Why does the Bronx get express bus service so late at night?

Via Garibaldi 8

I spoke about this very problem at the hearing stating that we often having standees late at night on the X1 and also on the X10 as well. I have wrote in on several occasions about the X10 and some of them have been adhering to the schedule. However, I am still finding that going towards Manhattan the X10s are about 10 minutes early and that is simply because they aren't adhering to the schedule and the fact that they are given too much time to get from one stop to another. It is something that I plan to speak about at the next hearing because we have been writing over and over about this problem and it needs to be addressed because we're not benefiting from the increased service that has been provided on the X10. :mad:

here is a solution to the X10 reprint the schedule to say bus times are adjusted to leave 10 mins earlier to manhattan thus making the schedule accurate problem solved

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone thought of the fact that the Bronx is more densely populated than Staten Island and the eastern half of Queens? The popualtion density in most of the Bronx is such that subways, local buses and express buses can all get decent ridership. Hence express buses run nearly 24/7 in the Bronx. The ridership on routes like the BxM7 and BxM10 is certainly there and the other routes also have great "ridership potential".

here is a solution to the X10 reprint the schedule to say bus times are adjusted to leave 10 mins earlier to manhattan thus making the schedule accurate problem solved

Bravo:tup: Probably your best comments/post to date since you joined NYCTF. 4 stars for that Transitmaster J. (I am serious about it guys):P:cool:

FYI. Metro North and i think LIRR already does that for usually super express rush hour trains that may arrive/leave a station a few minutes earlier.

FYI. Metro North and i think LIRR already does that for usually super express rush hour trains that may arrive/leave a station a few minutes earlier.

MNR/NJT has this rule for some trains near the end of their runs. It's labeled in the schedule as an L (NJTR) or H (MNR) stop.

LIRR doesn't have D, R, or L stops, but there is a rule saying that all eastbound PM peak trains may leave up to 5 minutes early at all stations except western terminals.

(and yes, some trains do make use of that rule)

The Bronx subways is always screwed up. The BxM6\7\7A\10 are much quicker then the 2\5\6.
true those lines are so FAIL!!!!!! As duplicative as the BXM6 is it is still faster and that alone increases ridership potential.

Here we go again...
nuff said

WHY is it that the MTA can afford to have Bronx express buses running at midnight on a Sunday but they have to cut quite a few rush hour only express buses that had decent ridership levels?

And who cares if the subway is screwed up? They eliminated my express bus and the subway here is ALWAYS messed up in the morning. A subway ride that takes 15 minutes in the afternoon coming back can easily take 25-30 minutes in the morning rush due to trains bunching up and generic delays. Quite a few times it has taken 45 minutes due to just randomly stopping in the tunnel and not moving for a good 5-10 minutes.

Also I was looking at the Bronx Bus Map, and I cannot believe any of this:

- The BxM4 runs above the (:P(D) for almost its entire route

- The BxM6 is easily within walking distance of the (6)<6> Parkchester station

- For the ENTIRETY of its route, the BxM11 runs DIRECTLY UNDER the (2)<5> trains

If the MTA decided that in June 2010 they were going to remove express buses and give the reason because they ran parallel to subway lines, I saw remove those routes, or AT LEAST THE BxM11 because the <5> train right there goes to the exact same place much faster.

Dude shut up X90 could simply be interlined with any SI express route like X14 problem solved.

Here we go again with your precious express bus rants!

#1. The (:o and (D) train stations for the most part have no ADA accessibility, the BxM4 fixes that problem and runs farther than the (B) and (D)

#2. The BxM6 reaches places that the (6) doesnt, ever thought of that?

#3. There IS no <5> for quite a long time in The Bronx because of the construction along the line & the East 180th Street Station & Signal rehab IIRC, the BxM11 is the replacement for the time being. Also, no ADA accessibility along the (2)/(5) for the most part (and dont say build escalators or elevators unless you are paying for them)

Notably so, the BxM4 and BxM11 pick up handicapped passengers.

Also, 30-45 minutes is not that bad compared to 1hr + going to another borough, so stop complaining.

BXM4 fixes no problems as the BX1 LTD is there. Outside of rush hour and even some peak trips on BXM4 usually carries air literally they are that empty that line has no business running on grand concourse period reguardless of any argument period the riders hate that segment the most. BXM11 as much of a copy cat it is it is still faster if done in combination with (2). If you use (2) to reach BXM11 you missed or vice versa you can completely take advantage of the BXM11's speed.

