What is your favorite and least favorite Bronx bus line

I Run Trains

i would have to say that My Favorites would Have to Be

Bx11 & Bx35 because those are My Home Routes. and The Basicly are The same Route from start to finish with the 11 runing mainly on 170 and the 35 on 167, 168, and 169.

Bx12 - You Never Have to wait Long On The Bus. Its Fast i can depend on it

Lease Favorites

Bx9 - That Bus Is always Crowded and it is very Slow!

Bx18 - That Bus Is Boring. Its a Very Short Route, and it is Extremely Long waits

Bx19 - Very Crowded!

Bx36 - This is a Home Route for me But if i dont have to take it, i wont.. Too Crowded for me, and very slow!

Favorite

BX12

-Has great headways

-During the summer it has a lot of nice looking girls that take this to the beach.

QBX1

-Fun route to ride

-Uses orion V CNGs

-It goes across the whitestone bridge

Least faovrite

BX30

-The headways are way to long

As a driver I enjoyed the:D

Bx 20- Riverdale line, short but very nice people and country like setting for at least half the route with a good layover-10 min!!! Bx 41 limited - pretty level and straight route, great in winter, people not all great but if its limited your crackheads get off really quick, at least before they nod off into oblivion and you need the cops to get them off.

Bx1/2 limited- same deal straight level, lots of crackheads and gang homies, put alot of my peeps (PR) so not too bad for me;)

M5- beautiful line!!

HATED::mad:

Bx 36- long , many turns, horrid people on with you too long, short layovers, always late,therefore no layover.

M104- No limited, drive along bway with other buses like a chocho train. If you are at a busstop and your leader is at the next one which is one block away you have to remain at your stop until he leaves. Thus causing backups all along bway cause the dispatchers dont want you leap frogging!!! They really should get limited service-the people want it. I thought they listen to the public, but this might be a case of selective hearing!

Bx9- Huge, steep hill- back in the days the drivers used to make the people get out of the bus and walk up. They would get up the hill before the bus and sometimes even have time to get the driver coffee!!! No we just chug along on our artics up this hill with a stop midway on it. Hate that stop and you are guarentted to have to stop on it. During rush hour, all of Fordham road is practically impassible even with a bus lane. HATE THIS LINE. besides alot of the regulars play alot of road games....

Bx 20- Riverdale line, short but very nice people and country like setting for at least half the route with a good layover-10 min!!! Bx 41 limited - pretty level and straight route, great in winter, people not all great but if its limited your crackheads get off really quick, at least before they nod off into oblivion and you need the cops to get them off.

Bx1/2 limited- same deal straight level, lots of crackheads and gang homies, put alot of my peeps (PR) so not too bad for me;)

M5- beautiful line!!

Bx 36- long , many turns, horrid people on with you too long, short layovers, always late,therefore no layover.

M104- No limited, drive along bway with other buses like a chocho train. If you are at a busstop and your leader is at the next one which is one block away you have to remain at your stop until he leaves. Thus causing backups all along bway cause the dispatchers dont want you leap frogging!!! They really should get limited service-the people want it. I thought they listen to the public, but this might be a case of selective hearing!

Bx9- Huge, steep hill- back in the days the drivers used to make the people get out of the bus and walk up. They would get up the hill before the bus and sometimes even have time to get the driver coffee!!! No we just chug along on our artics up this hill with a stop midway on it. Hate that stop and you are guarentted to have to stop on it. During rush hour, all of Fordham road is practically impassible even with a bus lane. HATE THIS LINE. besides alot of the regulars play alot of road games....

Leap Frogging works wonders if it's set up right. The purpose of having a leader should be for he/she to take on the load, and the lacker should take over so all the other bus has to do is drop off. Take a note of this (MTA)!!!

Bx20 senior line. Just like the Bx18. Don't like the Bx18, the Bx20 is great, but I hate short trips. Too many trips. Bx1/2 I loved, plenty of running time, and plenty of layover on some trips. Bx41 has become more like the Bx1/2 with the layover time. The Limiteds are the best on those two lines. The Bx9, only worked it 3 times since I started 2+years ago, and would never pick on it. Too many people at Target and that mall. You are guaranteed to be late, even late at night. Your time at the end, well forget it........M100 sucks a$$ also. Can't wait to get off this line. Bx41 isn't as hectic as this line is. Rumor has it that the Bx20 is going to be discontinued this fall or winter pick, and the M100 will go to Riverdale 246st. The M100 will no longer serve 125st. Good, because it makes the equipment KB has more efficient. Bx20 is actually a useless fuel burning line......Bx36 worked 1 pick on that one. Not enough running and layover time. 181st bridge discouraged me from that line, just as I would never work the Bx3, for the same reason.......

