Why does the Bronx get express bus service so late at night?

Via Garibaldi 8

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Maybe one of us should FOIA current express bus ridership data from MTA Bus Company, data that reflects post-6/27 usage patterns.

I'm on it. :cool:

Here's the website in case anybody else wants to try: http://www.mta.info/foil.htm

I have the contact information for Norman Silverman, but he doesn't seem to be too eager to talk.

I'm on it. :cool:

Here's the website in case anybody else wants to try: http://www.mta.info/foil.htm

I have the contact information for Norman Silverman, but he doesn't seem to be too eager to talk.

I am waiting on another FOIA request for the Amtrak tariff. Maybe each of us can do a different part/agency. Somebody want to take some of these and share the results? Note that if its a paper document fees will have to be paid.

-MTA Bus route data

-NYCT route data

-Lease and Operating Agreement for Long Island Bus

-NJT route data

-Bus/subway tariff (get from NYCT)

-LIRR tariff

-MNR tariff

-Updated LIRR station-by-station ridership (latest I have is 2006)

-Updated MNR station-by-station ridership (latest I have is 2007)

I've done the 2 LIRR ones, will do the MNR ones as soon as I get a reply.

1) What's your point? The other Bronx express routes don't have as high ridership as the Riverdale routes.

Re-read my post and it would make sense.

2) Yeah, but I'm sure there are plenty of people in Sheepshead Bay who would agree with me. A friend of my grandmother lives right across the street from the first stop of the BM3 and doesn't even know it exists. She just wants the B4 back. Yeah, some people would be pissed by seeing the BM3 go, but more people would benefit from having the B4 restored.

In any case, since the city subsidizes the BM3, it's alright, but the fact that the city has a blank-check agreement in the first place (instead of just giving the MTA the money) is what's the problem. I'm sorry, but the BM3 and BM4 shouldn't be allowed to stay while the B4 is cut back.

Hell, since you want to talk about express buses, they shouldn't be allowed to stay while the X27 is cut back.

This isn't and should NOT be about screwing one set of riders so that another set of riders can't get more service, but you like to pit local against express bus riders which is preposterous. The amount of seniors that ride the BM3 would be devastated without the BM3 and riders like myself would have much longer commutes to and from Sheepshead Bay. The BM3 saves me from having to make 2 - 3 connections along with the walk from the train station. :mad: The B4 should be restored, but BM3 nor the BM4 should be sacrificial lambs in the process. Both the BM3 and the BM3 have suffered multiple service reductions over the last few years, so it is not as if we have the same level of service. We are barely keeping our hourly service on Saturdays even with the city subsidizing it.

I am waiting on another FOIA request for the Amtrak tariff. Maybe each of us can do a different part/agency. Somebody want to take some of these and share the results? Note that if its a paper document fees will have to be paid.

-MTA Bus route data

-NYCT route data

-Lease and Operating Agreement for Long Island Bus

-NJT route data

-Bus/subway tariff (get from NYCT)

-LIRR tariff

-MNR tariff

-Updated LIRR station-by-station ridership (latest I have is 2006)

-Updated MNR station-by-station ridership (latest I have is 2007)

I've done the 2 LIRR ones, will do the MNR ones as soon as I get a reply.

By the way, you mean FOIL, right?

And I was able to get a transcript of the SI service cuts hearing for free, as well as the CDs from the hearing.

Re-read my post and it would make sense.

This isn't and should NOT be about screwing one set of riders so that another set of riders can't get more service, but you like to pit local against express bus riders which is preposterous. The amount of seniors that ride the BM3 would be devastated without the BM3 and riders like myself would have much longer commutes to and from Sheepshead Bay. The BM3 saves me from having to make 2 - 3 connections along with the walk from the train station. :mad: The B4 should be restored, but BM3 nor the BM4 should be sacrificial lambs in the process. Both the BM3 and the BM3 have suffered multiple service reductions over the last few years, so it is not as if we have the same level of service. We are barely keeping our hourly service on Saturdays even with the city subsidizing it.

There are plenty of areas with no off-peak express bus service that have travel times that are just as long, if not longer than Sheepshead Bay. The Rockaways, South Ozone Park, Glendale, and East Elmhurst all have either no express bus, or peak-only express service. Hell, the X27 had higher ridership than the BM routes and it was still eliminated.

I say keep the BM1 and BM2 and everybody who wants to can drive to those routes.