Many Woodlawn residents use the BxM4 because the Bx34 doesn't even run on weekends. The Bx31 is a bus that NEVER follows it's schedule. Woodlawn has a nice night life, pubs, bars, restaurants... It would take an extremely long time to commute from Woodlawn to the city. Why don't you try doing this for yourself?

The BxM6 gets decent ridership, so does that matter? If it ain't broke don't fix it. Parkchester actually needs that BxM6, looking at a map doesn't tell everything. There's a reason it's there, so don't be like Dora the Explorer thinking the map tells all.

The BxM11 also gets good ridership, and you forget how these buses are not running on 7th Avenue, and how painfully long it takes for the 2 train to get from Manhattan to the Bronx.

YOU JUST MAD BECAUSE YOUR EXPRESS BUS WAS CUT.

Oh hey, why don't you try living in the Bronx and commuting to Manhattan. It takes me from 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 50 minutes to get to 34th and 8th, with NO subway delays. You're whining when your commute takes any longer than 25 minutes? Hahahahahahahaha!!!

I'll laugh again at your cut express bus. LOL!

I doubt BXM4 has weekend ridership everytime I used it on weekends I was the only one on the bus I was very lonely the BXM4 doesn't have weekend demand it carries air. BXM4 would be more effective if rerouted over bruckner via allerton which would decrease travel time thus garnering more ridership. At rush hour the BXM4 gets smoked by the (D) express however off-peak the BXM4 is king in terms of speed. I agree.

1) You could've said something like "ultimately, we should have 24/7 service" or something like that.

And my S93 proposal wasn't cost-neutral, but the additional revenue would offset the costs. Now if they bothered to read my revised proposal (it wasn't even revised. I just elaborated on it more), they'd know that.

2) Does Hylan Blvd ring a bell? Hell, my neighborhood has 2 express buses off-peak, as does Arrochar (though admittedly, it's because these areas are close to the SIE)

3) There are services more important to restore than the express buses. I know you're going to disagree, but the money used for running the BM3 on Saturdays would be better used to restore off-peak service on the B4.

Plus, if the city gives the MTA the money, they have more of an incentive to try to increase the ridership on the lines.

4) It's a blank check agreement. The MTA tells the city what it costs to run the MTA Bus routes (minus the revenue brought in) and the city gives them the money. This also applies to the local routes, though most of them are pretty efficient.

As far as why the Bronx routes get later service than the Brooklyn routes, it's because they are cheaper to run, so the MTA probably feels that there is higher demand in the evening for the Bronx routes. As far as the Queens routes go, I think the Bronx routes are still more efficient.

The X25 was interlined with the X29, and it could return if it were interlined with another route in the Midtown area. I think the problem was the low frequency that killed it. Even if it offers a more comfortable ride, people aren't willing to wait 30 minutes for a bus, and pay $5.50 to boot.

And the X90 was pretty efficient as well. It cost around $10 per person (which is decent for an express bus), and if the frequencies were reduced (and it was interlined with another express route), it could've become even more efficient.

The BX expresses have much higher ridership than brooklyn lines period. dude NO ONE USED X25 it was useless period it made weekend BXM4 look crushloaded that's how empty X25 was. I disagree checkmate S93 would be better off being sent to NJ elizbeth which would garner huge ridership I am scared that if extended to NJ it may become a slaveship on wheels.

Re-read my post and it would make sense.

In any case, since the city subsidizes the BM3, it's alright, but the fact that the city has a blank-check agreement in the first place (instead of just giving the MTA the money) is what's the problem. I'm sorry, but the BM3 and BM4 shouldn't be allowed to stay while the B4 is cut back.

Hell, since you want to talk about express buses, they shouldn't be allowed to stay while the X27 is cut back.

This isn't and should NOT be about screwing one set of riders so that another set of riders can't get more service, but you like to pit local against express bus riders which is preposterous. The amount of seniors that ride the BM3 would be devastated without the BM3 and riders like myself would have much longer commutes to and from Sheepshead Bay. The BM3 saves me from having to make 2 - 3 connections along with the walk from the train station. :mad: The B4 should be restored, but BM3 nor the BM4 should be sacrificial lambs in the process. Both the BM3 and the BM3 have suffered multiple service reductions over the last few years, so it is not as if we have the same level of service. We are barely keeping our hourly service on Saturdays even with the city subsidizing it.

