now have a transit option that's practical increasing demand for Q79 and N1 and any linking route I DK m

---------

I'm sposed to be on vacation and for a minute I catch some wifi and go on the forums and I'm greeted by this bullsh!t?

Take your pills, and Cait, you a responsible moderator, close this. I'm going back to relaxing on Via Garibaldi 12 with my relatives. Legit that's the street name. I think I'm on vacation and I still can't escape you people... :( You all enjoy your nice calm discussion, I'll sit this one out. I want my vacation...

No one asked for you to bother with this now you enjoy ur vacation.

EXACTLY that was why I wanted it to extend to elmont!!!!!!!!!!

Thing 1:

An extension to Elmont isn't necessary for subway connections. The Q36 and Q43 offer the same subway connections that the N6 offers.

Thing 2:

The Village of Floral Park will never allow buses on its streets. When NYCT tried in 1996, the village elders claimed that "all those buses" would "target their children"! (Do the existing commercial trucks target children? Do Floral Park parents actually teach their children to play in traffic?)

Thing 1:

An extension to Elmont isn't necessary for subway connections. The Q36 and Q43 offer the same subway connections that the N6 offers.

Thing 2:

The Village of Floral Park will never allow buses on its streets. When NYCT tried in 1996, the village elders claimed that "all those buses" would "target their children"! (Do the existing commercial trucks target children? Do Floral Park parents actually teach their children to play in traffic?)

NOPE that extension is not for subway connection it's for extra bus connection that makes certain transit trips become practical I mean very unusual trips. This will have a spill over effect that would increase ridership on Q79. Plus some Q2 and Q110 runs only a few will DH to elmont then turn into Q79s via interlining. Plus with the extension to bayside LIRR or bay terrance(if possible) Some Q13 or Q28 runs can interline with Q79. Plus with Q31 extending to drye ave (5) station via co-op city ppl from jamacia no longer have to use Q44 to Q50. Plus eastern queens will gain access to the bronx without going through flushing decreasing potential transit travel time. This will have an indirect impact on several lines that connect or meet with Q31 and should garner enough ridership to force weekend service to return.

I apologize for my indirect way of speech but when I think of something I am never looking into just one group of ppl I am looking into several groups at once. I actually gained some insight from cait sith about how these so called communities operate and their strengths and weaknesses. I also learned about potential arguments and how to shoot down each one indirectly. I know indirect is my favorite word. In my proposal the Q79 will NOT stop in floral park and will run express. Plus those idiots have stupid arguments LMAO at the buses are attacking our children!!!!! Do LI ppl really think like that?? in terms of LIB as well??

I want my Q-75 back. Cut it back to 179 Street and run it during the rush hours every 20 minutes. Its what should have happened last June.

Actually the Q75 was never a high ridership line HOWEVER it's unique segment could have been given to the Q88 via rerouting over cloverdale blvd to replace the Q75 partially or the segment that did not duplicate thus enhancing service indirectly to every 10 mins rather than every 20. The Q88 runs every 10 mins and with that Q75 passengers would only have to use Q88 then use Q17 both of which are more frequent so it would have been faster for someone to use Q88 then transfer to Q17 rather than wait for the next Q75.

The routing structure it had was doomed to fail

Actually the Q75 was never a high ridership line HOWEVER it's unique segment could have been given to the Q88 via rerouting over cloverdale blvd to replace the Q75 partially or the segment that did not duplicate thus enhancing service indirectly to every 10 mins rather than every 20. The Q88 runs every 10 mins and with that Q75 passengers would only have to use Q88 then use Q17 both of which are more frequent so it would have been faster for someone to use Q88 then transfer to Q17 rather than wait for the next Q75.

The routing structure it had was doomed to fail

Problem with your plan: That would add at least 6-7 minutes of running time to the Q88 in the unique section in Oakland Gardens, as it would have to circle through Oakland Gardens and then come back out to run down Springfield Boulevard. Its real problem was that a deadhead is too expensive, no matter which end it's from. That is why the Q30 was moved from Queens Village to Jamaica.

That to me is why 2 routes should be extended...and the extensions wouldn't cost that much, since one of them would be on the city, and the other would result in a route flip leaving a shorter deadhead due the MTA's bill. One had to transfer to another route from the Q79 to go anywhere useful.

And since the MTA is losing Long Island Bus at year's end, anything involving Nassau County is out of the equation.

Problem with your plan: That would add at least 6-7 minutes of running time to the Q88 in the unique section in Oakland Gardens, as it would have to circle through Oakland Gardens and then come back out to run down Springfield Boulevard. Its real problem was that a deadhead is too expensive, no matter which end it's from. That is why the Q30 was moved from Queens Village to Jamaica.

That to me is why 2 routes should be extended...and the extensions wouldn't cost that much, since one of them would be on the city, and the other would result in a route flip leaving a shorter deadhead due the MTA's bill. One had to transfer to another route from the Q79 to go anywhere useful.

