Will Any Modern Car Fleet (1971-Present) Be Preserved?

R68 Subway Car

I was just thinking about this. I just wonder if they will preserve the R44s, R46s, R62, R62A, R68, R68A, R142, R142A, R143, R160A, R160B or any car afterwords for that matter? I think they are just as historically significant as the R1-9s, Redbirds and other old school cars. What do you guys think? Debate!

I was just thinking about this. I just wonder if they will preserve the R44s, R46s, R62, R62A, R68, R68A, R142, R142A, R143, R160A, R160B or any car afterwords for that matter? I think they are just as historically significant as the R1-9s, Redbirds and other old school cars. What do you guys think? Debate!

Andrew you forgot to add that a few of the ancient R-32's though a dying breed are still active running on the (A) and (C) lines.

Guest lance25

Why would they preserve any mainline R44s? I get that they were the first 75 footers and beat a speed record back in the day, but barring a full rebuild, those cars are always going to have structural issues. It'd be better if they preserve an R46 set since they're built similarly.

They have preserved the R32, R38, R40 and R42 already. I was talking about the cars after them.

The R46s are the oldest car class that doesn't have any cars slated for preservation yet. The rest of the fleet, aside from the NTT prototypes, have quite a few years before facing retirement unless some other unforeseen occurrence appears.

Oops I should have had double checked on NYCSubway.org um yeah the R44's aren't going to be preserved.

One may or may not be preserved in Randalls Island as according to NYC subway .org but that car was not overhauled and was involved in an accident just like 1.5 R62s that were also taken to RI.

All car models should have 2 cars preserved. The main problem is in the future, where will we put them?

That's why the Transit Museum is proposing several places; they had a proposal to use a lost station east of Euclid Ave. and they even had a proposal to use the City Hall Loop as an IRT transit museum (correct me if I is wrong).

That's why the Transit Museum is proposing several places; they had a proposal to use a lost station east of Euclid Ave. and they even had a proposal to use the City Hall Loop as an IRT transit museum (correct me if I is wrong).

City Hall = Good Idea and Bad Idea. 1, It is useless space the only activity it sees is a tour every now and then. 2, If the (6) can't use this station than that means it will have to loop Bowling Green Which Will Just Waste Time And Delay (4) and (5) trains due to having switch at Bklyn Bridge. And if that was to happen the (6) would have to use the lay up tracks north of Fulton St and connect. It's a Good Idea but could have Bad Side effects.

Guest lance25

The City Hall loop was to be reopened for Transit Museum functions, not as a storage for new museum trains. If I'm not mistaken, there isn't too much space for train storage. Plus, even if there was space, they'd run the risk of delaying the (6) trains for all the obvious reasons.

The City Hall loop would be great. But what would happen Bklyn Bridge. They could also use Chambers Streets (J)(Z)'s abandon platforms.

The platforms may be abandoned, but the tracks are still in use. The side tracks are in use when the (J) and (Z) trains go to Broad St and the middle ones when the (J) terminates at Chambers St.

Like I said before, we have at least another decade before the next car class reaches retirement age. That's plenty of time for the Museum to find a location for space for it's growing collection. It will have to be something along the lines of the current museum at Court St (IND), a place that's not in the way of revenue trains, but has easy track connections for fan trips and trips to and from the yard.

As for candidates for preservation, the R46s, which will reach 40 years in 2015, aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Current plans call for those trains to stick around for some time, either as part of the (SIR) fleet or the (NYCT) mainline fleet.

Whats wrong with saving an R44? Its not like they are going to be moving or anything.They'll just be siting in a museum with their lights on.Cmon you really think the car will fall apart with museum attendees in the car.:)

Then they will rot.

That's why the Transit Museum is proposing several places; they had a proposal to use a lost station east of Euclid Ave.

The Transit Museum has done no such thing.

and they even had a proposal to use the City Hall Loop as an IRT transit museum (correct me if I is wrong).

Wrong.

The Museum was interested in opening the City Hall Station to the public and possibly putting exhibits there but given the need for (6) trains to turn there, there is no way any equipment was every going to be putting any trains there. Due to security concerns after 9/11, it basically went nowhere, and a formal "proposal" was never created.

In addition, the Museum has its own expenses and things going on. Times are tough right now and when budgets are cut it affects all departments including the Museum. They need to continue preserving, and restoring what they have. Adding and expanding are not really an option right now. The Museum needs money and support (in general) - ESPECIALLY from the notoriously cheap railfan contingent, and that is why I get on people who "chase" trips because they "don't like to ride as much as they like to photograph" but yet somehow mysteriously they always seem to ride the free ones. We are lucky that there are organized nonprofit that preserves the equipment we claim to be interested in. For those who rode the IRT Composites and the Manhattan El Cars, it wasn't so. So don't take it for granted.

Whats wrong with saving an R44? Its not like they are going to be moving or anything.They'll just be siting in a museum with their lights on.Cmon you really think the car will fall apart with museum attendees in the car.:)

Also not true. It is necessary from time to time to move museum trains around for various reasons.

Also museum "attendees" as you call them don't perform restorative body maintenance. If there are any leaks in the tunnels due to heavy rain, it could degrade the condition of the car further. And I say the tunnels, because there isn't really space (especially on the IND/BMT side of the museum platform) to display additional cars. And there's no way an Arnine or something else that is a significant piece in the collection goes into the tunnel so an R44, which looks to the untrained eye a lot like the still running R46, can sit there.

Also not true. It is necessary from time to time to move museum trains around for various reasons.

Also museum "attendees" as you call them don't perform restorative body maintenance. If there are any leaks in the tunnels due to heavy rain, it could degrade the condition of the car further. And I say the tunnels, because there isn't really space (especially on the IND/BMT side of the museum platform) to display additional cars. And there's no way an Arnine or something else that is a significant piece in the collection goes into the tunnel so an R44, which looks to the untrained eye a lot like the still running R46, can sit there.

I didnt think of it that way.In that case then take a R46 car and add those glass partitions near the door to give it a equal R44/46 look.Only railfans would know the difference anyway.Because theres no R46 without a R44.:)

City Hall = Good Idea and Bad Idea. 1, It is useless space the only activity it sees is a tour every now and then. 2, If the (6) can't use this station than that means it will have to loop Bowling Green Which Will Just Waste Time And Delay (4) and (5) trains due to having switch at Bklyn Bridge. And if that was to happen the (6) would have to use the lay up tracks north of Fulton St and connect. It's a Good Idea but could have Bad Side effects.

So! It would'nt be really bad.

Archived