The BM4 does NOT need off-peak service B31 to BM3 is good enough. BM4 should not have saturday service at all it carries air. If anything If BM4 loses weekend service BM1 and BM3 can get their saturday service enhanced with service expanded into the night. BM3 is too important due to it's segment in sheepshead, BM1 is the only bus on ave K. I would have BM3 and BM1 become open-door with BM3 going LTD stops on ocean ave then enhance their weekend service. BM2 ppl can use BM1/3 to kensington and transfer to B103.

Has anyone thought of the fact that the Bronx is more densely populated than Staten Island and the eastern half of Queens? The popualtion density in most of the Bronx is such that subways, local buses and express buses can all get decent ridership. Hence express buses run nearly 24/7 in the Bronx. The ridership on routes like the BxM7 and BxM10 is certainly there and the other routes also have great "ridership potential".

EXACTLY The ridership is why bronx has the service it has most of the lines are VERY WELL USED!!!!!!!! With only 2 exceptions at off-peak BXM2 and 4 have very light weekend use. The 4 will gain additional riders with a simple streamlining. Is it possible to reroute BXM2 to henry hudson parkway??? northbound service that is??

Why would you send the s93 to Elizibeth. This aint pick a bus and send it god knows where. The MTA does not need to be sending buses into NJ like that.

Back to the Bronx Express routes. Some of you people need to wake up and smell the coffee. Staten Island you need a car point blank in most cases. You cant compare the Bronx to Staten Island. If you choose to live that far out its on you, dont like it move into the city. You have the ferry ect, what more do you people want. The Bronx needs its Express routes because without them the trains become a sardine can, well they already are but you know what I mean. The (2) is a joke and is standing room only before it even gets to 180th from 241. The (2) just decides to come whenever the hell it feels like. Then it bunches up badly trains crawl. Who the hell wants to deal with that, and the fact it seems like it takes almost and hr from 241 to 149. The Express buses are the way to go. Then you got the damn (5) who gets to Morris Park in a decent time but then gets held up because of the slow ass (2). I saw them let two (2) trains pass before the (5) could go. Just sad

Queens on the other hand is just under served.

Back to the Bronx Express routes. Some of you people need to wake up and smell the coffee. Staten Island you need a car point blank in most cases. You cant compare the Bronx to Staten Island. If you choose to live that far out its on you, dont like it move into the city. You have the ferry ect, what more do you people want. The Bronx needs its Express routes because without them the trains become a sardine can, well they already are but you know what I mean. The (2) is a joke and is standing room only before it even gets to 180th from 241. The (2) just decides to come whenever the hell it feels like. Then it bunches up badly trains crawl. Who the hell wants to deal with that, and the fact it seems like it takes almost and hr from 241 to 149. The Express buses are the way to go. Then you got the damn (5) who gets to Morris Park in a decent time but then gets held up because of the slow ass (2). I saw them let two (2) trains pass before the (5) could go. Just sad

Well said. The only BxM route I dislike is the 10. The (2) and (5) are complete jokes except when they want to run properly, the (4) and (6) with a transfer to a bus are much better by far. The BxM7 gets caught in heavy traffic 90% of the time and still gets to section 5 of Co-Op City in good time.

As for Queens, you damn right we are underserved. Fresh Meadows, Glen Oaks and North Shore Towers folk get the most service out of everywhere else(rightfully so). I just wish they expanded x63/64/68 service to end at 9pm for the latest instead of 7pm, thats just garbage right there.

As for S.I, I'm 50/50. They should just convert the SIR into a subway line for Staten Island with much more frequent headways. That Tottenville EXP is the shit during the weekdays taking you to Tottenville in 22 minutes or less. The ferry has its perks, but if you are like me and you can't be f*cked with the ferry going back to the city, the express bus gets you to the city in 30-45 mins. That has been my only option to get back to the city considering that I live in this area of Queens now (vomit).

There are some things that can be improved on the S.I end of things, I agree on that.