And since the MTA is losing Long Island Bus at year's end, anything involving Nassau County is out of the equation.

not according to veolia Connections can still be made with their routes

isn't cloverdale a 2 way street??

NOPE that extension is not for subway connection it's for extra bus connection that makes certain transit trips become practical I mean very unusual trips. This will have a spill over effect that would increase ridership on Q79. Plus some Q2 and Q110 runs only a few will DH to elmont then turn into Q79s via interlining. Plus with the extension to bayside LIRR or bay terrance(if possible) Some Q13 or Q28 runs can interline with Q79. Plus with Q31 extending to drye ave (5) station via co-op city ppl from jamacia no longer have to use Q44 to Q50. Plus eastern queens will gain access to the bronx without going through flushing decreasing potential transit travel time. This will have an indirect impact on several lines that connect or meet with Q31 and should garner enough ridership to force weekend service to return.

I apologize for my indirect way of speech but when I think of something I am never looking into just one group of ppl I am looking into several groups at once. I actually gained some insight from cait sith about how these so called communities operate and their strengths and weaknesses. I also learned about potential arguments and how to shoot down each one indirectly. I know indirect is my favorite word. In my proposal the Q79 will NOT stop in floral park and will run express. Plus those idiots have stupid arguments LMAO at the buses are attacking our children!!!!! Do LI ppl really think like that?? in terms of LIB as well??

That entire 1st paragraph reeks of pure blatant, unadulterated ignorance.... I'll let someone else address that garbage, b/c I really want to focus on your commentary as it pertains to the basis of this thread (the Q79).....

Having the Q79 run nonstop in floral park doesn't matter.... the idea of any bus traveling through their neighborhood will not be welcomed with open arms.... I don't know what it is about that you continue to be stubborn about.....

You can't attempt to maximize the ridership of every route by some extension - that is the flaw in your overall thought process when it comes to surface transportation.... You think it's a non factor, and are quick to dismiss it, but the communities a route travels through DOES matter.... and don't tell me you don't feel that way either b/c it shows in your posts in this thread.... It isn't about "always getting what a community wants" & them having to "share".... It's all about not leaving a community with NOTHING, as it pertains to a particular travel pattern.....

You don't think up spur-of-the-moment ideas for routes out there & hope and pray that 1) it'll be implemented, and 2) people will ride them.... you don't put buses on the road & extend it somewhere else in hopes of potential new ridership.... it simply, solely doesn't work like that.... If you don't know enough about a particular area, don't speak on it.....

.....and to answer that last question, yes there are people in LI that think like that... same thing happened w/ the (suffolk) S92 down there in east hampton; worried about the safety of their students.....

NOPE that extension is not for subway connection it's for extra bus connection...

IS that connection really, truly needed?

...that makes certain transit trips become practical I mean very unusual trips.

How unusual? Does anybody actually want to make such trips?

In my proposal the Q79 will NOT stop in floral park and will run express.

Whether the bus stops there or not is irrelevant. They don't want the bus to even BE in their village.

That entire 1st paragraph reeks of pure blatant, unadulterated ignorance.... I'll let someone else address that garbage, b/c I really want to focus on your commentary as it pertains to the basis of this thread (the Q79).....

Having the Q79 run nonstop in floral park doesn't matter.... the idea of any bus traveling through their neighborhood will not be welcomed with open arms.... I don't know what it is about that you continue to be stubborn about.....

You can't attempt to maximize the ridership of every route by some extension - that is the flaw in your overall thought process when it comes to surface transportation.... You think it's a non factor, and are quick to dismiss it, but the communities a route travels through DOES matter.... and don't tell me you don't feel that way either b/c it shows in your posts in this thread.... It isn't about "always getting what a community wants" & them having to "share".... It's all about not leaving a community with NOTHING, as it pertains to a particular travel pattern.....

You don't think up spur-of-the-moment ideas for routes out there & hope and pray that 1) it'll be implemented, and 2) people will ride them.... you don't put buses on the road & extend it somewhere else in hopes of potential new ridership.... it simply, solely doesn't work like that.... If you don't know enough about a particular area, don't speak on it.....

.....and to answer that last question, yes there are people in LI that think like that... same thing happened w/ the (suffolk) S92 down there in east hampton; worried about the safety of their students.....

When I was there tons of students used thee 10C so why did cutting back the S92 even become a factor if the students ur supposed to protect use that bus??

You know, I thank god everyday he (QJT) doesn't work for operations planning

You know, I thank god everyday he (QJT) doesn't work for operations planning

stop being a jerk I already said I am not short distance!!!!!!!! If I were to be planning I would be better for intercity long distance type. I admit I know more about the upstate regional buses than ones in NYC. Don't be an ass

stop being a jerk I already said I am not short distance!!!!!!!! If I were to be planning I would be better for intercity long distance type. I admit I know more about the upstate regional buses than ones in NYC. Don't be an ass

I was never a jerk. You're the one turning local routes into regional routes. I and many other members have told you over and over, these ridiculous extentions will never work. It's not about "attracting new riders" or "get people out of their cars"

I was never a jerk. You're the one turning local routes into regional routes. I and many other members have told you over and over, these ridiculous extentions will never work. It's not about "attracting new riders" or "get people out of their cars"

DUDE I already abandoned the crazy extensions and went moderate. I know that I don't have anything extreme for Q79 just a simple rerouting to bay terrance via northern and bell blvd thats it the rest of the route is fine. The Q79 will gain additional riders in addition to interlining options thus decreasing cost offsetting the extension's price As for Q31 let the line be rerouted to bay terrance then extended to drye ave (5) for BL links via co-op city or bay plaza and pelham bay.

