End of Brighton Rehab = Large GO

Amtrak7

It could be that he meant the routing of the buses, not necessarily the express buses themselves. It doesn't make much sense to send the express buses to Flatbush and Nostrand when there isn't a train there to be a viable alternative. Like someone else stated, it would make much more sense if both the local and express buses simply ran down Ocean Ave through Brighton Beach.

Yeah, but the thing is most folks using the express bus in Brooklyn aren't looking for the subway anyway as an alternative. I used the BM3 on Saturday to and from Sheepshead Bay and none of the folks waiting for the subway looked as if they had any interest in getting on.

I actually was considering taking the subway back and catching a later BM3 to Sheepshead Bay from the city, but when I found out that shuttle service was running from Stillwell all the way to Prospect Park, I said forget it. That's just too much transferring and aggravation for my liking. :mad: :tdown:

When Lance and Amtrak7 mentioned "express buses", they were talking about the (Q) shuttle buses that run express from Kings Highway (B)(Q) to Flatbush Av (2)(5) to Prospect Park (B)(Q)(S), not the actual express buses (i.e. - the X1 or the BM3)

Well then they should've said "Limited Stop" buses then, which is the term used for local buses... Getting me all confused here... B)

Well then they should've said "Limited Stop" buses then, which is the term used for local buses... Getting me all confused here... B)

Contrary to popular belief not everyone here is against all express bus service. It was appropriate context given the fact that we were talking about the local and express (Q) shuttle.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know if it's too long for bumping the thread, but I just read the (MTA) website, and the G.O.* for next weekend was changed. Here's the link: MTA's (Q) Service Advisories for October 1st & 2nd

*I know it applies here, but I still don't know what it means.

Edit: I see it was answered here - General Order, okay now I know. Thanks Amtrak7

I don't even know if the hard rail's still there north of Newkirk, and I havent operated over there since the name change (Newkirk Plaza lmbo).

In terms of track layout, it's just like before the rehabilitation. So going northbound (local) there is no need to slow down approaching the switch south of King's Highway. Other than that, everything is same.

What does Hard Rail means, in context of NYCT?

Doesn't "Limited Stop" buses mean they are not local buses?

We express bus riders don't distinguish the local buses. I mean yeah some of them make limited stops, but in our minds, they're not true "express buses", as express buses are still quicker than "limited stop buses" by far. :cool: I remember one time Forest Avenue was shut down and I was trying to figure out where the X16 was being detoured to and this guy asked me if I was looking for "the express", as in the S98. LOL I said "Not that bus, the express bus". I mean for what it's worth limited stop buses are only marginally faster than local stop buses. :P If anything they're as fast as what a typical "local" bus should be. :) Meanwhile the express bus CAN beat a subway. Perfect example is the (4)(5) train take about 20 minutes from Grand Central to Bowling Green. It takes about the same amount of time if not less on the express bus. :cool:

Just a term used to describe modified rail setup (like north of Newkirk where the track bends to the right to get back to the outside), as supposed to OOS rail switches (like at Kings HwY during the rehab). But the hard rail probably was corrected with the outside track going back into service.

Well then they should've said "Limited Stop" buses then, which is the term used for local buses... Getting me all confused here... :P

The entire conversation was about shuttle buses that would've replaced the stretch of the (Q) that was originally planned to be suspended. Not existing local or express buses, shuttle buses. Now looking specifically at this (or any) bustitution, some "shuttle" buses were scheduled to make all the (Q) stops, hence a 'local' shuttle bus. The others were scheduled to skip the stops that the 'local' would make, and stop at the major traffic stations, hence 'express' shuttle bus.

If you think about it from the perspective of the subway, then local and express in this specific situation is appropriate. The term 'limited-stop' was developed for the local buses because 'express' was already taken. You need to look at the context of a conversation before you get up in arms. Not everyone is trying to bash the "express bus" all the time.

We express bus riders don't distinguish the local buses. I mean yeah some of them make limited stops, but in our minds, they're not true "express buses", as express buses are still quicker than "limited stop buses" by far. :cool: I remember one time Forest Avenue was shut down and I was trying to figure out where the X16 was being detoured to and this guy asked me if I was looking for "the express", as in the S98. LOL I said "Not that bus, the express bus". I mean for what it's worth limited stop buses are only marginally faster than local stop buses. B) If anything they're as fast as what a typical "local" bus should be. B) Meanwhile the express bus CAN beat a subway. Perfect example is the (4)(5) train take about 20 minutes from Grand Central to Bowling Green. It takes about the same amount of time if not less on the express bus. :cool:

I doubt it would take longer on the subway than the express bus unless the subway was delayed. I've made it from Bowling Green to Grand Central in 15 minutes plenty of times on the subway, whereas there's no way you're doing that on an express bus.

And if limited buses are only "marginally" faster than local buses, why are you pushing for the S83 and S98 off-peak? B) They definitely aren't "marginally" faster unless you're dealing with a ton of traffic or something.

And within the boroughs, there are plenty of limiteds that are faster than the express buses. Does the S89 ring a bell?

The entire conversation was about shuttle buses that would've replaced the stretch of the (Q) that was originally planned to be suspended. Not existing local or express buses, shuttle buses. Now looking specifically at this (or any) bustitution, some "shuttle" buses were scheduled to make all the (Q) stops, hence a 'local' shuttle bus. The others were scheduled to skip the stops that the 'local' would make, and stop at the major traffic stations, hence 'express' shuttle bus.

If you think about it from the perspective of the subway, then local and express in this specific situation is appropriate. The term 'limited-stop' was developed for the local buses because 'express' was already taken. You need to look at the context of a conversation before you get up in arms. Not everyone is trying to bash the "express bus" all the time.

Exactly.

Archived