BXM4 fixes no problems as the BX1 LTD is there. Outside of rush hour and even some peak trips on BXM4 usually carries air literally they are that empty that line has no business running on grand concourse period reguardless of any argument period the riders hate that segment the most. BXM11 as much of a copy cat it is it is still faster if done in combination with (2). If you use (2) to reach BXM11 you missed or vice versa you can completely take advantage of the BXM11's speed.

I doubt BXM4 has weekend ridership everytime I used it on weekends I was the only one on the bus I was very lonely the BXM4 doesn't have weekend demand it carries air. BXM4 would be more effective if rerouted over bruckner via allerton which would decrease travel time thus garnering more ridership. At rush hour the BXM4 gets smoked by the (D) express however off-peak the BXM4 is king in terms of speed. I agree.

#1. The x90 has always been based out of a Manhattan depot, it wont interline with anything.

#2. The Bx1 LTD doesnt go into Manhattan now does it. And the BxM4 is way faster than the Bx1 LTD to an ADA Accessible station....

Ferry, etc. What etc?? LOL Well we don't have subways and our express buses are already sardine cans. However, this isn't about that. This is about each borough getting its fair share of services. Now I'm from Brooklyn and Brooklyn has the biggest population by far and our express bus service is being slashed. Meanwhile the Bronx has empty express buses running here and there but esp. late at night, so if they're slashing our service citing I assume low ridership then I find it rather hypocritical that they continue to run empty express buses in the Bronx. Actually the same is true in Queens too. They're slashing service citing low ridership. Meanwhile the Bronx has kept all of their express bus service. If that's not lopsided then I don't know what is.

That's all fine and good. All I'm saying is that the other boroughs should get its fair share of services. By your definition then Brooklyn should get the most express bus service because it has the biggest population. I just love the double standards here in trying to justify why you guys should have your service and why the other boroughs should get jack. LOL

That's all fine and good. All I'm saying is that the other boroughs should get its fair share of services. By your definition then Brooklyn should get the most express bus service because it has the biggest population. I just love the double standards here in trying to justify why you guys should have your service and why the other boroughs should get jack. LOL

How about you folks in Staten Island be content with the service you do have and continue riding it in strong numbers so it doesn't get cut?

How about you folks in Staten Island be content with the service you do have and continue riding it in strong numbers so it doesn't get cut?

Uh, yeah, we have the highest ridership in terms of express buses in the system so I doubt that's an issue. What we need is more service. And no we're not content with SRO crushloaded buses while the Bronx has empty express buses running to the city at 23:00.

@Vg8

Your saying it like the BxM routes are running totally empty. Now I do agree the 10 never really gets full but you cant just slash it.

There has to be a reason why those other routes got slashed. They were not just slashed for the sake of getting rid of it to make a bunch of people unhappy. The simple fact people take things for granted. We had a run that got eliminated because people were not riding it but when it was slashed then the bitching came about. Not every run will be packed on a bus and if a run is riding empty all the time(daily) then by all means you make the choice on whether or not it should be axed. If you got rid of anyone of those BxM runs then anyone of those routes will have serious problems. Ive been on x17a's & j's and I been on an a that wasnt nearly full then another time it was 100% full.

The MTA knows alot of ppl in SI have cars so I think that maybe the issue right there.

@Vg8

Your saying it like the BxM routes are running totally empty. Now I do agree the 10 never really gets full but you cant just slash it.

There has to be a reason why those other routes got slashed. They were not just slashed for the sake of getting rid of it to make a bunch of people unhappy. The simple fact people take things for granted. We had a run that got eliminated because people were not riding it but when it was slashed then the bitching came about. Not every run will be packed on a bus and if a run is riding empty all the time(daily) then by all means you make the choice on whether or not it should be axed. If you got rid of anyone of those BxM runs then anyone of those routes will have serious problems. Ive been on x17a's & j's and I been on an a that wasnt nearly full then another time it was 100% full.

The MTA knows alot of ppl in SI have cars so I think that maybe the issue right there.

You make a valid point. That's part of the problem too. People have cars on SI because they think that the transportation lacks. My thing is though is that express bus service isn't that bad overall. What I asked the (MTA) to do at the last hearing was to simply give us more service on the three busiest lines: X1, X10 and X17. I pointed out to them that these 3 lines have the highest ridership in the system and the X1 and X10 in particular suffer from SRO buses late at night. I would be quite satisfied if they pulled a few buses that weren't heavily used and have them run later at night to alleviate the crowding and also give us service later.

