What is good service? Subway and bus thread

JubaionBx12+SBS

Lots of commuters and posters on this site complain about the quality of service offered by the (MTA). Regardless of how much complaining gets done the bottom line is that there has to be solutions. However, commuters have varying defintions to "good service". Some don't want to ever wait longer than 5 minutes for a subway or bus. Others don't want any delays. Some want one seat rides to their destination of choice. This thread is an attempt to come up with a singular definition of "good service" so improvements can be made without appeasing to every neighborhood's whiny demands.

So I ask, What do you call good service?

Good service is when I can get form Point A to Point B safely and efficiently. This means no excessive delays or backtracking because of service changes. Extra things like clean-smelling cars or a seat a just bonuses to me; I don't *except* them, so I end up being pleasantly surprised when I do get them.

I don't think the MTA has good service. There are tons of places to improve upon.

The only time they ever had what I would call "good service" was when I had a one seat bus ride downtown that was just as fast, if not faster, than taking the crosstown to the subway.

The (4)(5)(6) run every minute or two during rush hour, but there are always delays which can easily double the time it would normally take to get down.

What I would call "good service:"

- Having the M15 select run frequently not just during rush hour

- If crosstown buses were actually faster than the average New Yorker's walking speed and ran more frequently during rush hour

- Have limited service on more bus routes

"Good service" on the subway means no delays, no stops outside of stations, and no GO's. Subway car should be full with some standees, but not to the point where one can't get on/off without others leaving the train to let you on. Headways should never be wider than 10 min day/20 min night.

"Good service" on the bus means no detours, transit signal priority where necessary, and no bunching. Nobody should need to stand in the doorwell. Guide-a-rides at all stops. If headway is wider than 20 min, public schedules should be in ample supply. (at connecting subway stations, etc.)

"Good service" on commuter rail means no delays, no standees, and fares that are actually collected.

"Good service" on the subway means no delays, no stops outside of stations, and no GO's. Subway car should be full with some standees, but not to the point where one can't get on/off without others leaving the train to let you on. Headways should never be wider than 10 min day/20 min night.

"Good service" on the bus means no detours, transit signal priority where necessary, and no bunching. Nobody should need to stand in the doorwell. Guide-a-rides at all stops. If headway is wider than 20 min, public schedules should be in ample supply. (at connecting subway stations, etc.)

"Good service" on commuter rail means no delays, no standees, and fares that are actually collected.

Amtrak some excellent points on 'good service.' However the subways does need to maintained and go's are needed. However the go's should not be on every damn coordior on weekends(unless it urgent) but rotated. Not to mention on major holiday weekends like Thanksgiving, X-mas and New Years Go' work is suspened barring again urgent work.

And i agree with your takes Amtrak on (NYCTA) (MTA) and LIRR/Metro North Rail services.

I would add that at bus stops if the line does not run on say weekends or overnights not only schedules should be easy to get but also 'alternatives' of nearby subway, bus or in Bronx/Queens (LIRR/Metro North services as well)for riders should be listed at 'guide a rides.'

Amtrak some excellent points on 'good service.' However the subways does need to maintained and go's are needed. However the go's should not be on every damn coordior on weekends(unless it urgent) but rotated. Not to mention on major holiday weekends like Thanksgiving, X-mas and New Years Go' work is suspened barring again urgent work.

And i agree with your takes Amtrak on (NYCTA) (MTA) and LIRR/Metro North Rail services.

I would add that at bus stops if the line does not run on say weekends or overnights not only schedules should be easy to get but also 'alternatives' of nearby subway, bus or in Bronx/Queens (LIRR/Metro North services as well)for riders should be listed at 'guide a rides.'

That's the point. Even in the optimum transit system, "good service" shouldn't be all the time. There will always be GO's that have to be done.

How about a "neighborhood map" at all bus stops?

Good service:

-24 hour service

-Highest standard of safety (assuming a rider is following the rules)

-Reasonable scheduled headways (based on time of day)

-Reasonable running times

-Courteous employees and supervisors

-Functioning equipment

-Good communication among employees, as well as from the transit agency to customers to inform them of changes

-Where service is altered due to construction/emergencies, a reasonable alternative is provided in a timely fashion

-Generally good on time performance (delays and disruptions are inevitable due to the general stupidity of the public)

No GOs is ridiculous! They're needed.

Good service means not having to wait 30 minutes for a scheduled departure. Yesterday at 207th Street, I waited from 5:59 PM to 6:32 PM for the Bx20 bus to show up. Within that time-frame there was supposed to have been a bus at 6:05 PM and at 6:25 PM. The first one never showed up, and the second one was 7 minutes late. I wouldn't make such a big deal about it except for the fact that this situation with the Bx20 has been an ongoing problem as far back as I can remember, even before the service cuts.

Good luck with coming up w/ a singular definition for "good service" because I don't think that can be achieved.... too many variables/intangibles to be considered.... the simple fact that anyone has to ask how ppl here would define good service is proof enough of that.....

I think people a lot of times confuse "good service" with excessive/perfect service.... people want to treat & think of public transportation like it's their home - which they can freely access at any time, whenever they need & want to.... That's not how public transit works....

I can't expect a train to be right there, every time I walk down the stairs to catch the B in the morning @ Church av.... I can't expect the B35 to be at the bus stop at the same exact time I reach that stop.... Neither of the two instances is realistic..... Even if it's a 5 min wait, 10 min wait everytime, 20 min wait everytime.... the operative word is 'everytime'.......

Of course, the most important train/bus to any rider, is the one they have to take.... guess I'm of a different breed, b/c I don't only think about the bus/train I'm taking when I'm taking it.... I actually do consider the network (train or bus) as a whole, before just focusing on what I may need & want at a particular time.... I don't think selfishly like that.... If a train is late a particular day, that train is late - I don't chalk that up to bad service..... A lot of people would, just based on one, or a few instances....

In other words, it would be silly for me to say somethin like, "I think good service as far as subways go, is having to wait no longer than 5 mins. for a train".... every 5 mins during rush hour on the 42nd st shuttle is sufficient/justified..... 5 mins during the rush hour on the rockaway park shuttle is definitely not.... good service is not havin trains runnin damn near empty b/c it doesn't serve much of anyone.... like, what if I have to wait 6 mins for either of those trains; all of a sudden it's not good service....

of course, service doesn't solely have to be about timeliness, but I just used it as a focal point for this particular post..... I can post examples until I'm blue in the face, but the point is....

(to me) The term will always be subjective.....

Archived