What was everyone doing the morning of 9/11/2001?

N-Trizzy2609

I was in High School, saw the buildings collapse with my own eyes since my High School was close enough in Brooklyn that you could see the Twin Towers. Sad day.

You consider not being able to watch your TV shows unlucky?:tdown:

I meant I missed several my favorite TV shows like Pokemon on KidsWB11, and Dragon Tales, etc.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was watching a movie, then i went to the aol home screen for some reason on my computer, i saw the images, thought it was some promo for a made for tv movie or something. Then, it was on every channel, people re-playing the second plane hit, really the media coverage wasn't bad considering the horrible confusing mess going on.

I walked upstairs where my sister had been watching for longer than i had.

All i could choke out was "can you believe this?".

My mom called & was saying she's coming home because they were starting to close all of the NJ-PA connections (all bridges).

I remember calling the bank for my mom to see if they were open (at this point i was certain the country had pretty much shut down), the woman said "yes i don't know why we wouldn't be" & i briefly told her the details & then we started to realize we may have family in the wtc.

We called and called to hundreds of places to see if anyone had current info on the 2 guys we were thinking of related to my aunt. They were ok.....

Sadly a group of people i met a year earlier was in the north tower when that plane struck, trapping them there. Several of the parents of those killed allowed me to listen to the voicemails they left after the dust had settled (figuratively).

I knew they were up there at the time. I could not bring myself to go to the city till november, and i didn't see the wtc site till 2006. Was just too hard for me.

I'd like to say more but its all welling back up.

My girlfriend was also affected by the burning & smoke down wind in bayonne before the wind shifted & the smoke started blowing towards brooklyn. On her way home from early dismissed school she was overcome by the noxious odor & got sick but quickly recovered and found her way home safely. She says to this day she can still smell & taste that acrid nasty smoke.

- A

I was in the second grade at that time it happened. It was a typical day with learning and the usual stuff. However, a surge of parents immediately asked people or picked their kids up at around the time the towers hit and my grandma rushed me out of school too.

Since I lived in a pretty big apartment building with a full view of downtown Manhattan, I saw that that the skyline was completely dark of massive smoke. I might have not understood many things in second grade, but I knew something serious happened. My parents opened up the TV and it was the special report on all the channels explaining about the crash.

The lord blessed me that I didn't have any relatives or people I knew down there, but I knew that the World Trade Centers were very important to this city and to the world. After that day, I bought a whole bunch of dedication books about the towers and even dug up the picture I took when I was 6 standing all the way at the Observatory Section.

It was a day that nobody will ever forget and I give my condolences to the people who had relatives or friends of the dead on that day and especially the brave firemen and police officers that helped or attempted to help the trapped.

its on a Friday this year

He meant that 9-11-01 was on a Tuesday...

Anyways, I was in third grade when it happened. Some of the rooms faced towards Manhattan and you could see the buildings if you tried. I remember the teachers and staff saying that a plane crashed into the tower. I thought it was in the school yard since they wouldn't let us go outside. Everyone stayed in the classrooms and all you heard was the classroom phone going off. Parents were picking their children up from school and I was waiting for my mom to come get me. (She didn't) When I got home, I went into my mom's room and turned on the TV to see the news about the towers. The days following I asked myself, "What the hell happened?" It was hectic. Cell phone service went dead that day but still I didn't understand that one of the towers had that role.

8 years later, it's hard to imagine. It's hard to believe the day, the stupid conspiracies, (I don't believe any of them -Any way you put it, people died), or the fact that the Freedom Tower isn't here yet. I really do feel for the people who lost someone. Around this time back in 5th grade, a friend told me that her aunt went to work in the towers (after being told to take the day off - but didn't - and she never saw or heard about her since) It's sad for me too as I just watched New York and life change right before me. I never got a chance to go up to the towers and NYC won't ever be the same after 9-11.

I had family who were involved witht eh WTC. Thank goodness they weren't on the planes that crashed, but they were stuck all over the country for days. My cousin worked on the 34th floor of WTC 2 and she went into shock since then because bodies were dropping like flies all around her. After that day, moved to Long Island City and then to Connecticut in a desolate and quiet area.

I was in PS 119 in Bed-Sty,4th Grade, Had a decent view of the Manhattan Skyline. First plane hit, we thought it was a accident goes horribly wrong. We turned the radio on and they said the FAA declaired a hi-jacking. When the second plane hit. They began calling parents for pick up. Then when the first tower came down, we felt it. School broke out in a roit, I left. Hoped on a R32-R38 (C), it was PACKED!! Never seen a PACKED (C) in my life. I transfer for the (L) rode it to East 105th Street. The north tower came down and I felt in, IN CANARSIE. My mom came in and held me.

My birthday was about a month before and just the night before IT happened I was at the seaport having dinner when after that I passed through the towers and took the (E) home to 34th. I had been only once to windows of the world and it was AMAZING! The view was awesome! I woke up the next day by a loud rumble(like an airplane flying low) didn't really think much of it and turned on the TV and thought I was watching the most extreme action movie preview about NY until in the corner of the screen LIVE showed up. I immediately threw on some shorts and a tank and ran outside to the corner. I couldn't believe what was going on and then I saw the south tower get hit. I was calling my girl at that time just to make sure she was safe. She was fine with mom after I found them later in Rockefeller center. Later I saw more & more people running up 6th ave. Hanging off the mirrors of buses and riding on trucks to get out of manhattan. It was a sick day. The smell was just uuhhhh..... Then I find out many of the guys from Engine 54 Ladder 4 Batallion 9 Ladder 24 engine 26 and 20 as well as midtown south precinct were at the twins and some were lost. What made things worse was I was working on 5th avenue and many of the funerals were @ St. Patricks Cathedral. So what a month that was. Funerals were every day. I di not go down there until 9/11/02 I felt it was right only then. I remember riding my bike towards South ferry ever since I was a kid and always knew how close I was by seeing where the twins were. Now, They and everyone else who was lost down there are gone and taken from us but their memory will always be preserved in our hearts and live on, FOREVER!

