Last week of the PATH PA4

R33WF

I was on Path today and a engineer told me that the last PA5 is in testing and will enter later this week and replace the last PA4 in service. The PA4 only runs on the Newark line. Car # are 842 809 885 886 869 894 808 847 Also note if the need comes up for a spare train of PA4 there may be one more train running.

Update: Since some of the PA-5's are having techinal probelms (such as the seats are flammable, and other floor problems), some PA-5's might be OOS which means the PA-4's might be in service longer.

Please explain to me how fiberglass seats are flammable. It's not wood, even for wood to get on fire takes alot of work, especially if it's pressure treated.

Flammable seats (yeah ok). That's a good one.

The floor issue will be resolved soon enough and on property. There's already several PA-5s that had the old floors replaced already.

Yeah, it's a real good one.

Saw the train this morning while I was inbound to NYC. Haven't seen a new set of PA-5s go into service for a few weeks now so when it does (if it didn't already), that's when the days are numbered for that train of PA-4s.

this could be their last week in service but we may never known.

their was 2 sets of them.

Got one today. Missed a PA-5 (this was my second time riding the new cars since looking for them to ride for the first time months ago; I don't ride PATh often), but then figured this would probably be the last time I see any of the older cars. Forgot the thread was that this was the last week. Just happened to be accompanying my wife to Beth Israel Newark, where she's an intern, and she was saying bye to a supervisor who was leaving.

I also see on the PA-5's, that when they are out of service, the font sign reads "NO PAX" in white! cool!

I wonder what color the off-hour 33-HOB-JSQ is, since it is a combination of the blue and yellow line.

Would magenta be used for the remaining occasional route, the 33-WTC line that runs whenever the subways are shut down? (and would the remaining rgb color, deep blue, be used for JSQ-HOB?)

Got one today. Missed a PA-5 (this was my second time riding the new cars since looking for them to ride for the first time months ago; I don't ride PATh often), but then figured this would probably be the last time I see any of the older cars. Forgot the thread was that this was the last week. Just happened to be accompanying my wife to Beth Israel Newark, where she's an intern, and she was saying bye to a supervisor who was leaving.

I also see on the PA-5's, that when they are out of service, the font sign reads "NO PAX" in white! cool!

I wonder what color the off-hour 33-HOB-JSQ is, since it is a combination of the blue and yellow line.

Would magenta be used for the remaining occasional route, the 33-WTC line that runs whenever the subways are shut down? (and would the remaining rgb color, deep blue, be used for JSQ-HOB?)

As of today, 9/1/11, the last two solid 8 car PA-4 consists are still operating on the WTC-NWK line. PA-5's 5813 and 5206 are in service on the same line.

Interesting, when were you on, because i saw the set with the NO PAX too at JSQ. something about a fire extinguisher incident on the number 2 car of that set.

In addition, i have discovered at your own risk that you can view the speedometer and next station distance on the operator control panel by peeking through the cab door hinges. I clocked maximum speeds of 46 mph in the lower hudson tubes and 57 mph going westbound coming off of the drawbridge outside of JSQ. balancing speed for that section of track between harrison and JSQ seems to be 55 mph.

It would be Yellow/Blue.

For example towards 33rd Street, the display would be 33/HOB, and then towards Journal Square it would be JSQ/HOB.

(The white background washes out the bright yellow on the page so my apologies. Hopefully you get the point.)

Interesting, when were you on, because i saw the set with the NO PAX too at JSQ. something about a fire extinguisher incident on the number 2 car of that set.

I saw several trains displaying NO PAX sitting in the yard or layup tracks at JSQ. (Then I did see one moving from somewhere, too).

It would be Yellow/Blue.

For example towards 33rd Street, the display would be 33/HOB, and then towards Journal Square it would be JSQ/HOB.

Thanks. That did cross my mind as well. (Still wonder if the other possible routes would be assigned the other colors).

Also forgot to mention that I still hope DC Metro finally goes with RGB's like this on the next batch of cars. No need to spell out the route color anymore. They are now obviously much more available and affordable.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived