Testing for Metro North Conductor

ac1987

I felt the interview went very well. But I arrived to the interview ten min late. So after the interview finished I shook everyones hands and as I was walking out one of the interviewers asked what time did I get there. Right then and there I knew I was done.

But I arrived to the interview ten min late.

Loudiam, I'm sorry that happened. Not to beat you up over it but to keep someone else from making the same mistake.

To anyone that will be fortunate enough to get an interview, arriving late is a guarantee that you will not get the job. While circumstances happen that caused you to be late, the company's philosophy being late for an interview is no different than being late for work. If you don't get to work on time, the trains don't run.

The bottom line is if you know your going to be late for an interview, you might just as well turn around and go back home.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with the interview, wish i was called for them. It must be nice being a conductor on the Metro-North Lines.

Compare that to being one in NYC , sheesh lol.

People wana rip our heads off and put them on stakes anytime something goes wrong. Like we have anything to do with it.

Wish people could be more realistic and realize that it is not the conductor or train operators fault when things happen.

They should realize this and think before they speak to us. :cry:

People wana rip our heads off and put them on stakes anytime something goes wrong. Like we have anything to do with it.

It's like that on Metro North too. The passengers will lash out on anyone they can when there's a problem. If they know you work for the company, you're fair game.

• 1 month later...

I keep checking the MTA Employment Website for new job listing for Conductor Jobs but they never show any for these positions. Speaking with one of my regular conductors on my rides home, said to just submit my resume online. I have done this with the option of "Apply Now Without Adding a Job". With doing that I have selected it under the job families of Railroad - Signal & Tracks and Transportation Operations. Is there any other Job Family that Conductors would fall under? Also is there any phone number I can call to contact someone for more information on how to apply specifically for Conductor? My conductor keeps telling me that they are always hiring for this and there are afew classes a year. I just can not seem to find any way of applying specifically for this. I do not want to miss out on my next chance. Any and all help/info would be great!

• 4 weeks later...
Wow that is interesting that you would get an invite to take the test four months after they posted the ad. That means they did not get enough candidates who qualified.

I would guess so. I all but gave up on hearing back from then since I applied back in July. I know a few people took the test already on this site. I guess I'll give the application process for LIRR engineer and assistant C/R a few more months as well.

I took the exam for metronorth for conductor. I recieved the email stating I passed the test. They are now doing background. the funny thing their cant be that much for them to check cause I have been with transit over ten years. I guess it is a waiting game.

I took the exam for metronorth for conductor. I recieved the email stating I passed the test. They are now doing background. the funny thing their cant be that much for them to check cause I have been with transit over ten years. I guess it is a waiting game.

I guess so. Might be the same thing for me. Been with transit for 6 years and my other job for 5 years, so it'll only be 2 places for them to check. And being a current employee of the MTA can't they just request a copy of all your file or something from NYCTA?.

So apparently I got a email inviting me to take the test for conductor on December 28th. At 2 Broadway.

Well what do you think??? Are you going to take it?

Where do you work??

Lol, it was the same for me the exam date fell on my RDO. Cool. Good luck. Each section is timed so just focus on each section you will be okay.

Thanx, I usually fare well on exams, so I should be fine. And who know maybe we'll end in the same class or something. They said training is 7 months, so I assume they won't do more than 2 classes a year. I'm shocked they got back to me I all but forgot about applying until I applied for LIRR L/E and assistant C/R.

I'm surprised they are sending out test invites this late. If they are going through candidates very quicly, that does not good. They must be rejecting a lot of people.

I applied to the LIRR Assis. condcutor since I did not have the 2 years customer servie experience for the MNR condcutor job.

Good luck with the exam. It is not hard. Althoguh I am convinced that the railraods' hiring priocesses are corrupt and that those who don't "know anyone" will rarely be successful in getting hired. I don't like the fact that there is a formal interview because that opens up the door to nepotism.

I'm surprised they are sending out test invites this late. If they are going through candidates very quicly, that does not good. They must be rejecting a lot of people.

I applied to the LIRR Assis. condcutor since I did not have the 2 years customer servie experience for the MNR condcutor job.

Good luck with the exam. It is not hard. Althoguh I am convinced that the railraods' hiring priocesses are corrupt and that those who don't "know anyone" will rarely be successful in getting hired. I don't like the fact that there is a formal interview because that opens up the door to nepotism.

Yeah I hear you, but I'm still going to see wassup with it. It doesn't hurt to try and it's not like I won't have a job if it doesn't pan out.

Well, good luck. I took an MNR exam before several years ago and everyone else in the testing room was already a MNR employee. Only me and 1 other person were outsiders. I was surprised since I am fairly certain that a singificant number of outsiders applied for the job being that MNR jobs pay extremely well. So I found that to be a bit suspcious.

Well, good luck. I took an MNR exam before several years ago and everyone else in the testing room was already a MNR employee. Only me and 1 other person were outsiders. I was surprised since I am fairly certain that a singificant number of outsiders applied for the job being that MNR jobs pay extremely well. So I found that to be a bit suspcious.

Well hopefully me being a NYCTA employee and part of the MTA family of companies helps out a little bit. But I guess technically that doesn't make me an outsider as you mentioned. But I'm going to do my best to secure a position with them or LIRR. I've applied in the past and this is the first time they got back to me so that's a positive sign.

Archived