Oh how I remember that day......

I was in school....nobody said ANYTHING to ANYBODY...I found out when I got home and turned on the TV....saw footage of the towers being hit.

And I was planning on visiting that place that December too

I was in Elementary school that day,4th Grade. School started at 8:35 that morning,it was election day. My classroom was on the 5th floor,there was a window on that floor where you can see the skyline of Manhattan and a big view of the WTC,by the time I got to the 5th Floor it was about 8:45,the first plane hit at 8:46 as I was walking on the 5th floor I pass the window and couldnt believe my eyes,I saw the whole thing happen! I remember running to my classroom and telling the teacher what I saw,she ran out of the room and looked out the window,she then notified the school about what we saw. I'll never forget that glimpse of what I saw from that window that morning,and most importantly,that horrific day.

I was attending a fire fighting course for my job at the Nassau County Fire Academy in Bethpage.

There was a group of us outside waiting for the class to start, when someone ran out saying a plane had crashed into the Trade Center.

Initially we all thought that it was a small plane, who could imagine it would be a jet liner.

We were all absolutely stunned to see a second plane slam into the second tower.

The class instructor, a moonlighting FDNY member, turned off the TV, stating classes were cancelled for the day.

He responded to the Trade Center in time to perish along with 342 of his Brothers.

God bless the innocent victims of that day, may they have eternal peace.

I was a 8 Year Old student who just started Fourth Grade at the now-defunct Children's Colony Prep School. As we were going through Science Class, my teacher told the whole class that the World Trade Center was under attack by airplanes and one of the towers had collapsed. Since we were not allowed to see the t.v. screens on that day at school, whe had no Idea what happened until most of us went home. I asked my mom about and she confirmed to me that it happened. I followed the news coverage briefly and then we just went to sleep. To my complete suprise, the next day, we were told by our principal to go to school. I went to school, and most of the students did not come anyway. The few of us who were there were depressed and barely talked with one another.

8 Years ago today, I was in school in Queens when my english teacher went frantic cause her son worked at the World Trade Center towers, she said how the planes hit the towers, she left the room and went to call her son. Hours later, we were sent home and I turned on the T.V in sheer disbelief. Then I went to speak with my neighbor & friend and it was something that kept us thinking for a long time, couldnt even play games or joke around...

I was in boot camp up in Chicago about two weeks untill pass and review and A school, we (the recruits) had no idea what had happend since we hear nothing of the outside world. I saw my RDCs watching something on tv in which at first we thought was a trailer for a noew movie coming out, again in boot camp, you have no interaction with the outside world. When I finally found out what was going on, i've never been so scared in my life. we all thought that we were going to be shipped out to war. I remember watching CNN where they had the USS enterprise and USS Roosevelt turning around to go fight. When the Pentagon got hit, That scared me the most since I live 15 miles away near Dulles. When I got home in october, I saw the blue tarp draped on the Pentagon and still couldn't believe what had happened. When it finally hit me that we were attacked. I was on a NE direct to NY, usuially the first glimpse of NY you see was the twin towers but they weren't there, nothing was there but a heavey haze. Ive never seen the skyline without the towers and thats when it hit me. :)

• 1 year later...

I was taking a training class that morning, and suddenly I heard from someone outside the room stated a plane crash into the WTC. They cancelled the training right there, and I went down to get some coffee thinking there was nothing wrong until I saw everyone glued to the TV set. I saw the second plane crash into the 2nd tower, and right there I called my brother he was at the doctors that day left a message, called my sister in California woke her up at her time told her to turn on her TV she was shocked, Called my mom she was at work left a message. I was very much conceren about a lot of people that I know that lived in the city.

I was 4 just started kindergarten and I left at 8:50 and went to get my sister and then Another earthquake feeling tower 2 hit then I don't remember than I remember I was on the Manhattan Bridge and I see tower 2 coming down I tell my mother it's a movie and I get tired of walking lol. them I'm home and as I walk in I turn on the tv tower 1 is collapsing.

I was on my way to the Learning Center to give a tutoring session for Spanish there on my college campus. As I entered one of the main buildings on campus and walked by two of the big TVs near the entrance I saw CNN and saw that one of the towers had been hit, as there was smoke and such all over. I basically continued to watch in disbelief and saw the whole thing unfold right there on TV. Of course my tutoring session was cancelled and many of the students in the Learning Center had either raced out or were racing back to their dorms to call their parents because we had a huge NYC student population at SUNY Plattsburgh. I made my way back to dorm in disgust and anger actually ready to go to war that day had I been called to do so.

I couldn't reach any of my relatives for days and finally I was able to get my mother on the phone as the phone lines to the city were overwhelmed. Our @sshole college didn't even cancel class or really speak of the topic until much later on so of course no one could really focus. :mad:

My aunt still get emotion to this very day when talking about it because she say the whole thing happen from her office building which was a skip and a hop away from the WTC.

I still remember finally coming down to the city and not even stopping to go home. I went with my luggage and went right to the site and the smell for blocks was like something that I'll never forget. I'll leave it there, but yeah, it is great to see the progress being made down there, but we must never forget those who perished.

I was a further witness of tragedy in 2004 when the attacks in Spain happened as well. I was in Italy at the time and it was a very crazy moment in Europe. I remember traveling to Milan and visiting the Duomo and there were national guards there with huge automatic guns stading in front of the cathedral. Italy was on high alert because it was said that Rome (the political capital) and Milan (the finanacial capital) esp. were targets along with our train system.

Archived