44s Revival crazy but not impossible

Urbanfortitude

They Better NOT be Retiring some R32 Cars! :mad:

They're not, they getting an SMS to keep in service for the next 6-8 years, but I heard a huge rumor about the (J) line, The (MTA) has still been talking about extending the (J) to Bay Parkway to help the (D), the west end riders have been complaining up the ass about how lousy the (D) is right now, so bringing the R44's back might play a HUGE role in this plus those R42's aren't going anywhere, but THIS IS ONLY a RUMOR, as much as I hate the R44's, they might have no choice but to bring them back just to add extra service in 2012, if the 44's do comeback, they going to the (C) most likely, so you might see R32's with R42's on the (J) as well as the R160's on the (J) if they decide to extend this line, as Eric B stated in the past they might have to take some R32's out of storage as well as those 14 R42's ( i would take 10 out and have 4 for parts)

They're not, they getting an SMS to keep in service for the next 6-8 years, but I heard a huge rumor about the (J) line, The (MTA) has still been talking about extending the (J) to Bay Parkway to help the (D), the west end riders have been complaining up the ass about how lousy the (D) is right now, so bringing the R44's back might play a HUGE role in this plus those R42's aren't going anywhere, but THIS IS ONLY a RUMOR, as much as I hate the R44's, they might have no choice but to bring them back just to add extra service in 2012, if the 44's do comeback, they going to the (C) most likely, so you might see R32's with R42's on the (J) as well as the R160's on the (J) if they decide to extend this line, as Eric B stated in the past they might have to take some R32's out of storage as well as those 14 R42's ( i would take 10 out and have 4 for parts)

Bro, they Really should have kept those R38's or at least the last 56 R32's jamaica once had. -__- This also may be a rumor but i heard the same thing, it can definitely be a possibility because West End riders are indeed upset with infrequent and crowded (D) service. if the (J) gets Extended, (MTA) is Eliminating the (Z)

Bro, they Really should have kept those R38's or at least the last 56 R32's jamaica once had. -__- This also may be a rumor but i heard the same thing, it can definitely be a possibility because West End riders are indeed upset with infrequent and crowded (D) service. if the (J) gets Extended, (MTA) is Eliminating the (Z)

I Know, they still have 3794-97 still in storage, they were at jamaica, and the 8 car R32's at Fresh Pond, they have about 8 cars at CI, and they have another 8 for work service and the rest are at 207th

but this talk of extending the (J) to Bay Parkway is spreading fast, and yes they should have kept most or all the phase I's and half of the R40M's

I Know, they still have 3794-97 still in storage, they were at jamaica, and the 8 car R32's at Fresh Pond, they have about 8 cars at CI, and they have another 8 for work service and the rest are at 207th

but this talk of extending the (J) to Bay Parkway is spreading fast, and yes they should have kept most or all the phase I's and half of the R40M's

oh 3797-3796 isnt scrapped? :eek: the 8 R32's at Fresh Pond shouldnt be too bad because 3370 and 3371 were fine not too long ago, i dont believe that pair is "dead" as alot of ppl are saying. I definitely agree with you on the idea of the R40M's if anything, those 50 R42's should of been replaced with R40M's in 2009. idk why the TA kept R42's :mad: there was enough of a reason to rid those R42's, they were in bad shape, remember the R42's on the (E)(F) ?? those cars dropped like flies on those lines.

I think that 3794-95 were retired, 3796-3797 are OOS (in a similar condition to 3676-77 and 3746-47), 10 cars were taken OOS for work service and 8 are at Fresh Pond. And that's it for Retired-32s.

That's it? I thought a bunch of the last Phase 1's were all being stored somewhere. I figured at least enough to be sent over to replace the 42's. I guess if there's only 28 extra cars, that's why they haven't done it. Yeah; they definitely should have kept more, to replace the 42's so that there would be only one 60's fleet left. The only hope for that now would be a revival of the 44's. So I guess sending 32's over to the (J) could only be to run them with 42's if they do that extension.

As for the 32's in Fresh Pond, the reason they were killed electrically is because the compressors were making noise, and there are residences right next to the yard. Hence, they had to be chocked, etc. like cars that are totally dead. I understood they were sent there because of a shortage of either labor or space at 207th.

This may sound crazy or retarded but I'll say anyway. Those 44's can provide more West End Service from Chambers St to Bay Pkwy but then again theres no yard for them at night.But can that be possible running a service To Bay Pkwy using the 44's from Chambers St?

Or even use Whitehall St have special trains run from Whitehall to Bay Pkwy.

Guest lance25

Alright, I guess I have to be the one to ask the obvious question here. Where is the money for this Bay Pkwy to Chambers/Essex/Whitehall service coming from?

