1999 Orion V #6125 Is Very Unusual

SIR North Shore

I hopped on #6125 on a crowded S46 bus on Monday, and I instantly noticed something was different. It wasn't the brand new windows or semi-cloth/semi-hard seating, but the fact that all yellow "Stop Request" strips were removed and it had one long string stretching along the bus like the old GBL TMCs.

It really caught me off guard, so I don't have any pics of it but it's really a sight to see!

I hopped on #6125 on a crowded S46 bus on Monday, and I instantly noticed something was different. It wasn't the brand new windows or semi-cloth/semi-hard seating, but the fact that all yellow "Stop Request" strips were removed and it had one long string stretching along the bus like the old GBL TMCs.

It really caught me off guard, so I don't have any pics of it but it's really a sight to see!

This actually happens a lot when the strip wears out. The pull cord lasts a lot longer.

Oh ok, that makes sense then as I have noticed that the yellow strips do stop working every now and then. The thing that caught me though is the fact that it's probably the only NYCT bus that's like this.

I was on an M1 about a year ago out of Mother Clara Hale, and it had a pull cord too. So I would say there are about 5-6 of them running around.

Wow the old pull strings. I can't believe they might make a comeback.

Old? Comeback? It was the other way around on The Bee-Line System. We had the tape on the '89 Flxible Metro-Bs and '78 GMC RTSs, but when the Orion Vs came in in '94-'96 they had the pull strings. Back then I was just getting into transit, I new nothing about the MTA buses.

• 2 months later...

Well i don't like the pull the cord thing because people can pull it hard and some people might cut the cord. The (MTA) should put buttons instead of cords. There is other transportation on buses form different states and city that might have the cord to pull for STOP REQUESTED. I have seen the pull the cord thing. There is buses from Los Angeles that have the cord to pull but some might have the strip thing and I have seen them also on other transit buses.

Well i don't like the pull the cord thing because people can pull it hard and some people might cut the cord. The (MTA) should put buttons instead of cords. There is other transportation on buses form different states and city that might have the cord to pull for STOP REQUESTED. I have seen the pull the cord thing. There is buses from Los Angeles that have the cord to pull but some might have the strip thing and I have seen them also on other transit buses.

They did... on the Orion VIIs at least, there are buttons and push tape... on most buses that are not ex-PBL, there is at least push tape.

There's now two CAS O5s with the pull cords, #6125 and now #6176.

And there's also two other O5s (#6046 and #6177) that have had the engine/transmission/muffler/whatever replaced with new ones. Both #6046 and #6177 sound exactly the same with a higher pitched sound that is completely different from any other 1999 Orion V on SI.

thats good that 6125 has the cord. the cord lasts longer :(

The cord may last longer but the problem is people can easily pull the cord hard and some person might cut the cord. The (MTA) has a bad idea to put the cord on buses. The (MTA) needs to put buttons instead of cords if the (MTA) is going to replace the strip tape.

The cord may last longer but the problem is people can easily pull the cord hard and some person might cut the cord. The (MTA) has a bad idea to put the cord on buses. The (MTA) needs to put buttons instead of cords if the (MTA) is going to replace the strip tape.
The cord is much better, as I said kids have too much fun with the stop request button. Nothing is more annoying than having to stop constantly for an avoidable reason. I think cords are easier to fix when broke too. I remember having many D60HFs with the stop request button stuck so it made every stop along the route, never happened on a cord for me...

There's now two CAS O5s with the pull cords, #6125 and now #6176.

And there's also two other O5s (#6046 and #6177) that have had the engine/transmission/muffler/whatever replaced with new ones. Both #6046 and #6177 sound exactly the same with a higher pitched sound that is completely different from any other 1999 Orion V on SI.

Looks like im missing out on alot of good SI stuff. I must fan there again soon.

The (MTA) has a bad idea to put the cords on buses for a reason because people can easliy pull the cord hard and a person might cut the cord. what next's? the (MTA) will repainted the buses into different colors that would be crazy and I hope (MTA) dosen't to that. I hope the (MTA) doen't strat decorate the buses then that be even more bad idea like the (MTA) is already doing.

The (MTA) has a bad idea to put the cords on buses for a reason because people can easliy pull the cord hard and a person might cut the cord. what next's? the (MTA) will repainted the buses into different colors that would be crazy and I hope (MTA) dosen't to that. I hope the (MTA) doen't strat decorate the buses then that be even more bad idea like the (MTA) is already doing.
Why would the MTA paint buses in any other color than white? They too lazy and cheap to paint buses with different colors, let alone get more colors of paint, on top of that it's wasting money...Though a red Orion VII CNG would be teh sexx...

I dont think the (MTA) should repalce the tape strip with cords,I think the (MTA) should replace it with buttons like this image http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/corporate/projectsandschemes/communityandeducation/safetyandcitizenship/images/photo/bus-3-3.jpg

It would be kinda hard to retrofit older buses with that. You'd need to gut the interior (or at least the poles). That's why the newer ones have them already installed.

Archived