Leap Frogging works wonders if it's set up right. The purpose of having a leader should be for he/she to take on the load, and the lacker should take over so all the other bus has to do is drop off. Take a note of this (MTA)!!!

We do that. If my leader is late, I will go around to help them out. Some drivers would just ride your a$$, till your sore. Some start driving like they don't want your help, so I just back off and stop helping them.........

I'm gonna add on....

I have a Love hate relationship with the Bx3.

Sometimes it can be a Sweet Route depending on the time. I remember Looking at the bus schedule at 181 st and St Nick and it said the approx. Time of the route is 20 Minutes. But that's bs. Its takes about 20 minutes for that bus to get out of manhattan! And another 20 minutes to get to Fordham Rd but Between Frodham and 238st it moves pretty quick. Once in a Blue you will see an artic on the Bx3.

Bx15 - With the Execption of the willis ave & 3rd ave Bridge and 125st Traffic, this is a pretty smooth route.

Bx41 - I was raised on the bus being from Webster Ave.. "Yes!!!! In the projects!!!" I used to ride the Limited everyday to school from 170

To the Last stop, and hope on the Bx41 school Speical Back home when it stopped in from of my school Mount Saint Michael. Its a Nice Run, sometimes it can be long and boring. I never busfan this route because I know this route inside out.... But I have a Question for DOB or any other B/O that had drivin this route about a beef i have with this route... Why does the display sign reads 146st But all the drivers make the last stop 150st and Melrose?

Bx7 - Another bus that's a block away from home.... I Just Hate the Line... I take the 1 Train Instead! Lol

Bx20 senior line. Just like the Bx18. Don't like the Bx18, the Bx20 is great, but I hate short trips. Too many trips. Bx1/2 I loved, plenty of running time, and plenty of layover on some trips. Bx41 has become more like the Bx1/2 with the layover time. The Limiteds are the best on those two lines. The Bx9, only worked it 3 times since I started 2+years ago, and would never pick on it. Too many people at Target and that mall. You are guaranteed to be late, even late at night. Your time at the end, well forget it........M100 sucks a$$ also. Can't wait to get off this line. Bx41 isn't as hectic as this line is. Rumor has it that the Bx20 is going to be discontinued this fall or winter pick, and the M100 will go to Riverdale 246st. The M100 will no longer serve 125st. Good, because it makes the equipment KB has more efficient. Bx20 is actually a useless fuel burning line......Bx36 worked 1 pick on that one. Not enough running and layover time. 181st bridge discouraged me from that line, just as I would never work the Bx3, for the same reason.......

If you don't pick the M100, what will you choose?

I agree about the Bx3, it's a good run midday and late nights and comes frequently but needs artics. Rush hours the bus is a nightmare, takes forever to get off 181 st (they should make it only open to buses) and then crawls to at least Fordham.

I like the Bx18 and 32. The 18 can get packed but it's never hectic and the Bx32 ended by my house so I would take it a lot.

I hate the Bx10 with a passion. Honestly, when it comes at night it's no problem but it never follows the schedule at any other time. I can't understand why there aren't artics on it during rush hours with all the HS students. It takes forever to get everyone on and off the bus when we finally do, the B/O cant move the bus because it's overcrowded. Yet somehow they always say move to the back when we can't. The elderly make it worse, they can never make it up the steps which only makes the ride longer.

Bx31 is my favorite, they use all kinds of buses on this route, even D60HFs in the AM rush. It's an average route but ALWAYS there for me!

I hate the Bx14, I always miss this effing bus as I get off the Bx31. Drivers are slow, and too many elderly people slowing it down. Me no gusta...

