King Of RedBirds

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd have to say:

Cookie Crisps

Honey Bunches of Oats with Almonds

Honey Nut Cheerios

Generally, I get the store brand equivalent. It's the same ingredients and same flavor, so I don't see the point in paying extra.

Hey! :(

Store Brands are you serious you gotta by a cereal size like a bag of rice. And they don't have sugar or taste.

Store Brands are you serious you gotta by a cereal size like a bag of rice. And they don't have sugar or taste.

LOL... I have to agree w/you. Some of those store brands taste terrible. :eek:

I stopped buying the processed cereals and have switched to natural or organic cereals but I'll admit that some of them aren't that good. However, they don't put a ton fructose syrup and all of that so that's one reason why. At 14 though I was a sugar freak also. I needed my sugar fix so Cocoa Pebbles, Lucky Charms and all of that were a must, but I did dab in the bagged cereals here and there. Some of them are actually okay and some of them you can tell that they are horrible and upon tasting them my suspicions were confirmed.

I assume checkmate buys the stuff that I buy though and those brands are cheaper than the usual brands, but they're either organic or natural brands, so IMO many of them are better than the usual known brands. For example, Cascadian Farms makes an organic version of Cinnamon Toast Crunch which is actually better than the well known version and most places have it for $3.99. :cool:

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
Typo

That's right but the fact that they rename popular cereals like pebbles Dino bites and are nasty and sugarless.Frooty O's really someone should get shanked. :(

Ughhh... Those are the knock offs... Yeah those are horrible. I bought these "Apple Cinnamon Cherrios" the other day and although they were supposedly organic, they tasted like crap. One of the few things I've bought from Whole Foods that I really didn't like. I ate them anyway since I hate wasting stuff, but I won't be caught dead getting those again. For me it's not that I'm a cheapo like checkmate. I just try to get cereals that taste good but also are good for you. However, if I want Apple Cinnamon Cherrios I'll have to go get the regular ones and just binge a little. B)

1. Kashi's Autumn Wheats

kashi.jpg

2. A cereal version of Nature Valley's Oats n' Honey granola bars. It's pretty hard to come by.

NatureValleyOatsandHoneycereal.png

I eat some Kashi cereals but I'm not wild about them, though they are healthy for you and are either natural or organic. I usually buy the honey toasted oats at Whole Foods and those are decent.

The Nature Valley's Oats n' Honey granola bars maybe you get those on Amazon? There are a few natural items that I'll order from Amazon if I can't find them or if can't get them at a good price.

LOL... I have to agree w/you. Some of those store brands taste terrible. :eek:

I stopped buying the processed cereals and have switched to natural or organic cereals but I'll admit that some of them aren't that good. However, they don't put a ton fructose syrup and all of that so that's one reason why. At 14 though I was a sugar freak also. I needed my sugar fix so Cocoa Pebbles, Lucky Charms and all of that were a must, but I did dab in the bagged cereals here and there. Some of them are actually okay and some of them you can tell that they are horrible and upon tasting them my suspicions were confirmed.

I assume checkmate buys the stuff that I buy though and those brands are cheaper than the usual brands, but they're either organic or natural brands, so IMO many of them are better than the usual known brands. For example, Cascadian Farms makes an organic version of Cinnamon Toast Crunch which is actually better than the well known version at most places have it for $3.99. :cool:

To me, brands like Malt-O-Meal are exactly like the national brand. They have a Quality Guarantee saying that they'll give your money back if you aren't satisfied, so right there is a reason to have a high quality.

The brands my family buys often are either Malt-O-Meal, Kashi, ShopRite Organic, and the regular ShopRite brand. It all depends which one is on sale and how much the discount is (for example, Kashi for $2.99 is better than ShopRite for $1.99)

To me, brands like Malt-O-Meal are exactly like the national brand. They have a Quality Guarantee saying that they'll give your money back if you aren't satisfied, so right there is a reason to have a high quality.

