What's Your 3 Favorite Cereals.

King Of RedBirds

So that would explain why they were out of it. :( (Not that I was planning on buying any of it anyway, especially considering I got a free milk from Stonyfield.

And yeah, the cereal was the blueberry muffin flavor I was talking about. Did you see the "Mom's Best Natural" cereal they had?

And yeah, I find that pretty stupid. If they have the organic milk seperate from the regular milk, why not have the organic/natural cereal seperate from the regular cereal?

And yeah, they have sales on orange juice a little more often than other stores because they can save on storage space. It never occurred to me to complain because hey, as long as I get my discount, I'm happy. ;)

And $6.29's nothing. I went there a few days ago, spent about $13 and saved $38. :cool:

Well I preferred the $2.50 deal they had just last Thursday for Florida's Natural. The thing is I like it with "Most Pulp" to get the most natural orange juice possible and they're almost out of that, so I got one for $3.50 (they're currently 2 for $7.00).

As far the other cereal, I may have seen it but can't recall. They actually carry just about all of the natural and organic cereals that I usually buy at Whole Foods, with the exception of a few here and there.

As for savings, you have to remember that I buy pricey stuff and a lot of imported stuff too from Europe (France, Italy, Spain, Germany usually) and while it shows that I saved $6.29 I actually saved a lot more. A bottle of Perrier can sell for $3.49 in some places and I got 2 for $4.00, although that is not that big of a deal because I was paying $1.79 per bottle at Whole Foods until recently. Now they charge $1.99 a bottle, but that is as cheap as I can get it so for two more pennies I'm not going to complain.

I'm still trying to dissect their meat and cheese section though. I was contemplating getting some Mortadella and Emmanthaler cheese but I would prefer Mortadella direct from Italy, this way I know that the quality is top notch. Some of the brands they have in terms of cold cuts I am familiar with though so I'll have to investigate and then decide. Their bread aisle lacks though. Too much white bread and not enough wheat bread or stuff of high quality. :tdown:

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What upsets me is the stuff like mozzarella cheese and rice cost $7-$15 which Is completely uncalled for because there are people that can afford it and there are the high rollers.

The prices are called for and I'll explain why. What you don't see is the labor costs, the shipping costs, the taxes and other fees that the producer has to pay for in order for these items to get onto the shelves at the store.

Products that are imported tend to cost more since there are additional taxes and fees that must be paid and certain quality standards that must be followed in order to allow the products into the U.S. The key thing is to make sure that you aren't being overcharged. I don't mind paying a bit more for imports from Italy and such because I know the amount of work and labor that goes into those quality products, but I am not in the business of paying more simply because a store is located on the Upper West Side. Now there are some exceptions where I will pay more if I can't find the product elsewhere cheaper and the quality is worth it.

Well I preferred the $2.50 deal they had just last Thursday for Florida's Natural. The thing is I like it with "Most Pulp" to get the most natural orange juice possible and they're almost out of that, so I got one for $3.50 (they're currently 2 for $7.00).

As far the other cereal, I may have seen it but can't recall. They actually carry just about all of the natural and organic cereals that I usually buy at Whole Foods, with the exception of a few here and there.

As for savings, you have to remember that I buy pricey stuff and a lot of imported stuff too from Europe (France, Italy, Spain, Germany usually) and while it shows that I saved $6.29 I actually saved a lot more. A bottle of Perrier can sell for $3.49 in some places and I got 2 for $4.00, although that is not that big of a deal because I was paying $1.79 per bottle at Whole Foods until recently. Now they charge $1.99 a bottle, but that is as cheap as I can get it so for two more pennies I'm not going to complain.

I'm still trying to dissect their meat and cheese section though. I was contemplating getting some Mortadella and Emmanthaler cheese but I would prefer Mortadella direct from Italy, this way I know that the quality is top notch. Some of the brands they have in terms of cold cuts I am familiar with though so I'll have to investigate and then decide. Their bread aisle lacks though. Too much white bread and not enough wheat bread or stuff of high quality. :tdown:

When I say how much I saved, I compare it to the cheapest non-sale price I find. So if Whole Foods had Perrier for $1.99, and the regular stores had it for $3.49, I wouldn't consider anything saved if I bought it for 2/$4.

I think they have a couple of organic breads at the front of the aisle (by the bakery section), and I don't know how their store-made bread is, so it might be worth a try.

When I say how much I saved, I compare it to the cheapest non-sale price I find. So if Whole Foods had Perrier for $1.99, and the regular stores had it for $3.49, I wouldn't consider anything saved if I bought it for 2/$4.

I think they have a couple of organic breads at the front of the aisle (by the bakery section), and I don't know how their store-made bread is, so it might be worth a try.

Believe it or not, Whole Foods is actually the exception, most places, including the supermarkets on Staten Island charge $2.19 or more a bottle. :mad: Total ripoff too.

Believe it or not, Whole Foods is actually the exception, most places, including the supermarkets on Staten Island charge $2.19 or more a bottle. :mad: Total ripoff too.

Wow.

One store that always used to overcharge was King Kullen. For example, their oatmeal used to be about $3.49 for a 42 oz container, whereas most of the other stores had it for $2.00-$2.50. I think they realized that they were losing customers to these other stores because now, the oatmeal is $2.49 and they have the slow-cooking ones as well (before, they only had the quick oats).

There are other items that they lowered the price on as well, but that was just an example.

Wow.

One store that always used to overcharge was King Kullen. For example, their oatmeal used to be about $3.49 for a 42 oz container, whereas most of the other stores had it for $2.00-$2.50. I think they realized that they were losing customers to these other stores because now, the oatmeal is $2.49 and they have the slow-cooking ones as well (before, they only had the quick oats).

There are other items that they lowered the price on as well, but that was just an example.

Ugh... Where is there another King Kullen at? There was one on Manor Rd that I would go to sometimes if I missed an X10 (which of course would come early :mad:) and was thirsty. They had San Pellegrino for a decent price, but that place was a dump IMO, not to mention that it was on a steep hill to boot.

I was glad to see it close quite frankly. I forget what is going there. A CVS I believe.

Ugh... Where is there another King Kullen at? There was one on Manor Rd that I would go to sometimes if I missed an X10 (which of course would come early :mad:) and was thirsty. They had San Pellegrino for a decent price, but that place was a dump IMO, not to mention that it was on a steep hill to boot.

I was glad to see it close quite frankly. I forget what is going there. A CVS I believe.

Isn't San pellegrino a cheese.

Isn't San pellegrino a cheese.

LMAO.... If it is then that's news to me. It is a popular sparkling water drink from Italy, that is sold in high end restaurants and specialty stores, like Whole Foods, Garden of Eden, Fairway, Zabars, West Side supermarket and the like. :cool: I used to drink a lot back in Italy. Of course the price is a bit overflated here since it is an import, but in Italy it is fairly cheap. :cool:

Here is a picture of it below:

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/nutri/snacks/images/san-pellegrino-230.jpg

LMAO.... If it is then that's news to me. It is a popular sparkling water drink from Italy, that is sold in high end restaurants and specialty stores, like Whole Foods, Garden of Eden, Fairway, Zabars, West Side supermarket and the like. :cool: I used to drink a lot back in Italy. Of course the price is a bit overflated here since it is an import, but in Italy it is fairly cheap. :cool:

Here is a picture of it below:

http://www.thenibble.com/reviews/nutri/snacks/images/san-pellegrino-230.jpg

Lmao I got it confused with some cheese commercial I saw on tv

It's in that shopping plaza south of the (former) Staten Island Hotel, on the northbound side of Richmond Avenue.

I always use their parking lot as a shortcut whenever I need to go to CSI (or the Todt Hill Library or anything east of CSI for that matter)

It's in that shopping plaza south of the (former) Staten Island Hotel, on the northbound side of Richmond Avenue.

I always use their parking lot as a shortcut whenever I need to go to CSI (or the Todt Hill Library or anything east of CSI for that matter)

Wait a minute... really??? I'm going to have to look again when I take the X17 or come around on Richmond on the X10. I took the X17J on Monday morning over by Christopher Lane and I had time to look around thanks to the B/O that showed up early. :mad:

Wait a minute... really??? I'm going to have to look again when I take the X17 or come around on Richmond on the X10. I took the X17J on Monday morning over by Christopher Lane and I had time to look around thanks to the B/O that showed up early. :mad:

It's at the far end of the parking lot, so allow yourself 10 minutes to get across the parking lot and back (10 minutes total), unless you intend to run for the bus if you see it.

Get off at the stop south of Christopher Lane (it's Lander Avenue southbound, and Yona Avenue northbound)

If you're coming from the northbound direction (if you're getting off the X10 or getting on the X17). There's a deli, and some kind of auto-repair shop on a small street, so walk on the side of the street with Applebee's and you won't get your shoes dirty.

It's at the far end of the parking lot, so allow yourself 10 minutes to get across the parking lot and back (10 minutes total), unless you intend to run for the bus if you see it.

Get off at the stop south of Christopher Lane (it's Lander Avenue southbound, and Yona Avenue northbound)

If you're coming from the northbound direction (if you're getting off the X10 or getting on the X17). There's a deli, and some kind of auto-repair shop on a small street, so walk on the side of the street with Applebee's and you won't get your shoes dirty.

lol... Yeah that X17C stop sucks. Molinaro should find some funds to pave that damn bus stop! :mad:

lol... Yeah that X17C stop sucks. Molinaro should find some funds to pave that damn bus stop! :mad:

Except I'm talking about another stop. The stop before it gets onto the SIE needs to be paved, but the stop I'm referring to is just in a location that isn't so good (there's a sidewalk the area within 20 feet of the stop is all dirty and everything)

If it were moved by Applebee's, it would be a better location but it would take away more parking.

Except I'm talking about another stop. The stop before it gets onto the SIE needs to be paved, but the stop I'm referring to is just in a location that isn't so good (there's a sidewalk the area within 20 feet of the stop is all dirty and everything)

If it were moved by Applebee's, it would be a better location but it would take away more parking.

Where is the stop located because I have gotten on the X17C further down on Richmond over by Yona Ave as well. As for King Kullen are you talking about where there is/was a Waldbaum's at?? :confused:

Well from what I hear that King Kullen sucks too. Rather run down and such, not to mention overpriced to boot.

I wouldn't really consider them run-down, and they used to be overpriced, but they've gotten better (though overall, I would consider ShopRite to have the best quality and value out of all of the SI supermarkets)

I wouldn't really consider them run-down, and they used to be overpriced, but they've gotten better (though overall, I would consider ShopRite to have the best quality and value out of all of the SI supermarkets)

Well if the one on Richmond Avenue looks anything like the one that closed on Manor Rd then yeah, that would be a dump in my book. The King Kullen on Manor wasn't TERRIBLE, but it wasn't great either. I mean I wouldn't go out of my way to go there that's for sure. That's the thing I never got about Staten Island supermarkets. Most of them are way overpriced on most products and many charge more than places charge in Manhattan. You would expect the opposite because space doesn't cost an arm and a leg like in Manhattan and we're out in the suburbs. I'm not sure what the reason for it is, other than them thinking that we have more disposable income and are suckers. :mad: