Short turned buses?

Gorgor

I think that's the right term. I was just looking at some of the bus schedules and noticed that some buses don't do the entire route, but just a small portion of it. Besides for the obvious question of why the do it, I'm wondering where exactly these buses terminate because the schedules don't make it quite clear. I'm not really interested in the ones that start their route later on in the route, but that end their route somewhere in the middle.

Bus routes in question:

M3 - Some southbound buses terminate somewhere between 125th and 110th

M4 - Some southbound buses terminate somewhere between 135th and 110th

M5 - Some southbound buses terminate somewhere between 135th and 96th

M101 - Some southbound buses terminate somewhere between 96th and 42nd

M102 - Some southbound buses terminate somewhere between 96th and 42nd

M103 - Some northbound buses terminate somewhere between 96th and 125th

Most M1SB turns around at 59th St.

Most M2 LTD/M3 SB turns around at 26th St.

Some M1/M2/M3 SB turns around at 42nd St.

When they do, some buses use 42nd St or some buses use 41st St turn around.

Some M4 NB turns around at 168th St or 190th St during museum hours.

Some Q33NB ends at 23rd Av/94th St.

When 126th St bus stop is open by depot.

Some M15SBS NB turns around at 125th St instead of going to 126th St Depot stop.

There are several reasons for short turns:

-To save money by providing less service to the less busier part of the route while not overcrowding the busy part

-To reduce cumulative delays on a long route caused by traffic or so that an incident one one part of the route doesn't affect the whole route

-Because they're deadhead trips that have been converted to revenue service.

Have a look at this:

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/tcrp/tcrp_rpt_135.pdf

(checkmate, this is the scheduling manual I sent you)

The B44 has lots of short-turns.

- Flushing Av/Fulton St/Eastern Parkway/the school trippers run to Church Ave/Flatbush Avenue/Avenue U/Avenue X, and some trips to Nostrand Avenue and Emmons Avenue.

So does the B6. And the B46. B35 has Kings Highway and I think Nostrand Av- short-turns. The B8 has Nostrand Av short-turns during Rush Hour, as does the B41 to Flatbush Av (2)(5) or Empire Blvd.

The B46 short-turns to Dekalb Ave eventually got so prevealant that, aside from getting its own thread here, the (MTA) amended the B46's timetable:

Old:

Local and Limited-Stop Service from Kings Plaza to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

New:

Local and Limited-Stop Service from Kings Plaza to Bedford-Stuyvesant or Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

The M15 SBS has some Houston St short turns during AM Rush Hour. What's interesting is that when SBS started in October 2010, those short-turns ran down to South Ferry but they were cut back to Houston St with the November 2010 schedule.

There are several reasons for short turns:

-To save money by providing less service to the less busier part of the route while not overcrowding the busy part

-To reduce cumulative delays on a long route caused by traffic or so that an incident one one part of the route doesn't affect the whole route

-Because they're deadhead trips that have been converted to revenue service.

Have a look at this:

http://onlinepubs.trb.org/onlinepubs/tcrp/tcrp_rpt_135.pdf

(checkmate, this is the scheduling manual I sent you)

Thanks for the link; this manual is really interesting reading!

The B44 has lots of short-turns.

- Flushing Av/Fulton St/Eastern Parkway/the school trippers run to Church Ave/Flatbush Avenue/Avenue U/Avenue X, and some trips to Nostrand Avenue and Emmons Avenue.

So does the B6. And the B46. B35 has Kings Highway and I think Nostrand Av- short-turns. The B8 has Nostrand Av short-turns during Rush Hour, as does the B41 to Flatbush Av (2)(5) or Empire Blvd.

The B46 short-turns to Dekalb Ave eventually got so prevealant that, aside from getting its own thread here, the (MTA) amended the B46's timetable:

Old:

Local and Limited-Stop Service from Kings Plaza to Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

New:

Local and Limited-Stop Service from Kings Plaza to Bedford-Stuyvesant or Williamsburg Bridge Plaza

about the B44, you aint kiddin... there's one at empire also....