The brands my family buys often are either Malt-O-Meal, Kashi, ShopRite Organic, and the regular ShopRite brand. It all depends which one is on sale and how much the discount is (for example, Kashi for $2.99 is better than ShopRite for $1.99)

LMAO... Malt-O-Meal?? What the deuce?? :eek: I have never heard of this brand in all of my 29 years and I've had cereal in Europe and in the U.S. of course. Kashi I've eaten and do buy here and there and ShopRite, I mean the deals they have there are so good that I see no need to buy the store brand. Where else can you get Cascadian Farms Organic Cinnamon Crunch at for $3.99?? :cool: Do they have this Malt-O-Meal at the Shop Rite on Richmond Avenue? :confused: Maybe I was too tipsy the other night when I was there at almost one in the morning after having had a "few". B) Well what can I say, I had the munchies... :(

LMAO... Malt-O-Meal?? What the deuce?? :eek: I have never heard of this brand in all of my 29 years and I've had cereal in Europe and in the U.S. of course. Kashi I've eaten and do buy here and there and ShopRite, I mean the deals they have there are so good that I see no need to buy the store brand. Where else can you get Cascadian Farms Organic Cinnamon Crunch at for $3.99?? :cool: Do they have this Malt-O-Meal at the Shop Rite on Richmond Avenue? :confused: Maybe I was too tipsy the other night when I was there at almost one in the morning after having had a "few". B) Well what can I say, I had the munchies... :)

Here's a website for them: http://www.malt-o-meal.com/. They make some natural products too: http://www.malt-o-meal.com/products/natural-cereals/malt-o-meal-natural-cereals.php

I know ShopRite has the blueberry muffin cereal, and the Natural Honey Nut Toasted Oats. I see a bunch of them at Western Beef, though (Raisin Bran, Apple Zings, Honey & Oat Blenders, etc)

In any case, I just don't see the difference between the national brand and the generic version. I mean, raisin bran is raisin bran and toasted oats are toasted oats (of course brands like Kashi are obviously better than all of them)

Here's a website for them: http://www.malt-o-meal.com/. They make some natural products too: http://www.malt-o-meal.com/products/natural-cereals/malt-o-meal-natural-cereals.php

I know ShopRite has the blueberry muffin cereal, and the Natural Honey Nut Toasted Oats. I see a bunch of them at Western Beef, though (Raisin Bran, Apple Zings, Honey & Oat Blenders, etc)

In any case, I just don't see the difference between the national brand and the generic version. I mean, raisin bran is raisin bran and toasted oats are toasted oats (of course brands like Kashi are obviously better than all of them)

Ugh... Just the packaging alone makes me think cheap. LOL... And I disagree about the generic brand being the same as the national brand. It really depends on the brand that produces the "replica". Like I said, Cascadian Farms has an excellent Cinnamon Toast Crunch version and I think it is better than the "national brand" not to mention healthier as it is organic. Then again, Cascadian produces quality products overall, but this Malt-O-Meal.... I dunno.... :eek:

I'll be going to Shop Rite next Saturday since I'll need to get a haircut over at my cool Moroccan barber in Sheepshead Bay, but I'll take the X10 from the city on the way back home and stop there since I know some things that I need that are cheaper at Shop Rite. :cool:

Ugh... Just the packaging alone makes me think cheap. LOL... And I disagree about the generic brand being the same as the national brand. It really depends on the brand that produces the "replica". Like I said, Cascadian Farms has an excellent Cinnamon Toast Crunch version and I think it is better than the "national brand" not to mention healthier as it is organic. Then again, Cascadian produces quality products overall, but this Malt-O-Meal.... I dunno.... :eek:

I'll be going to Shop Rite next Saturday since I'll need to get a haircut over at my cool Moroccan barber in Sheepshead Bay, but I'll take the X10 from the city on the way back home and stop there since I know some things that I need that are cheaper at Shop Rite. :cool:

Well, my palette isn't as sophisticated as yours. :) In any case, it probably depends on the cereal itself as well. I don't think it's possible to screw up raisin bran for instance.

And see, I told you ShopRite has high quality and decent prices. B) (In fact, their slogan used to be "Always fresh and always for less")

Well, my palette isn't as sophisticated as yours. :) In any case, it probably depends on the cereal itself as well. I don't think it's possible to screw up raisin bran for instance.

