Testing for Metro North Conductor

ac1987

Is it common for NYCTA employees to get hired by LIRR or MNR? Does anyone know of cases in which this happened? I asked my father and he said he only knows of one case of it happening: A dispatcher was able to get a job with LIRR, but her father was a LIRR Superintendant. Meanwhile, a motor instructor (what a TSS was referred to back then) applied with LIRR to be a conductor, and he was rejected. No connections.

Is it common for NYCTA employees to get hired by LIRR or MNR? Does anyone know of cases in which this happened? I asked my father and he said he only knows of one case of it happening: A dispatcher was able to get a job with LIRR, but her father was a LIRR Superintendant. Meanwhile, a motor instructor (what a TSS was referred to back then) applied with LIRR to be a conductor, and he was rejected. No connections.

Just let me an the other NYCTA employees who've got contacted go through the process w/o doubt ok?. I understand it's hard to get in, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try. Maybe those people didn't try hard enough because they figured hey I already got a job so it ain't too bad and didn't apply themselves hard enough.

Well I know several people who did the switch from Transit to LIRR and MNRR. As well as people quote unquote off the street. You have be consistent when applying to these jobs. Someone it the luck of the draw. The people I am referring to has no family connections to the RR. Look i applied to LIRR for engineer in 2008 I got as far as step one failed signal test. I applied this year for LIRR I did not get an email. But I got an email for MNRR conductor. Thats how it is.

Just let me an the other NYCTA employees who've got contacted go through the process w/o doubt ok?. I understand it's hard to get in, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to try. Maybe those people didn't try hard enough because they figured hey I already got a job so it ain't too bad and didn't apply themselves hard enough.

Well said!

If some took the effort they use in complaining about the system and focused that energy into trying to get hired I'd be a little more impressed. The bottom line is if you don't try, you will never get hired. I know some that have applied upwards of ten times. The first nine times nothing happened. The tenth time was the charm.

If the job is something that you want bad enough, you will never apply the effort needed. If you want it bad enough there isn't much you won't do to reach your goal.

I've been applying to MNR and LIRR since 2006. I can't apply that often since the vast majority of jobs I am not qualified for. In most cases, they are white collar management josb that require specific experience or engineering jobs that require an engineering degree.

They give you a test on mechanical apptitude, a test on vocabulary, a test on basic long addition and a test on different situations like 4 adults, 2 children and 1 senior. What's the change from $100 and how many tickets were sold. Final test is personality. Nothing can be studied for but if u want to refresh on ur mechanical skills, get one of them books.

I passed the test in September. Am just waiting for interview. Hopefully it will be soon. Anyone have any interviews coming up for this job? Assistant conductor that is.

It's a panel interview. Usually 3-4 people. Very intimidating. One person from transportation, one from training, one from recruiting. The questions are basically what would u do in different situations. What experiences compare to this position? It's tough and they put a lot of pressure on u to see if u will break. If anyone can remember any of the questions, I would love to hear some of them. I had the interview years ago but can't remember what they asked

It's a panel interview. Usually 3-4 people. Very intimidating. One person from transportation, one from training, one from recruiting. The questions are basically what would u do in different situations. What experiences compare to this position? It's tough and they put a lot of pressure on u to see if u will break. If anyone can remember any of the questions, I would love to hear some of them. I had the interview years ago but can't remember what they asked

I had a interview like this last year for Amtrak which went well until they kept stressing the fact that I got laid off from TA last year. They kept asking would I leave them if reinstated by TA and about how the training for conductor is extensive and expensive. But yeah they can be pretty intimidating, beat way threw them is to keep talking and stay on point when answering some of their tricky questions. And also have questions ready to ask them as well so you become the interviewer in a sense.

I had a interview like this last year for Amtrak which went well until they kept stressing the fact that I got laid off from TA last year. They kept asking would I leave them if reinstated by TA and about how the training for conductor is extensive and expensive. But yeah they can be pretty intimidating, best way threw them is to keep talking and stay on point when answering some of their tricky questions. And also have questions ready to ask them as well so you become the interviewer in a sense. And make sure all cell phones are turned off and dress accordingly. And also memorize some the FAQS about the job as they may ask you what do you know about being a metro north conductor.

Hey will that is funny you posted that because

I applied for amtrak also and I was called for several interviews for conductor, laborer, and machinist and they said the same thing if I was to leave to work for amtrak if transit called me would i go back. I started working for transit as a provisional i am permanent now but at the time I was provisional.

Hey will that is funny you posted that because

I applied for amtrak also and I was called for several interviews for conductor, laborer, and machinist and they said the same thing if I was to leave to work for amtrak if transit called me would i go back. I started working for transit as a provisional i am permanent now but at the time I was provisional.

Their full of shit IMHO. That's just how I feel. I went through that interview great, but they must have just not wanted me.

Thanks! ;) I am kinda small in size, i just feel like I came this far I don't want to blow it in the physical. What day is yours ?

Well congrats to both you guys for making it to the level you're both @. I'm starting the process myself, I'm scheduled for the exam tomorrow @ 1pm at 2 broadway. Is there anyone else from this forum that's scheduled to take the exam tomorrow?.

Hey guys new to the site here. I took the conductors exam the last week of August passed the test and they did the background but havent heard anything yet. Nothing in my background that would prevent me from the next step in the process. I talked to a lady at the mta in October she told me no news is good news and my name goes into a pool. Was wondering how long is the pool for 1 or 2 years, when I took the written test they said it was pass or fail so I was wondering how do they pick you if there is no list number.

Hey guys new to the site here. I took the conductors exam the last week of August passed the test and they did the background but havent heard anything yet. Nothing in my background that would prevent me from the next step in the process. I talked to a lady at the mta in October she told me no news is good news and my name goes into a pool. Was wondering how long is the pool for 1 or 2 years, when I took the written test they said it was pass or fail so I was wondering how do they pick you if there is no list number.

There is no time frame for a hiring pool to be exhausted. But the test results are only good for a year or two.

As far as who they pick? I think the only ones that truly understands how the selection process works is those that are responsible for carrying the process out. As you said, there is no list as there is no civil service positions on the railroad. They can pretty much pick who they want.

Just in case anybody was worrying about there background check you can call yale accociates and they will mail you a free copy.Ijust got mine today.My present employer wasnt lying when he said he gave me a good reference they write everything down my boss told them lol.

Archived