Tap Payment Method expanded to all Greenville Routes & Newark Airport

Pablo M 201

(Apologizes if this was posted before already.)

Picked up a flyer today while aboard a #6 bus about the Tap Payment program. It is now expanded to all Greenville routes which include the 6, 43, 80, 81, 87, 120, and Greenville 126 runs. It is also available at the Newark Liberty International Airport Rail Station for AirTrain Newark.

The key change is that now a person using their credit/debit card for fare payment, they must go back up front and tap again to exit so that they are charged the proper fare. Failure to do so, the person will be charged the full fare from the zone that they boarded all the way to the end of the line if other zones apply.

(IMHO, they should have a tap reader at the rear doors to make the de-boarding easier.)

Also, it is now available to not only MasterCard PayPass holders, but American Express ExpressPay, Discover Zip, and Visa payWave holders.

I used it several times before when it first came out for the one zone routes (6, 80, 87) and when PATH had it. It was quick and convenient when I didn't have cash or change to pay the fare so good to see that at least NJT is still going with it.

For more info, read here: http://www.njtransit.com/var/var_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=TapRideTo

Still sounds like a pain in the ass. NJT needs to install fareboxes on all routes except for the 300 series & 551. If they create a better fare system with an exact fare type ish they would do better.

ex. $5 for all routes with mcis and $2.50 for local routes. It would sound expensive if your traveling on a mci route within the same zone but it would work. Carrying this money is not safe and annoying. Right now I have $230 on me and even walking into a store is iffy. Then this way NJT could have a metrocard type to pay your fare in the farebox or you could still use money if you have exact fare. Driver does no asking where ppl are going or trying to figure out which zone ppl are going or trying to remember which zone ppl are getting off so they dont farebeat. The monthly pass system would still be here. Get rid of these zones its annnoying, and they would make more money from people buying a metrocard type and putting a amount of funds on the card between $5 & $100. You could even phase out the monthly pass and start a monthly metrocard type pass with an unlimited amount of rides in a monthly period.

If they want to make tap off work, there MUST be a reader at the rear doors. No other choice.

Is it still being accepted on PATH, the Lex line, and the handful of NYCT buses that had them?

What NJT should do is have a reader on the routes without fareboxes that way the driver doesn't need to carry that much money. MCI's don't have rear doors anyway, so everyone must tap off. Also would eliminate override losses. Or use one of those fareboxes that gives change as a credit slip toward another ride.

Still sounds like a pain in the ass. NJT needs to install fareboxes on all routes except for the 300 series & 551. If they create a better fare system with an exact fare type ish they would do better.

ex. $5 for all routes with mcis and $2.50 for local routes. It would sound expensive if your traveling on a mci route within the same zone but it would work. Carrying this money is not safe and annoying. Right now I have $230 on me and even walking into a store is iffy. Then this way NJT could have a metrocard type to pay your fare in the farebox or you could still use money if you have exact fare. Driver does no asking where ppl are going or trying to figure out which zone ppl are going or trying to remember which zone ppl are getting off so they dont farebeat. The monthly pass system would still be here. Get rid of these zones its annnoying, and they would make more money from people buying a metrocard type and putting a amount of funds on the card between $5 & $100. You could even phase out the monthly pass and start a monthly metrocard type pass with an unlimited amount of rides in a monthly period.

BUT that would slash fares too much for long distance lines right??? Are you sure NJT would do better with it??? I spoke to a guy who had fare ideas. That may kill profitability on certain routes due to distance.

If they want to make tap off work, there MUST be a reader at the rear doors. No other choice.

Is it still being accepted on PATH, the Lex line, and the handful of NYCT buses that had them?

What NJT should do is have a reader on the routes without fareboxes that way the driver doesn't need to carry that much money. MCI's don't have rear doors anyway, so everyone must tap off. Also would eliminate override losses. Or use one of those fareboxes that gives change as a credit slip toward another ride.

brilliant post!!!!!!!:tup:

BUT that would slash fares too much for long distance lines right??? Are you sure NJT would do better with it??? I spoke to a guy who had fare ideas. That may kill profitability on certain routes due to distance.

It can work if they want it to work. It would make njt cheaper to ride meaning more people will ride meaning more money coming in. On routes like the 300 series and 551you would still have to buy a ticket to ride those routes.