And see, I told you ShopRite has high quality and decent prices. B) (In fact, their slogan used to be "Always fresh and always for less")

Yeah, they do carry some quality, but they're still nowhere near what Whole Foods is. B) And yes I do have high standards I suppose. The other night my Venezuelan buddy and I went to one of my Spanish spots over by Grand Central to talk about some financial moves and such that he's thinking about and the market and such. He goes yeah why wouldn't I expect you to go to fancy high end place? lol So in maybe a few hours I had about 4 glasses of various Italian and Spanish wines and some tapas and "somehow" I ran up $105.00 tab. :eek: I guess I shouldn't be shocked when I'm drinking $12.00 a glass sparkling wines. My friend ran up a $65.00 tab on drinks and tapas, but I was drinking more expensive stuff than him like Brut Cava sparkling wine from Spain and such. :cool:

So yeah I do have a sophisticated palette. :cool:

As for the cereals it isn't about screwing up as much as it is about different ingredients. That's the key thing. In order to get those low prices you have to cut back on something, and that usually means the ingredients.

Apple Zings and Honey Oats blenders are you serious they can just say honey O's that's White Ghetto rightbthere. LMFAO :P

LMAO... Malt-O-Meal?? What the deuce?? :eek: I have never heard of this brand in all of my 29 years and I've had cereal in Europe and in the U.S. of course. Kashi I've eaten and do buy here and there and ShopRite, I mean the deals they have there are so good that I see no need to buy the store brand. Where else can you get Cascadian Farms Organic Cinnamon Crunch at for $3.99?? :cool: Do they have this Malt-O-Meal at the Shop Rite on Richmond Avenue? :confused: Maybe I was too tipsy the other night when I was there at almost one in the morning after having had a "few". :o Well what can I say, I had the munchies... :P

Malt o Meal. Bum Alert. :eek:

How dare you call popular cereals these names.

Dyno Bites - Fruity Pebbles

Cinnamon Toasters - Cinnamon Toast Crunch

Coco Roos - Cocoa Puffs

Colossal Crunch - Cap'n Crunch

Honey Buzzers - Honey Comb

Honey Nut Scooters LMFAO - Honey Nut Cheerios

Mash mellow Mateys LMFAO - Lucky Charms

Malt O Meal Is Garbage. :P

Yeah, they do carry some quality, but they're still nowhere near what Whole Foods is. ;) And yes I do have high standards I suppose. The other night my Venezuelan buddy and I went to one of my Spanish spots over by Grand Central to talk about some financial moves and such that he's thinking about and the market and such. He goes yeah why wouldn't I expect you to go to fancy high end place? lol So in maybe a few hours I had about 4 glasses of various Italian and Spanish wines and some tapas and "somehow" I ran up $105.00 tab. :eek: I guess I shouldn't be shocked when I'm drinking $12.00 a glass sparkling wines. My friend ran up a $65.00 tab on drinks and tapas, but I was drinking more expensive stuff than him like Brut Cava sparkling wine from Spain and such. :cool:

So yeah I do have a sophisticated palette. :cool:

As for the cereals it isn't about screwing up as much as it is about different ingredients. That's the key thing. In order to get those low prices you have to cut back on something, and that usually means the ingredients.

According to the box, they cut back on packaging and advertising (they have a lot of bagged cereals)

Well I just read that it's a dying brand, so maybe we won't have to be tortured too much longer seeing it on the shelves in the supermarket. :cool:

:tup:

Noooooooooooooo. :P

(Where'd you read that anyway?)

Apple Zings and Honey Oats blenders are you serious they can just say honey O's that's White Ghetto rightbthere. LMFAO :o

Because they aren't shaped like Os. Duh. B)

It's like Honey Bunches of Oats, not Cheerios.

According to the box, they cut back on packaging and advertising (they have a lot of bagged cereals)

Noooooooooooooo. :P

(Where'd you read that anyway?)

I did a search under the name and then added ", review" and some stuff popped up about them being around more back in the old days and how it is harder and harder to find their stuff on the shelves. Good bye and good riddance. :cool: :tup:

Because they aren't shaped like Os. Duh. :o

It's like Honey Bunches of Oats, not Cheerios.

Yeah, but he's dissing the names because he's saying that they're cheap knock offs. lol

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8
Typo

anyone eat those knockoff cereals?

- "pops" (compared to corn pops... same yellow box too, if you're not careful, you can pick up the wrong thing... and get sick.)

- "fruity floats" or "fruity loops" (compared to fruit loops... and I'm not talkin about that music/beat making program either)

- my personal favorite... to laugh at..

"flakes that are frosted" (frosted flakes)... lmfao !

another frosted flakes knockoff is "frosty flakes".... this one is very misleading b/c it's written in the same font, and has tony the tiger on the cover too....

- of course, you just have that cereal that's conveniently called....

"Cereal"