Unrelated is there a need to run buses on baychester ave in bronx?? If so what about BX29 being used for such a service.

As for long distance I think that that is a job best left to coachusa via contract to NYC DOT and LI with agreement dropped should a miracle happen and the route becomes profitable.

By the way I gained new route ideas from ur comments

....I know that I don't have anything extreme for Q79 just a simple rerouting to bay terrance via northern and bell blvd thats it the rest of the route is fine. The Q79 will gain additional riders in addition to interlining options thus decreasing cost offsetting the extension's price....

Simply put, the fact that you have anything for the Q79 is the problem.... I'm gonna keep sounding like a broken record with this - It's about the community, in this case....

A bus network should consist of long distance routes, moderate distance routes, and short distance routes..... You're no different than the MTA when it comes to tryna mar the short distanced routes.....

Get off that whole trying to gain additional riders tip....

Simply put, the fact that you have anything for the Q79 is the problem.... I'm gonna keep sounding like a broken record with this - It's about the community, in this case....

A bus network should consist of long distance routes, moderate distance routes, and short distance routes..... You're no different than the MTA when it comes to tryna mar the short distanced routes.....

Get off that whole trying to gain additional riders tip....

true but sending it to bay terrance eliminates the need to use 3 buses to reach that area !!!!!!!!!!! making the line practical to more users again there isn't sufficient ridership to warrent the Q79 in it's limited form In a way maring the short distance routes was what caught NJT's attention on a case by case basis. But the Q79 doesn't have the ridership for it to remain a little neck community bus this isn't co-op where the BX23 is crush loaded all the time. Q79 was mostly empty. Again sending it to bay terrance is the most logical way. Cause you add on more ridership without screwing over the current riders. Plus you can interline it with Q13/16 or 28 on some or all runs. In addition Q79 can interline with Q1 or Q36 depending on the selected runs offsetting the increase for going to bay terrance and the increased ridership makes the route overall cheaper to operate. Yeah I do sound like MTA ur not the only one who told me that. I want the Q79 idea to sound as much like the MTA as possible cause if the idea has alot of points in common with the MTA's way of thinking then there is a lower chance of the restoration idea being shot down!!!!!!! I want it to sound like the MTA to increase chances of being adopted!!!!!!!

I'm being an ass, but you're coming up with your bullshit again? Who the hell in Eastchester, Co-op City or Pelham Bay for that matter, want direct access to Jamaica?

its not just jamacia look at the connecting routes I won't try to bore you with a full explanation that will take days to complete I know that. It's to address NE bronx and eastern queens. Jamacia is just a side effect of the Q31 thats all. Try looking at the clearview then you will get it enough of the short distance thinking look at flaws then find ways to kill em.

Again I don't come up with bullshit I only look at traffic patterns. You can never understand unless you look for possibility

true but sending it to bay terrance eliminates the need to use 3 buses to reach that area !!!!!!!!!!! making the line practical to more users again there isn't sufficient ridership to warrent the Q79 in it's limited form In a way maring the short distance routes was what caught NJT's attention on a case by case basis. But the Q79 doesn't have the ridership for it to remain a little neck community bus this isn't co-op where the BX23 is crush loaded all the time. Q79 was mostly empty. Again sending it to bay terrance is the most logical way. Cause you add on more ridership without screwing over the current riders. Plus you can interline it with Q13/16 or 28 on some or all runs. In addition Q79 can interline with Q1 or Q36 depending on the selected runs offsetting the increase for going to bay terrance and the increased ridership makes the route overall cheaper to operate. Yeah I do sound like MTA ur not the only one who told me that.

I want the Q79 idea to sound as much like the MTA as possible cause if the idea has alot of points in common with the MTA's way of thinking then there is a lower chance of the restoration idea being shot down!!!!!!! want it to sound like the MTA to increase chances of being adopted!!!!!!!

In other words, you don't care about the riders....

Furthermore, the Q79 doesn't have to be the Bx23, or any other short route that has high(er) ridership.... It may have been mostly empty, but there is an obvious void out there... Little neck pkwy deserves bus service, point blank period.

First we shut down your idea of sending the Q79 to Elmont.... now you wanna make like sending em to Bay terrace (of all places) is the next best thing..... yeah, b/c bay terrace residents are tryna get that that area of Queens along/around Little Neck Pkwy, and vice versa....

and Lol @ you thinking, thinking like the MTA = appeasing the MTA.....

Archived