B46 short turn terminals are at dekalb av, Kings Hwy, fillmore av, & eastern pkwy... as far as 46's ending at dekalb, it's gotten a lot more common to see those, over 46's out of williamsburg.....

I think they stopped those EB B35 trips that originated at nostrand av....

B35 really only has mcdonald av & kings hwy.... used to have some buses that ended at 5th av, but now they just send all those buses down to 1st av, and have them deadhead back to the depot from there....

I'm not sure of all the B6 short turns, but the ones I know of, are at glenwood, rockaway pkwy. subway, & coney island av....

about the B44, you aint kiddin... there's one at empire also....

B46 short turn terminals are at dekalb av, Kings Hwy, fillmore av, & eastern pkwy... as far as 46's ending at dekalb, it's gotten a lot more common to see those, over 46's out of williamsburg.....

I think they stopped those EB B35 trips that originated at nostrand av....

B35 really only has mcdonald av & kings hwy.... used to have some buses that ended at 5th av, but now they just send all those buses down to 1st av, and have them deadhead back to the depot from there....

I'm not sure of all the B6 short turns, but the ones I know of, are at glenwood, rockaway pkwy. subway, & coney island av....

Wow....I never knew they was a short turn @ Glenwood.....the rest I know. Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway Station one isn't really a short turn....the local buses just end there I guess to ease the overcrowding of the bus under the Livonia El!

That's not a short turn.....that's the late night terminal!

I meant some middays, some Bx19 ends at late night terminal even when park is opened.

Some bx19 buses are short turning during the day due to road work at the Park.

M11 is not going into the park but ending at 145th / Riverside Drive.

Wow....I never knew they was a short turn @ Glenwood.....the rest I know. Canarsie-Rockaway Parkway Station one isn't really a short turn....the local buses just end there I guess to ease the overcrowding of the bus under the Livonia El!

that should read glenwood/nostrand; or more accurately, nostrand av..... my fault....

but yeah, there are eastbound B6's that begin their trip at nostrand.... and boy are those necessary....

the other day I walked to the junction (down brooklyn av & across glenwood), and there was a WB B6 that stopped dead right there on Nostrand av.... not the first time I seen that happen though, but I'm more to used to seeing the B6 WB buses short turn @ CI av....

that should read glenwood/nostrand; or more accurately, nostrand av..... my fault....

but yeah, there are eastbound B6's that begin their trip at nostrand.... and boy are those necessary....

the other day I walked to the junction (down brooklyn av & across glenwood), and there was a WB B6 that stopped dead right there on Nostrand av.... not the first time I seen that happen though, but I'm more to used to seeing the B6 WB buses short turn @ CI av....

When FLA had tripper on the B6 EB Buses short turned @ ralph av back to the junction.

I think that's the right term. I was just looking at some of the bus schedules and noticed that some buses don't do the entire route, but just a small portion of it. Besides for the obvious question of why the do it, I'm wondering where exactly these buses terminate because the schedules don't make it quite clear. I'm not really interested in the ones that start their route later on in the route, but that end their route somewhere in the middle.

Bus routes in question:

M3 - Some southbound buses terminate somewhere between 125th and 110th

M4 - Some southbound buses terminate somewhere between 135th and 110th

M5 - Some southbound buses terminate somewhere between 135th and 96th

M101 - Some southbound buses terminate somewhere between 96th and 42nd

M102 - Some southbound buses terminate somewhere between 96th and 42nd

M103 - Some northbound buses terminate somewhere between 96th and 125th

Those are basically in-service pull-in trips. They operate in service just far enough to get near the depot, then pull in...

M3: St. Nicholas & 125th.

M4, M5: Broadway & 135th.

M101/102/103: Lexington & 99th.

Archived