This would make the cost to run them either cost neutral or cost next to nothing. The reason for my gripe is that the (MTA) has always said that we couldn't have expanded service because they didn't have enough space depot wise to run the service that we needed, but they have always acknowledged that we are underserved in terms of service. Now that we have two new depots, we expect to see service improvements, so I brought up this need at the last hearing in July. I will admit that they have been adding service on all three lines, but the last few runs at night have not been addressed yet, so I'll be following up w/them to see what will be done w/my proposal. There should be another hearing in a few months so I'll know more by then if I don't hear anything from anyone that I e-mailed.

As for BxMs running empty, not all of them do, but there are a few of them that run empty down 5th Avenue, most notably the BxM3, BxM4, BxM6 and BxM7A... Those four lines don't necessarily need service at 23:00 back to Manhattan if they're running empty. I mean the X1 has its latest bus at usually around 22:00 going to the city and those buses usually run pretty full, so my point is those buses could be better used by having them run later at night instead either on the same line or on a line like the BxM7 which could use the additional service later at night.

Why would you send the s93 to Elizibeth. This aint pick a bus and send it god knows where. The MTA does not need to be sending buses into NJ like that.

So true but sending the S93 to elizbeth improves connectivity between SI and NJ and will eliminate the notion that SI has limited transportation. That notion is born from lack of NJ bound service yeah S79 and S53 are frequent to Brooklyn yes Express service to manhattan is excellent and you have the ferry to boot one thing in SI that is missing!!!!! NO SERVICE TO NJ FROM SI!!!!!!! The S89 only goes to bayonne one problem its rush hr only and ppl aren't just going to bayonne NJ ppl are heading out to other places in NJ. That is the weakness of SI transit.

Ferry, etc. What etc?? LOL Well we don't have subways and our express buses are already sardine cans. However, this isn't about that. This is about each borough getting its fair share of services. Now I'm from Brooklyn and Brooklyn has the biggest population by far and our express bus service is being slashed. Meanwhile the Bronx has empty express buses running here and there but esp. late at night, so if they're slashing our service citing I assume low ridership then I find it rather hypocritical that they continue to run empty express buses in the Bronx. Actually the same is true in Queens too. They're slashing service citing low ridership. Meanwhile the Bronx has kept all of their express bus service. If that's not lopsided then I don't know what is.

Brooklyn doesn't have the highways to support any more express buses. The subway fills in the void for parts of BK not near a highway which is northern BK. Southern BK is where most if not all BM expresses go. In addition ppl aren't using their buses the BM5 carries air off-peak it only runs since it's cheaper to operate than a DH and is very close to the depot. BM4 doesn't deserve off-peak service period.

Well said. The only BxM route I dislike is the 10. The (2) and (5) are complete jokes except when they want to run properly, the (4) and (6) with a transfer to a bus are much better by far. The BxM7 gets caught in heavy traffic 90% of the time and still gets to section 5 of Co-Op City in good time.

As for Queens, you damn right we are underserved. Fresh Meadows, Glen Oaks and North Shore Towers folk get the most service out of everywhere else(rightfully so). I just wish they expanded x63/64/68 service to end at 9pm for the latest instead of 7pm, thats just garbage right there.

As for S.I, I'm 50/50. They should just convert the SIR into a subway line for Staten Island with much more frequent headways. That Tottenville EXP is the shit during the weekdays taking you to Tottenville in 22 minutes or less. The ferry has its perks, but if you are like me and you can't be f*cked with the ferry going back to the city, the express bus gets you to the city in 30-45 mins. That has been my only option to get back to the city considering that I live in this area of Queens now (vomit).

There are some things that can be improved on the S.I end of things, I agree on that.

#1. The x90 has always been based out of a Manhattan depot, it wont interline with anything.

#2. The Bx1 LTD doesnt go into Manhattan now does it. And the BxM4 is way faster than the Bx1 LTD to an ADA Accessible station....

one problem with BXM4 very few ppl use the grand concourse stops and not enough to justify the BXM4 stopping there. I would create a rush hr only BXM5 for grand concourse to norwood lets see how well that does!!!!! Then BXM4 reroutes over bronx river parkway to allerton going to brainbridge and norwood directly avoiding the joke on the concourse. This will expose the true demand for express service on the concourse.