There are plenty of areas with no off-peak express bus service that have travel times that are just as long, if not longer than Sheepshead Bay. The Rockaways, South Ozone Park, Glendale, and East Elmhurst all have either no express bus, or peak-only express service. Hell, the X27 had higher ridership than the BM routes and it was still eliminated.

I say keep the BM1 and BM2 and everybody who wants to can drive to those routes.

Oh please. This thread was about why the Bronx gets so much express bus service, not about axing the little expres bus service that the other boroughs have.

As far as the X27 goes, the (MTA) wanted any excuse to can weekend service and wanted to can weekday service too and luckily the communities are taking a stand and trying to fight to restore all of their service. :tup: :tup:

The X27 is not under (MTA) Bus, which means that the city doesn't subsidize it, so of course they would look to cut it because it is their belief that X27 riders can simply take the subway although the provide sh*tty (R) service.

As for the BM3 and BM4, seniors and other express bus riders of the line should not have to be forced to drive anywhere when they have an express bus in their backyard. If the Bronx has empty buses running at 23:00 back to Manhattan then the BM3 and BM4 riders should be able to keep their express buses as well. :mad: The areas of Sheepshead Bay and Gerritsen Beach where these buses run do not have subways and therefore are just as dependent as the Bronx express bus riders are.

Yeah I agree with the 7. It should run 24/7. All those BxM routes have great rush hour service and most if not all of those people will say they aint taking the subway. One thing I hate is some of the drivers on the 10 crawl , but it varies between drivers, some will crawl and some will haul ass.

You know why its like that, because drivers is following time points i guess IMO while others is just hauling ass. They better hope their aint any R/O around watcing lol. I did not know you ride that line maybe we will bump in to each other one day if im doing that line before sept. Cause the fall pick i will be on the Q50.

By the way, you mean FOIL, right?

And I was able to get a transcript of the SI service cuts hearing for free, as well as the CDs from the hearing.

FOIA = FOIL. L/A is Law vs. Act.

You were able to get a transcript for free? If its not the error-laden transcript that's captioned onto the video, can you send it to me? I have the public hearing videos.

I wonder if they videotape the hearings they never put online (like the station booth closures, or the capital projects)

Free? The next fare hike we get, I'm blaming you.

The MTA screwed us over, and if I have an errand to run in the 60s I'll just hop it to 67th. Not so much because I want to pay, but because I KNOW that I won't get caught. I've seen tons of people who hop the bus for just one or two stops.

And ok, the MTA loses $2.25 every time I ride the bus, but each express bus rider is costing the MTA $10+ dollars each time they ride the express. Just something interesting to think about there.

or our own azoomin azumah

http://www.transportazumah.com/TAZ90

404 - Not Found

But once I see some actual proof that TransportAzumah will be operating a form of the X90 (not just someone posting here, but some actual document or something on their website), I couldn't care less about the MTA.

You know why its like that, because drivers is following time points i guess IMO while others is just hauling ass. They better hope their aint any R/O around watcing lol. I did not know you ride that line maybe we will bump in to each other one day if im doing that line before sept. Cause the fall pick i will be on the Q50.

I'd rather be on a bus that crawls. I remember being on the Q65 and the driver pulls into the Jewel Av stop, loads/unloads, and then proceeds to sit there for like 8 minutes. It seems like a lot longer, especially when you're in a hurry to get somewhere.

Is that why they've eliminated a TON of timepoints on the SBS routes? It's inconvenient for passengers, they really should just put the timepoints back onto the schedule with a warning: "Bus may depart early from this location"

Of course that's not a good idea for an express route during the non-rush hour when headways are wide.

The MTA screwed us over, and if I have an errand to run in the 60s I'll just hop it to 67th. Not so much because I want to pay, but because I KNOW that I won't get caught. I've seen tons of people who hop the bus for just one or two stops.

And ok, the MTA loses $2.25 every time I ride the bus, but each express bus rider is costing the MTA $10+ dollars each time they ride the express. Just something interesting to think about there.

LOL...

FOIA = FOIL. L/A is Law vs. Act.

You were able to get a transcript for free? If its not the error-laden transcript that's captioned onto the video, can you send it to me? I have the public hearing videos.

I wonder if they videotape the hearings they never put online (like the station booth closures, or the capital projects)

I think it has the same errors as the ones on the captions.

You can try calling them and asking for a copy. The person who helped me was named Douglas Sussman, Director of MTA Community Affairs. His number is (212) 878-7483.

But did the MTA really lose $2.25 if you weren't going to pay anyway? I know I'm not paying $2.25 to ride for 1/2 a mile, so I'll walk.