After over 16 years on the job I am well aware how effective leap frogging is. However dispatchers , at the time I worked it, had a ruling that you were forbidden to do this. We had superintendents all over that line watching us like hawks. Needless to say passengers were frustrated with the wait time and what looked like a train of buses going down bway. Of course they would load up on the first bus killing him with the overload. No matter how much you'd say "listen the buses behind me are empty take them" They'd squeeze on your bus regardless! Then they'd get even more frustrated when you are given a short to columbus circle and they have to all get off and wait for the very bus you told them to take in the first place....aaarrrrggghhh... memories ahhhhh!!!! Until i get back (if i go back:rolleyes:) it's your problem now guys;). i do feel for ya though

I'm gonna add on....

I have a Love hate relationship with the Bx3.

Sometimes it can be a Sweet Route depending on the time. I remember Looking at the bus schedule at 181 st and St Nick and it said the approx. Time of the route is 20 Minutes. But that's bs. Its takes about 20 minutes for that bus to get out of manhattan! And another 20 minutes to get to Fordham Rd but Between Frodham and 238st it moves pretty quick. Once in a Blue you will see an artic on the Bx3.

Bx15 - With the Execption of the willis ave & 3rd ave Bridge and 125st Traffic, this is a pretty smooth route.

Bx41 - I was raised on the bus being from Webster Ave.. "Yes!!!! In the projects!!!" I used to ride the Limited everyday to school from 170

To the Last stop, and hope on the Bx41 school Speical Back home when it stopped in from of my school Mount Saint Michael. Its a Nice Run, sometimes it can be long and boring. I never busfan this route because I know this route inside out.... But I have a Question for DOB or any other B/O that had drivin this route about a beef i have with this route... Why does the display sign reads 146st But all the drivers make the last stop 150st and Melrose?

Bx7 - Another bus that's a block away from home.... I Just Hate the Line... I take the 1 Train Instead! Lol

As for why does the sign say 146 and our last stop is 150,,,, at 149 is the train transfer as well as bus transfers to manhatten lines.... we then cross the street make the left and quick right and a right to bank our buses on the only place we can safely fit our artics on both sides of the street without impeding traffic. Unfortunately its in front of a drug "rehab"place:(. I think originally it was supposed to be 146, but with the #2 local and express buses we had no room to fit without double parking and that's just not happening in that narrow area during day peak hours.

Forgot to add:

Good:

Bx11: A route that doesn't bunch up much and is usually on schedule, also runs 22 hours a day! I wonder if the Artics ran this route, if the middle of the bus will pop up like a lunch table due to the STEEP uphills this route goes through (though it doesn't need Artics).

Bx16: This route runs very fast and is usually very empty, it's on time except @ the heart of Rush Hour. They also use those fast Orion Vs on there.

Bx8: This route does something about lateness, they make people get out the late one and send them to the bus behind, while the late bus deadheads to the last stop. Also I'm usually the ONLY one on this bus even if it is late for like 30% of the route! The weekend service is crap though and stops running after 8pm on sunday!

Bad:

Bx30: It ALWAYS bunches up at Rush Hours, only has one Artic on the Weekdays with a SLOW driver, if this bus was on time it wouldn't EVER need Artics. Also the buses on this route leave smelly exhaust fumes and more smoke from the engine compared to the Bx16 since the 30 drivers don't take care of thier buses (same for Bx28 on this one).

Bx36: Just add some LIMITED service from 6AM-8PM and I will be happy.

Bx17: Just...eww. Usually bunches up all hours of the day when it's running, crowded even when on time, and very unreliable. Just take the Bx15 and then walk.

Bx19: Also need LIMITED service. Slowest bus in the Bronx! Also those EGR D60HFs are not built for that route, they don't get enough breaks at the end of the route so the engine gets very hot and smoky.

Forgot to add:

Good:

Bx11: A route that doesn't bunch up much and is usually on schedule, also runs 22 hours a day! I wonder if the Artics ran this route, if the middle of the bus will pop up like a lunch table due to the STEEP uphills this route goes through (though it doesn't need Artics).

Bad

Bx36: Just add some LIMITED service from 6AM-8PM and I will be happy.

The Bx11 don't really have Steep hills... the hills on that bus ain't too bad.. I'm actually on the Bx11 bus as I type this and we are on 170 and Grand Concourse on Bus 7808 and this bus is PACKED!!!!!.

But what I was gonna say about the hills, the Bx11 is not Bad with hills, Its the Bx35 that has a lot of hills!!!!