Underserved in queens referring to bold that is a laugh during hours when X68/64/63 aren't running use LIRR to locust manor and get Q4 or (E) train or LIRR to jamacia for Q83. Also for hillside (F) express to 179th then use whatever comes first. Q5 and Q85 on merrick in addition to LIRR to rosedale and locust manor cmon. Those areas don't need additional express buses outside rush hr ppl won't use em especially on weekends with the cityticket the LIRR would kill em on weekends the only line I see that needs more is the QM21 that line if merged with X63 however can do well with off-peak service. But weekend express service on x64/68/63 is a no-go and guaranteed to FAIL. The X63 if merged with QM21 and losing the merrick blvd segment would ripen it up for later service you have a point to an extent.

You make a valid point. That's part of the problem too. People have cars on SI because they think that the transportation lacks. My thing is though is that express bus service isn't that bad overall. What I asked the (MTA) to do at the last hearing was to simply give us more service on the three busiest lines: X1, X10 and X17. I pointed out to them that these 3 lines have the highest ridership in the system and the X1 and X10 in particular suffer from SRO buses late at night. I would be quite satisfied if they pulled a few buses that weren't heavily used and have them run later at night to alleviate the crowding and also give us service later.

This would make the cost to run them either cost neutral or cost next to nothing. The reason for my gripe is that the (MTA) has always said that we couldn't have expanded service because they didn't have enough space depot wise to run the service that we needed, but they have always acknowledged that we are underserved in terms of service. Now that we have two new depots, we expect to see service improvements, so I brought up this need at the last hearing in July. I will admit that they have been adding service on all three lines, but the last few runs at night have not been addressed yet, so I'll be following up w/them to see what will be done w/my proposal. There should be another hearing in a few months so I'll know more by then if I don't hear anything from anyone that I e-mailed.

As for BxMs running empty, not all of them do, but there are a few of them that run empty down 5th Avenue, most notably the BxM3, BxM4, BxM6 and BxM7A... Those four lines don't necessarily need service at 23:00 back to Manhattan if they're running empty. I mean the X1 has its latest bus at usually around 22:00 going to the city and those buses usually run pretty full, so my point is those buses could be better used by having them run later at night instead either on the same line or on a line like the BxM7 which could use the additional service later at night.

My express bus interlining proposal would have eliminated most of those problems with one borough getting more than another. Since some BXMs would enter manhattan then at random interline with an SI route like X10 or X1 or some BM lines. But if you want an idea of how that can work I would let you figure it out

damn this thread blew up.... more x90 bullshit I see.... smh...

I'm not concerned w/ the other side discussions, but this has basically turned into a general bronx vs staten island express bus service debate....

via, you should have stuck to your guns, instead of losing focus & addressing the comments (in attempting to defend) staten island.... You have a legitimate question/gripe in your OP.... The counter-arguments I'm seeing in this thread by others, are really regarding express bus service in the Bronx, period....

Guess I'll sit this one out until someone gives their take as to why the bronx gets so much service during the later hours.... So as Trainmaster5 would say.... carry on.

Am I the only one who DOESN'T UNDERSTAND how having a bus that costs $3.25 LESS than before will generate MORE MONEY?!?!?

Please explain because this makes absolutely no sense.

Well, express buses have a higher cost per passengers than local and limited-stop buses. Turning the X90 into a limited stop variant reduce costs. In addition said variant can also be interlined with another local route if necessary.

My express bus interlining proposal would have eliminated most of those problems with one borough getting more than another. Since some BXMs would enter manhattan then at random interline with an SI route like X10 or X1 or some BM lines. But if you want an idea of how that can work I would let you figure it out

You cant just interline a BxM with an X. That will not fix the issue of most Staten Islanders having cars. If you wake up youll see the issue is that SIers have cars and is the reason to why service is crappy.

At random? This aint enter manhattan then pick a line and go game. The Bronx and SI are two different places and you cannot compare express bus service with one another. The Bronx has horrible subway service while SI has no subway. Maybe if the SIRT was converted to a subway(as cait said) and extended to manhattan and or brooklyn that would probably help.

You cant just interline a BxM with an X. That will not fix the issue of most Staten Islanders having cars. If you wake up youll see the issue is that SIers have cars and is the reason to why service is crappy.