Did you just say other Bronx routes dont have high ridership like riverdale do LMAO:cry:, are you for real. First off the highest Bxm route which every body should know is the 7 no matter what day and night nor weekend it is. Come on dude i dont even think it have higher ridership then the 9, or 11. SMDH at you.

I just don't like to admit that others are right, so I made up the first thing that came into my head. B)

As usual he's going solely off of numbers and nothing else. :)

Except that the numbers say that the BxM7 has the highest ridership.

1) What's your point? The other Bronx express routes don't have as high ridership as the Riverdale routes.

2) Yeah, but I'm sure there are plenty of people in Sheepshead Bay who would agree with me. A friend of my grandmother lives right across the street from the first stop of the BM3 and doesn't even know it exists. She just wants the B4 back. Yeah, some people would be pissed by seeing the BM3 go, but more people would benefit from having the B4 restored.

In any case, since the city subsidizes the BM3, it's alright, but the fact that the city has a blank-check agreement in the first place (instead of just giving the MTA the money) is what's the problem. I'm sorry, but the BM3 and BM4 shouldn't be allowed to stay while the B4 is cut back.

Hell, since you want to talk about express buses, they shouldn't be allowed to stay while the X27 is cut back.

3) Alright.

Did you just say other Bronx routes dont have high ridership like riverdale do LMAO:cry:, are you for real. First off the highest Bxm route which every body should know is the 7 no matter what day and night nor weekend it is. Come on dude i dont even think it have higher ridership then the 9, or 11. SMDH at you.

He really must be smoking something, lol i dont even think riverale have higher ridership then Bxm6 at times lol, he cant be serious.

Yeah I ride the line everytime im in the city going to visit family. That heavy set spanish guy(dispatcher) that be chyllen at 23rd is a mean but nice guy. I was chatting with him for a while one day couple weeks back. He yelled at one driver for nearly hitting a cab.

I do that when I get to timepoints but I know how it feels to the pax.

He really must be smoking something, lol i dont even think riverale have higher ridership then Bxm6 at times lol, he cant be serious.

Did you read my response at 21:50?

In any case, the ranking of the routes (at least as far as weekday ridership goes) is:

BxM7

BxM9

BxM7A

BxM10

BxM1

BxM2

BxM3

BxM6

BxM4

BxM18

Yeah I ride the line everytime im in the city going to visit family. That heavy set spanish guy(dispatcher) that be chyllen at 23rd is a mean but nice guy. I was chatting with him for a while one day couple weeks back. He yelled at one driver for nearly hitting a cab.

I do that when I get to timepoints but I know how it feels to the pax.

LOL i know who you talking about, yea i dont play with timepoints b/c i dont know who the hell is watching me lol.

Did you read my response at 21:50?

In any case, the ranking of the routes (at least as far as weekday ridership goes) is:

BxM7

BxM9

BxM7A

BxM10

BxM1

BxM2

BxM3

BxM6

BxM4

BxM18

Are those what you believe or are they backed up with statistics? If so where did you get those stats?

Are those what you believe or are they backed up with statistics? If so where did you get those stats?

Of course. I always have sources.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aha-LfXMlWNBdHd4QkhLRF92cURWNWdSbzNfSjJwWWc&hl=en#gid=2 (This was transcribed from the MTA Bus service reductions booklet, since they removed it from their website)

And here: http://www.mta.info/nyct/facts/ridership/ (scroll to the bottom for the MTA Bus ridership)

I forgot about the second link, so that's from the first link (the numbers are from last year, but I don't think the rankings could've really changed. The BxM2 and BxM3 were really close, but that's about it)

For those in Upper East Side/Yorkville like Gorgor, I still feel a compromise is to create a "M90" limited making limited stops along York between 92nd and 57th then non-stop express via FDR and then all stops via Park Row/Chambers to Battery Park City.

That might not be so bad an idea, but I think it should keep the X90 routing south of 23 St. Another option maybe, could be that if something like the M90 Limited comes into existence, it should accept +SBS receipts from M15 +SBS passengers headed in the same direction.

That might not be so bad an idea, but I think it should keep the X90 routing south of 23 St. Another option maybe, could be that if something like the M90 Limited comes into existence, it should accept +SBS receipts from M15 +SBS passengers headed in the same direction.

Am I the only one who DOESN'T UNDERSTAND how having a bus that costs $3.25 LESS than before will generate MORE MONEY?!?!?

Please explain because this makes absolutely no sense.

Archived