It's one thing for the R44s to come back briefly to replace or displace the R32s. It's another entirely to suggest the agency will use said cars for some new service when there's barely and funds to keep the current service.

oh 3797-3796 isnt scrapped? :eek: the 8 R32's at Fresh Pond shouldnt be too bad because 3370 and 3371 were fine not too long ago, i dont believe that pair is "dead" as alot of ppl are saying. I definitely agree with you on the idea of the R40M's if anything, those 50 R42's should of been replaced with R40M's in 2009. idk why the TA kept R42's :mad: there was enough of a reason to rid those R42's, they were in bad shape, remember the R42's on the (E)(F) ?? those cars dropped like flies on those lines.

The R32's at Fresh Pond have bad motors.

THIS IS WHY I SAID RUMOR, If they pull the R44's out, it won't be to replace the R32's, they can't replace shit until the new R179's comes in, As I slated before, the (MTA) is in talks about this extension due to the Fact that the Slow ass (D) train can't make up for service along the West End, This i why they should have kept the (Mx), they have enough cars all they gotta do is take some R46's off the (R) about 3 train sets off the (M) and keep the remaining R42's and add some R32's to make up for service, IT could be done, and like i said before THIS IS ONLY A RUMOR!!! so don't come at my head with the flaming

Just like (MTA) can buy buses, and steal money from the riding public, they can do this, I been on the West END, they need extra service, Point Blank, I never waited for a damn train for over 15 minutes during the PM rush for a damn train, its everyday that that damn (D) train has issues and trust me we know the people that live along the west end, they have very strong politics

THIS IS WHY I SAID RUMOR, If they pull the R44's out, it won't be to replace the R32's, they can't replace shit until the new R179's comes in, As I slated before, the (MTA) is in talks about this extension due to the Fact that the Slow ass (D) train can't make up for service along the West End, This i why they should have kept the (Mx), they have enough cars all they gotta do is take some R46's off the (R) about 3 train sets off the (M) and keep the remaining R42's and add some R32's to make up for service, IT could be done, and like i said before THIS IS ONLY A RUMOR!!! so don't come at my head with the flaming

Just like (MTA) can buy buses, and steal money from the riding public, they can do this, I been on the West END, they need extra service, Point Blank, I never waited for a damn train for over 15 minutes during the PM rush for a damn train, its everyday that that damn (D) train has issues and trust me we know the people that live along the west end, they have very strong politics

I wouldnt go as Far to say its a Rumor. Its SPECULATION. Also I dont understand why some members here get all worked up over internet threads. if the simple solution is to "wait & see" why does anyone insist on insulting one another? If whats written gets you mad or prone to reply sarcastically or negatively then you need to back off your keyboard and take a walk. ITS NOT THAT SERIOUS.

Guest lance25

First off, nobody's flaming you or anything. I'm just wondering where the money for this new service is coming from.

Secondly, the (Mx) extension into south Brooklyn was never going to be kept under any circumstances outside another bailout. It was going to terminate at either Chambers St or Broad St before the idea to combine it with the (V) came about. Plus, if I recall correctly, the 4th Avenue/West End portion of the (Mx) didn't receive that much ridership to warrant retaining it. If I had to take a guess on why it lasted beyond the Manhattan Bridge work, it would be because of historical significance rather than actual ridership needs.

Also, what's this about taking trains from the (M) and (R)? Both lines already have craptastic service. You're gonna make it worse for riders on those two lines just to appease a small group of spoiled West End riders? That'll roll over really well.

That leads into my next point. It doesn't matter how much political clout a district has. Just like Astoria riders were unable to keep the (W) running, West End riders won't be able to bring back the (Mx) or create some new service if the (MTA) still doesn't the money for it.

In short, yes, service sucks on most lines. That doesn't mean that the agency should be adding service for a bunch of whiners at the expense of other riders. Either suck it up and ride the damn trains or find alternate methods of transportation.

BTW, how the hell did this thread about the R44s turn into yet another thread about extra West End service?

I'm hearing this was talked about on subchat and now it's been brushed by my ears personally that these cars could come back from the dead. I'm not one to start these kind of threads but I do want to see what someone well informed has to say on the subject. (INDman, Subwayguy you out there?)

Interesting.....

If I recall correctly, I mentioned this rumor a few weeks ago, and got my head chewed off!

Extending the (J) to Bay Parkway would kill the skip stop service along the Jamaica Line, and you can't extend the (J), and the (Z) together to South Brooklyn without facing serious congestion problems along the Montague Street Tunnel and the Fourth Avenue Line. So to extend the (J) to Bay Parkway (Or Ninth Avenue) you would have to kill the (Z). This would in the end solve nothing, because the crowding along the Jamaica Line would not be solved alone with just the (J) train. Hopefully when the first phase of the Second Avenue Subway opens on 2016 the (W), or some sort of new Broadway Local service would run from Bay Parkway to Astoria Ditmars Boulevard solving all problems.

Archived