It can work if they want it to work. It would make njt cheaper to ride meaning more people will ride meaning more money coming in. On routes like the 300 series and 551you would still have to buy a ticket to ride those routes.

Well the structure of NJT's system is still incomplete even with the fares some ppl still will need to drive are you even sure about it. What about the 400 series

Imagine riding Atlantic City-Cape May or Newark-Toms River or New York-Warwick for $5. Way too low.

Before you people shoot someone down, I said it could work if NJT wants it to work. NJT wants people to take the bus, but alot of wont ride because of how expensive njt can get on a pay per ride basis.$2.80 x 5 days a week for a month for 12 months gets very expensive. Wth does people having to still drive have to do with how I think the fare system should be. NJT is too expensive point blank.

Before you people shoot someone down, I said it could work if NJT wants it to work. NJT wants people to take the bus, but alot of wont ride because of how expensive njt can get on a pay per ride basis.$2.80 x 5 days a week for a month for 12 months gets very expensive. Wth does people having to still drive have to do with how I think the fare system should be. NJT is too expensive point blank.

true you have a point but that price argument can get reasonable to boost ridership on routes that need it. However I usually get 10 trips or a monthly pass to keep costs down. I was referring to intrastate travellers whose travel patterns are based on GSP traffic flows between northern NJ and monmouth county. No I am not shooting down your idea I am just curious how can it work??? Especially since NJT specializes in long-distance type routes???

I am curious as there must be some way it can work but how???

Plus many current NJT riders already have cars they just simply choose not to drive them and use NJT instead doesn't that say something??

true you have a point but that price argument can get reasonable to boost ridership on routes that need it. However I usually get 10 trips or a monthly pass to keep costs down. I was referring to intrastate travellers whose travel patterns are based on GSP traffic flows between northern NJ and monmouth county. No I am not shooting down your idea I am just curious how can it work??? Especially since NJT specializes in long-distance type routes???

I am curious as there must be some way it can work but how???

Plus many current NJT riders already have cars they just simply choose not to drive them and use NJT instead doesn't that say something??

Those 10 trip tickets are a total waste of money. The only time I see those 10 trips effective is if your visiting. I never had anyone give me a 10 trip ticket. They either show a monthly, a normal OW/RT ticket, or pay cash. You only can get 5 days out of a 10 trip if you need em for a RT trip which is why someone would buy a 10 trip. Most of NJT riders have cars and most of the riders that dont have cars knows someone with a car. NJT needs to do something about the fare system. Its just way to expensive. The train I can understand, but the bus needs a new system. Or better yet they could just keep the current system and come up of a metrocard you put funds on. Ofcourse im going to come up with something like this but im sure sirjoka and pablo would agree with me. NJT is waiting to make an example out of a dead driver thats going to get killed over the stash of cash we have to carry. Its not safe and NJT should be ashamed of themselves having drivers carry all that damn money. You mean to tell me exact fare is good enough for local routes and not full service routes? Come on. Im sick and tired of carrying all that money im sick of it. The job is great but money all out in the open like that brings too much unwanted attention. Its easy for you people to say this and that cant work, its easy to say that when you aint working on the inside. On the outside you dont see or feel what I(We) feel.

I usually advocate for lower fares, but this would make the fare too low for a lot of trips. Somebody would be able to ride the 319 from the PABT to Atlantic City.

I think they could make it a little simpler by cutting down on the number of zones. $1.50 for a zone of travel sounds cheap, but the zone is pretty small. I think Zones 1 and 2 should be consolidated to one zone for $2 (of course, with a monthly discount).

Don't forget that if ridership goes up, you'll probably have to add buses, which costs money. For example, the fare from Lakewood to the PABT on the 137 is $17.50. In order to get back the money, ridership would have to go up 3.5 times (17.50/5) and service levels would have to remain the same.

If somebody's riding every day, they would be getting the monthly pass, though. The fares overall should be cheaper, but I think $5 for all MCI routes is going overboard.

I usually advocate for lower fares, but this would make the fare too low for a lot of trips. Somebody would be able to ride the 319 from the PABT to Atlantic City.

I think they could make it a little simpler by cutting down on the number of zones. $1.50 for a zone of travel sounds cheap, but the zone is pretty small. I think Zones 1 and 2 should be consolidated to one zone for $2 (of course, with a monthly discount).

Don't forget that if ridership goes up, you'll probably have to add buses, which costs money. For example, the fare from Lakewood to the PABT on the 137 is $17.50. In order to get back the money, ridership would have to go up 3.5 times (17.50/5) and service levels would have to remain the same.