At random? This aint enter manhattan then pick a line and go game. The Bronx and SI are two different places and you cannot compare express bus service with one another. The Bronx has horrible subway service while SI has no subway. Maybe if the SIRT was converted to a subway(as cait said) and extended to manhattan and or brooklyn that would probably help.

Yeah, he keeps proposing this wild idea for some reason or another. He just doesn't get it. :P

So true but sending the S93 to elizbeth improves connectivity between SI and NJ and will eliminate the notion that SI has limited transportation. That notion is born from lack of NJ bound service yeah S79 and S53 are frequent to Brooklyn yes Express service to manhattan is excellent and you have the ferry to boot one thing in SI that is missing!!!!! NO SERVICE TO NJ FROM SI!!!!!!! The S89 only goes to bayonne one problem its rush hr only and ppl aren't just going to bayonne NJ ppl are heading out to other places in NJ. That is the weakness of SI transit.

Transitmaster again turning a thread 'upside down' with his foamer fantasy 'einstein' proposals.:confused: You never give up don't you? Plus how many people in SW Brooklyn are going to Elizabeth (NJT) station? Let em go to Midtown for (NJT) trains or in near future transfer in SI for a possible new SI-Newark Airport bus.

If anything while i agree a SI-Elizabeth bus route with at least daily hourly headways is needed, not all the way to Bay Ridge where this proposed (S93) could take 2-3 hours if got stuck in traffic which happens on weekends as well. Just let a Brooklyn rider take the (S53) or (S79) and transfer somewhere in SI. Please cut back Transitmaster seriously and focus on topics on hand. :tdown:

I know i used lived in Sea Gate/Coney Island and used to drive on the SI bridges i.e Outerbridge reguarly.

damn this thread blew up.... more x90 bullshit I see.... smh...

I'm not concerned w/ the other side discussions, but this has basically turned into a general bronx vs staten island express bus service debate....

via, you should have stuck to your guns, instead of losing focus & addressing the comments (in attempting to defend) staten island.... You have a legitimate question/gripe in your OP.... The counter-arguments I'm seeing in this thread by others, are really regarding express bus service in the Bronx, period....

Guess I'll sit this one out until someone gives their take as to why the bronx gets so much service during the later hours.... So as Trainmaster5 would say.... carry on.

I don't think so at all. I don't just use the express buses in Staten Island but in Brooklyn, Queens and also in the Bronx too and I have pointed that out. I felt that it was necessary to point out some of the arguments being proposed as to why the Bronx has such frequent service late at night compared not just to Staten Island but the other outer boroughs in general. Some of them are legitimate ones and some of them aren't. For example the argument of bad subway service could be said for Queens and Southern Brooklyn also in particular and if anything those two boroughs have seen their express bus service reduced.

From what I've seen so far, there appears to be several reasons as to why they receive such late service, but it makes me wonder if the (MTA) is really reviewing all express bus lines as they claim they do every three months. You notice that just about all of the BM (BM1 - BM4 anyway) express buses in Brooklyn have had 5 runs or more runs cut on Saturdays on each line on the argument of low ridership, but you have the same thing on some BxM express buses as well, yet those buses continue to run empty late into the night, so I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the (MTA).

And yes I'm a bit annoyed because I need that service going to and from Brooklyn and use it regularly, so if they were cutting across the board then I would say okay fine. Everyone is sharing the pain across all boroughs, but this isn't happening.

That had nothing to do with SI ppl having cars at all. Plus you have a point

I don't think so at all. I don't just use the express buses in Staten Island but in Brooklyn, Queens and also in the Bronx too and I have pointed that out. I felt that it was necessary to point out some of the arguments being proposed as to why the Bronx has such frequent service late at night compared not just to Staten Island but the other outer boroughs in general. Some of them are legitimate ones and some of them aren't. For example the argument of bad subway service could be said for Queens and Southern Brooklyn also in particular and if anything those two boroughs have seen their express bus service reduced.

From what I've seen so far, there appears to be several reasons as to why they receive such late service, but it makes me wonder if the (MTA) is really reviewing all express bus lines as they claim they do every three months. You notice that just about all of the BM (BM1 - BM4 anyway) express buses in Brooklyn have had 5 runs or more runs cut on Saturdays on each line on the argument of low ridership, but you have the same thing on some BxM express buses as well, yet those buses continue to run empty late into the night, so I'm just pointing out the hypocrisy of the (MTA).

And yes I'm a bit annoyed because I need that service going to and from Brooklyn and use it regularly, so if they were cutting across the board then I would say okay fine. Everyone is sharing the pain across all boroughs, but this isn't happening.

ur right but it's only a matter of time before BXM lines are next. If anything the only thing that can save BM lines from further cuts is to eliminate all BM4 weekend service. And use those runs on BM1 and BM3 which need those buses a whole lot more than BM4. The BM4 used to only have 3 Saturday round trips before MTA added runs to a useless line at the other BMs' expense!!!!!! I know I have the old command schedules to prove it. It is really the fault of the political Bullshit in garritsen beach that is constantly reducing other lines so their BM4 can run the way they think it should one problem they don't even use the bus they fight so hard to enhance for no reason. The BM4 is like cancer to the other lines except rush hour when it gets packed.

Transitmaster again turning a thread 'upside down' with his foamer fantasy 'einstein' proposals.:confused: You never give up don't you? Plus how many people in SW Brooklyn are going to Elizabeth (NJT) station? Let em go to Midtown for (NJT) trains or in near future transfer in SI for a possible new SI-Newark Airport bus.

If anything while i agree a SI-Elizabeth bus route with at least daily hourly headways is needed, not all the way to Bay Ridge where this proposed (S93) could take 2-3 hours if got stuck in traffic which happens on weekends as well. Just let a Brooklyn rider take the (S53) or (S79) and transfer somewhere in SI. Please cut back Transitmaster seriously and focus on topics on hand. :tdown:

I know i used lived in Sea Gate/Coney Island and used to drive on the SI bridges i.e Outerbridge reguarly.

The S93 extension would use forest ave before going to Elizabeth downtown. Newsflash going to NY penn from SI just to reach Elizabeth is impractical and stupid!!!!!!!! Now think about practicality of the trip that is not a practical transit trip ppl will NOT do that. Plus ppl will still have to transfer for the new SI newark airport bus I have planned. The weak routes I plan on overhauling them with major transfer points in NJ to boost ridership forcing them to improve and eventually reducing the relevance of cars in SI. Soon SI will have adequate transit and most of the problems would be obliterated no it will not involve interlining. Some SI lines would swap and new ones may be created. Many streamlined for more direct service. Clearly you do not understand what I am getting at at all.

cause if you did you would not of gave a thumbs down without knowing the underling reasons. The S93 extension will cater to SI residents so it will have 2 groups one not heading to NJ

The problem is simply The MTA isnt paying for the service in the Bronx. So they barely cut any service besides the BxM7B to City Island. So as much as I love being a Bronx Express Bus Rider when i see buses running Saturday, Sunday and middays completely empty going to Manhattan I feel resources are being wasted. Recently since my move to Allerton I can attest to horrible subway service and the awesome Manhattan bound express is. Service is not so great going back to the Bronx. Buses tend to leave ahead of schedule. I took the BxM11 and always seem to miss it even when I get to the stop a minute or two earlier than the scheduled time. I once missed a bus even though I was at the stop (32nd Street) 3 minutes early so I walked to the first stop at 26th street, and caught the BxM11 it left a full 6 minutes earlier than the scheduled departure. This seems to be the norm I'm learning.

ur right but it's only a matter of time before BXM lines are next. If anything the only thing that can save BM lines from further cuts is to eliminate all BM4 weekend service. And use those runs on BM1 and BM3 which need those buses a whole lot more than BM4. The BM4 used to only have 3 Saturday round trips before MTA added runs to a useless line at the other BMs' expense!!!!!! I know I have the old command schedules to prove it. It is really the fault of the political Bullshit in garritsen beach that is constantly reducing other lines so their BM4 can run the way they think it should one problem they don't even use the bus they fight so hard to enhance for no reason. The BM4 is like cancer to the other lines except rush hour when it gets packed.

Ugh... You and the BM4 already... Just stop it really. We heard you already for the 50th time about the route being a waste.... Blah blah blah blah blah. If it isn't the BM4, it's the BxM4, BxM4C, or the QM4. :P If you feel so strongly about certain bus routes being a waste then write in about them. It's "unfortunate" that thousands of other folks that use these lines don't share your opinion.

Archived