How has bus tracking affected service on the B63?

Via Garibaldi 8

The (MTA) has given a lot of hype to the bus tracking system implemented on routes like the M16 and M34 and most recently the B63. The tracking system used on the B63 line is supposed to be rolled out to Staten Island lines "soon", although the date keeps getting pushed back further and further. :P

The question how successful has this bus tracking system been on the line? Are buses keeping closer to their schedules now more than in the past and has service improved overall? How many people are actually using the tracking system and what do they think of it?

This doesn't answer your question, but I did see at one of the B63's stops a listing of every single stop on the line. Pretty interesting for those who care :P

[i was just passing by, I didn't actually ride the route....]

Huh?? :confused: Not sure if I get what you mean by that or more specifically why the listing of every single stop on the line is anything different from what currently exists on all other lines in the city.

Huh?? :confused: Not sure if I get what you mean by that or more specifically why the listing of every single stop on the line is anything different from what currently exists on all other lines in the city.

I was passing by one of the B63's stops, I think it was 5th Av and Bergen St.

You know the Guide-a-Ride rectangular boxes at the bus stops showing the timetable and whatnot?

Well, one of the four sides had this spiel about the Bus tracking thing. I didn't focus on it, because below it was a printed list of every single (B63) stop from Bay Ridge to the terminal in Cobble Hill. I think I can still remember some of them :P

I was passing by one of the B63's stops, I think it was 5th Av and Bergen St.

You know the Guide-a-Ride rectangular boxes at the bus stops showing the timetable and whatnot?

Well, one of the four sides had this spiel about the Bus tracking thing. I didn't focus on it, because below it was a printed list of every single (B63) stop from Bay Ridge to the terminal in Cobble Hill. I think I can still remember some of them :P

Ahh I see now.... Well that's pretty cool. I believe those will appear at select Staten Island stops. :P Would be good if all of them had it though.

Long Beach Transit in So Cal uses bus tracking for all of it's routes. I know you guys are in New York, but take a look it's pretty cool:

http://webwatch.lbtransit.com/webwatch/map.aspx?mode=g

It works great. Even if a bus falls behind, the bus tracker updates the time it will arrive. You can choose to show EVERY SINGLE stop along route, so you are no longer bound by timepoints. Just check the "Show minor stops" box and it will tell the exact time it will arrive, even if it's not a timepoint.

It also shows the direction each bus is facing along route, as well as it's position.

EDIT: It's almost 9 o clock here in LA, so some routes won't have any buses running.(Plus it's the weekend, so some buses stop running even earlier)

He said there was a section of the Guide-A-Ride box on there that listed all of the stops.

Well I think you're missing the point. Nobody cares about the fact that it lists all of the stops. They care about the fact that it lists the times in which the bus will arrive at each said stop, this way folks can plan their commutes. Sometimes people will walk up to the bus stop while I'm waiting for the X30 and they'll check to see when the S48 is arriving. I'm sure they would love to have an idea in actual time as to when they can expect their bus to arrive it its destination.

In Italy they've had bus tracking for years, and while in Bologna, it was great to be able to see where the bus was at my bus stop and when I could expect it to arrive. :cool:

Well I think you're missing the point. Nobody cares about the fact that it lists all of the stops. They care about the fact that it lists the times in which the bus will arrive at each said stop, this way folks can plan their commutes. Sometimes people will walk up to the bus stop while I'm waiting for the X30 and they'll check to see when the S48 is arriving. I'm sure they would love to have an idea in actual time as to when they can expect their bus to arrive it its destination.

In Italy they've had bus tracking for years, and while in Bologna, it was great to be able to see where the bus was at my bus stop and when I could expect it to arrive. :cool:

Well, in that case, of course it would be good. It would be nice if the information were available without a SmartPhone, though. :(

I think he's referring to me.

In any case, how is it "downgrading" if I don't have a SmartPhone in the first place? And unless he plans on buying me a SmartPhone, he's not going to tell me what type of device to carry around.

LOL... I have to admit though in this day and age I have no idea how you function without a cell phone. I mean how in the world do you communicate w/your family and such for emergencies?? :confused:

LOL... I have to admit though in this day and age I have no idea how you function without a cell phone. I mean how in the world do you communicate w/your family and such for emergencies?? :confused:

My family has a couple of cell phones, and we just use them as we need them. Chances are that all of us won't be in different places at once.

In any case, whenever I forget to take a cell phone, I usually get by. The only thing I call is to say "I'm at ____ and I'll be home soon".

My family has a couple of cell phones, and we just use them as we need them. Chances are that all of us won't be in different places at once.

In any case, whenever I forget to take a cell phone, I usually get by. The only thing I call is to say "I'm at ____ and I'll be home soon".

Oh so then don't you have text messaging on them?? :confused:

Oh so then don't you have text messaging on them?? :confused:

I do, but I'm not really into texting. Rather than hurt my fingers pushing those tiny buttons, I can just say what I have to say. (Believe me, I'm sure people who text excessively end up hurting their fingers)

Plus, I have a pay-per-minute/text plan, so it's cheaper to just talk rather than text.

I do, but I'm not really into texting. Rather than hurt my fingers pushing those tiny buttons, I can just say what I have to say. (Believe me, I'm sure people who text excessively end up hurting their fingers)

Plus, I have a pay-per-minute/text plan, so it's cheaper to just talk rather than text.

lol... No no no silly... :) I was making the point because you could get bus information that way when they have the tracking in place. :cool:

lol... No no no silly... :) I was making the point because you could get bus information that way when they have the tracking in place. :cool:

Well, I barely text at all, so I'll need some practice in using that function.

Plus, it costs a whopping $0.15 per text! :o

It would be helpful when I go to school though. It would be good to know if I should walk or wait for the S46/S96. Then again, if the teacher is lenient, it won't really matter.

Well, I barely text at all, so I'll need some practice in using that function.

Plus, it costs a whopping $0.15 per text! :)

It would be helpful when I go to school though. It would be good to know if I should walk or wait for the S46/S96. Then again, if the teacher is lenient, it won't really matter.

.15 cents per text?? Jesus Christ. :eek: Don't you guys have a family plan or something?? :confused:

Archived