And they will use artics on the Bx11 because it would be hell driving those on Shakesspare, 168 st and Ogden

And West Farms has no Limited routes and they really need it on the Bx19 and Bx36

The Bx11 don't really have Steep hills... the hills on that bus ain't too bad.. I'm actually on the Bx11 bus as I type this and we are on 170 and Grand Concourse on Bus 7808 and this bus is PACKED!!!!!.

But what I was gonna say about the hills, the Bx11 is not Bad with hills, Its the Bx35 that has a lot of hills!!!!

And they will use artics on the Bx11 because it would be hell driving those on Shakesspare, 168 st and Ogden

And West Farms has no Limited routes and they really need it on the Bx19 and Bx36

What about those hills right before approaching Southern Boulevard GW Bridge bound? The VII CNGs can barely get out second gear (15MPH) except being floored ALL the way up if it's not too crowded then you might get a chance. 7756 can't even leave first gear on that hill! I haven't seen any steeper hills in NYC that a bus runs on.

Try taking a look at kingsbridge hill in the bronx- well, hmmm , actually it's not a hill its a MOUNTAIN!!;)(MTA)(NYCT)

Hot day? Bus crowded? Shut the A/C off in the artic, and watch people nearly out walk you as you limp up that hill, with these weak engined artics (unless you get a good 5600-5700).......If I feel like I don't want to work, I would just leave the A/C on, and hope the bus overheats when I get to the top. Done it on the Bx19 climbing 145st hills, and bingo, next to last W/B trip bus died........

Hot day? Bus crowded? Shut the A/C off in the artic, and watch people nearly out walk you as you limp up that hill, with these weak engined artics (unless you get a good 5600-5700).......If I feel like I don't want to work, I would just leave the A/C on, and hope the bus overheats when I get to the top. Done it on the Bx19 climbing 145st hills, and bingo, next to last W/B trip bus died........
So you're the one killing buses! Just kidding. I wish more drivers shut the A/C off, especially in the early mornings and late nights.

Those 5510-5769 series is not faster than the 5250-5509 series. Also the 1000s are the fastest (especially on the highway). Maybe 5510-5769 is better on uphills because the gear ratios are closer (more acceleration but less top speed basically). If MTA just decided to get the D60LF, artics would be faster than most 40 footers in MTA!

(5:30 he outaccelerates cars a little)

Though the engine isn't supposed to sound like that... Notice how much quicker this artic hits high revs and hit those shifts, compared to ours (same exact engine and tranny).

So you're the one killing buses! Just kidding. I wish more drivers shut the A/C off, especially in the early mornings and late nights.

Those 5510-5769 series is not faster than the 5250-5509 series. Also the 1000s are the fastest (especially on the highway). Maybe 5510-5769 is better on uphills because the gear ratios are closer (more acceleration but less top speed basically). If MTA just decided to get the D60LF, artics would be faster than most 40 footers in MTA!

Though the engine isn't supposed to sound like that...

Sorry, and no offense, but I drive those. Those 5510-5700s are far faster than their older counterparts. It's not even disputable. A 5510-5700 with the A/C on will out-run most 1000's and 5250-5509's with their A/C off. I miss those 5600 from WF, cause we got old garbage at KBG. The only fast old buses at KB is 5299 (after I wrote it up 100 times in 2006), and 5270 which has a clean crisp engine sound. I love 5270. I would take a refurbished and overhauled old dawg artic over a 5510-5700 bus. Those doors (where the crowd bar should be), rattle to much........

Sorry, and no offense, but I drive those. Those 5510-5700s are far faster than their older counterparts. It's not even disputable. A 5510-5700 with the A/C on will out-run most 1000's and 5250-5509's with their A/C off. I miss those 5600 from WF, cause we got old garbage at KBG. The only fast old buses at KB is 5299 (after I wrote it up 100 times in 2006), and 5270 which has a clean crisp engine sound. I love 5270. I would take a refurbished and overhauled old dawg artic over a 5510-5700 bus. Those doors (where the crowd bar should be), rattle to much........

I agree. I was on 1037 one hot summer day going southbound on Lex (M103) and the driver had the air off and the bus still broke down at the top of the hill. I figured it was about to happen because it couldn't get past 6 mph on the hill just befor it.

