Hiring?

ArticExpress

What does it take to become a conductor? Where do I apply, is it a test or resume, do you have to know someone? Was a driver for MTA for 16 years left and now thinking of going back to TA , however would rather not drive anymore. I take metronth hud. line alot, and love the ride and conductors. But what are the working conditions really like? I heard stories that senior man can bump you even after you pick. that is ridiculous that would never happen in our bus depots. Thanks for any input ladies and gents

Wow I over looked this tread I tought it was one of those "How do I become a Bus Operator things" since there are so many post on that subject.

Lets see to become a Conductor you just need to take the next Civil service test and no don't need to know anyone but score High. It took me 2 years to get called but it was perfect for me I was still in High School when I took the exam. Things to know on the test Points of intrest , Military time and safety. Then once you get called you go to School car for 6 WKS of training.

Conductor Dutys Open and close doors , Make Routine Announcements , Communicate with Customers , Train Operators , Train Dispatchers , and Train Service Supervisors. Observe the condictions in your two operating cars between stations. When your in the station observe the C/R indication boards and observe the platfrom as the train is leaving for 75 FT. Conductors are in charge of the train so you must know whats going on at all times. However when something happens they always talk to the Train Operator.

Conductors also do other duties such as do Platfrom patrol and Construction flagging where you protect the Track Workers from the on coming trains.

The one thing most new Train Operators from the street forget is you do have a partner your working with in the middle. The Conductor is the Train Operators boss like it or not.

Dave I think DOB was talking about being put on at the LIRR and he is right because you do need to know someone you know that saying it's not what you know but who you know holds true but at metro-north it maybe alot easier to get on they are both resume positions and you do have to take a test which is free but the setback is you have to retire after 30 years of service

Archived