If somebody's riding every day, they would be getting the monthly pass, though. The fares overall should be cheaper, but I think $5 for all MCI routes is going overboard.

he is right the 137 is already a nightmare if ridership goes up 3.5 times then you would have ppl on top of each other and 137s that are so bad they make 126 look empty. That is overkill. The ppl just need to know that their rail pass works on buses thats all. Or offer an incentive to nott pay with cash. Or reservation ticket number system similar to megabus on all the long distance lines

he is right the 137 is already a nightmare if ridership goes up 3.5 times then you would have ppl on top of each other and 137s that are so bad they make 126 look empty. That is overkill. The ppl just need to know that their rail pass works on buses thats all. Or offer an incentive to nott pay with cash. Or reservation ticket number system similar to megabus on all the long distance lines

Well, I wouldn't mind being crushloaded into a bus if it meant paying less than a third of the price, but yeah a slight discount should be applied, but nothing extreme.

Well, I wouldn't mind being crushloaded into a bus if it meant paying less than a third of the price, but yeah a slight discount should be applied, but nothing extreme.

words of one who HAS NOT USED 137!!!!!!!!!!! YOU have no idea how bad it is now once you see it's line in PABT now you will take back those words!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just imaging that x3= HELL AT 70 MPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you read what I said the 300 series and 551 would not apply to the base fare. The 319 would have to stay $39 because of Greyhound & the same with the 551. The 300 series are speical routes. I understand there would be routes where it couldnt work, however as I said if NJT wanted it to work they would come up with something. Routes like the 197/198 67/130/132/136/137/139 a base fare wouldnt work. But if they were to keep the current fare system and come up with a metrocard to put funds on so it can eliminate drivers carrying money period. And phase out that paper monthly pass with a monthly unlimited metrocard and have a printed zone number on the back if you ride the train also.

But if they were to keep the current fare system and come up with a metrocard to put funds on so it can eliminate drivers carrying money period. And phase out that paper monthly pass with a monthly unlimited metrocard and have a printed zone number on the back if you ride the train also.

Totally agreed. Stored-value, either magnetic or RFID is what NJT needs, like every single agency with a complex fare system. Cash would still be accepted, but exact change only. Accept $5 bills via machine.

What's wrong with the paper monthly pass?

The MTA really should cross honor the LIRR/MNRR passes on the subway/bus. I'm tired of paying $104 in addition to my $254 monthly. Even if that 254 was $300 it would still save.

It can easily be copied. Someone tried to get on my bus one day with one.. When I looked at it It looked strange and I asked him if I could see it and come to find out he copied a front and a back and glued the parts together. I told him he had to pay the fare or get off. He paid the fare. When he got off the bus he simply said NJT is just too expensive on a pay per ride basis and that he didnt make enough money to buy a monthly card. Basically it look like he copied someone elses card using a color copy machine. A monthly metrocard type with a zone printed on the back if you ride the train will do and would eliminate the need of the driver having to look at every card. A farebox that can accept 1s 5s and coins and a card swiper.

If you read what I said the 300 series and 551 would not apply to the base fare. The 319 would have to stay $39 because of Greyhound & the same with the 551. The 300 series are speical routes. I understand there would be routes where it couldnt work, however as I said if NJT wanted it to work they would come up with something. Routes like the 197/198 67/130/132/136/137/139 a base fare wouldnt work. But if they were to keep the current fare system and come up with a metrocard to put funds on so it can eliminate drivers carrying money period. And phase out that paper monthly pass with a monthly unlimited metrocard and have a printed zone number on the back if you ride the train also.

now you are making sense thanks for clearing it up. very brilliant ok did you tell NJT about it?? I have a friend with similar fare ideas

Totally agreed. Stored-value, either magnetic or RFID is what NJT needs, like every single agency with a complex fare system. Cash would still be accepted, but exact change only. Accept $5 bills via machine.

The MTA really should cross honor the LIRR/MNRR passes on the subway/bus. I'm tired of paying $104 in addition to my $254 monthly. Even if that 254 was $300 it would still save.

true but then most of LIB's new ridership would have been LIRR ppl which means they would have been running buses for free. I think NYC should create a cross honor subsidy to MTA that would pay for the cross honoring of LIRR MNRR passes on buses and subways

Archived