On the same day I went uptown on the M15, bus 5606. He had the A/C on and was still flying. You also have to remember that the LF is lighter than the HF, and the weight of the bus decreases engine efficiency after time.

What about 5290-5291, 5507, and 5499?

BTW what I meant to say was 5600 series are quicker, but not faster (in terms of top speed, the older ones win) but in the 0-40, the 2002-2004s will beat them with ease. ;)

What about 5290-5291, 5507, and 5499?

BTW what I meant to say was 5600 series are quicker, but not faster (in terms of top speed, the older ones win) but in the 0-40, the 2002-2004s will beat them with ease. ;)

When I worked the Bx41 two years ago, I had put a 5700, and a 5200 on the highway. Both went 45mph at first, then flattened out at 43mph. Had a broken window when I worked the Bx1/2, deadheaded from 138st, to KB, on the Deegan. Bus was a 5200, and did same. 45mph, then 43mph it flattened at.... Only fast bus I had, was the training bus out of Fresh Pond......RTS.......

When I worked the Bx41 two years ago, I had put a 5700, and a 5200 on the highway. Both went 45mph at first, then flattened out at 43mph. Had a broken window when I worked the Bx1/2, deadheaded from 138st, to KB, on the Deegan. Bus was a 5200, and did same. 45mph, then 43mph it flattened at.... Only fast bus I had, was the training bus out of Fresh Pond......RTS.......
Thats wierd... :eek: 1089 (which actually did some service in the bronx, was going down Webster Avenue Not In Service) went over 55MPH (nowhere near redlining). Next up was 5351 going down that same Avenue (Not In Service but fresh from the Bx31 route), also did 55MPH but took a little longer to get there (not redlining but closer to it than 1016, at the same speed) and now 5738. It went down the Avenue but stopped at around 40 because it only had 4 gears due to a tranny problem (now it's fixed). Now comes 5731. Went down the same Avenue as the other D60s I mentioned (Not In Service but fresh from the Bx31 shift too), and it reached 55MPH the fastest, but it was the closest to redlining because the B400R on these kinds of D60s are geared for more acceleration and less speed on the highway. If this was more downhill, 1016 will have the most potential for speed since the transmission isn't limiting it as much.

Ahh took me a while to find my notes I took on these...

Thats wierd... :eek: 1089 (which actually did some service in the bronx, was going down Webster Avenue Not In Service) went over 55MPH (nowhere near redlining). Next up was 5351 going down that same Avenue (Not In Service but fresh from the Bx31 route), also did 55MPH but took a little longer to get there (not redlining but closer to it than 1016, at the same speed) and now 5738. It went down the Avenue but stopped at around 40 because it only had 4 gears due to a tranny problem (now it's fixed). Now comes 5731. Went down the same Avenue as the other D60s I mentioned (Not In Service but fresh from the Bx31 shift too), and it reached 55MPH the fastest, but it was the closest to redlining because the B400R on these kinds of D60s are geared for more acceleration and less speed on the highway. If this was more downhill, 1016 will have the most potential for speed since the transmission isn't limiting it as much.

Ahh took me a while to find my notes I took on these...

Alright, MTA has "tricked" speedometers that say you are going faster than you actually are. I know, I going across 181st bridge on the Bx36. Had one say 45MPH, bus was going well under that. I drove a coach bus, so I know how 45-55 mph+ feels. Don't trust what those speedometers say. When they get electronic ones, then I will trust what they say.They do this, cause they know most drivers will go "hot doggin" down the road. Get in an accident, they will have to answer questions........

Alright, MTA has "tricked" speedometers that say you are going faster than you actually are. I know, I going across 181st bridge on the Bx36. Had one say 45MPH, bus was going well under that. I drove a coach bus, so I know how 45-55 mph+ feels. Don't trust what those speedometers say. When they get electronic ones, then I will trust what they say.They do this, cause they know most drivers will go "hot doggin" down the road. Get in an accident, they will have to answer questions........

Not only that, but New Flyer and RTS speedometer sometimes need to be recalibrated. They are both supplied by the same company.

Not only that, but New Flyer and RTS speedometer sometimes need to be recalibrated. They are both supplied by the same company.

I love getting a bus that tells me I ain't moving when I am. Needle stays at zero.

Archived