Holy crap there was an earthquake!!!!!!

R68 Subway Car

Guest lance25

According to various sources, the earhquake was centered near Richmond, VA and was felt as far north as Toronto, as far south as North Carolina and as far west as Detroit. The Pentagon was evacuated, but has cleared for reentry.

Didnt feel anything....

A rare earthquake rattled parts of New Jersey and New York several minutes ago, causing buildings to sway in cities, towns, streets and beaches across the region.

The earthquake was also felt in Virginia and Washington, D.C., according to television news reports.

There were no immediate reports of any injuries or structural damage, but the quake rattled nerves.

Newark City Hall was evacuated shortly before 2 p.m., as the building was shaking.

A Newark spokeswoman said her entire desk was shaking and her doors were moving for several minutes.

The U.S. Geological Survey is reporting that a magnitude 5.9 earthquake was centered in central Virginia, and the Associated Press is reporting the quake was felt in Washington, New York City and North Carolina.

In South Brunswick, police Sgt. James Ryan said the shaking brought staff out of their offices and immediately jammed the township’s emergency lines.

"The 911 line is flooding with calls right now," Ryan said at 2 p.m. "People want to know what happened. They want to know if there was an explosion."

In New York City, City Hall and the federal courthouse was evacuated.

The quake was felt in the offices of Alcatel-Lucent in Murray Hill, Union County.

Liza Ottesen, who works as a manager there, said her whole desk area started "swaying."

"Everything started to sway very slightly, gently back and forth. It was very odd; I'm in the middle of a large building and nothing sways back and forth," she said. "I stood up and looked around to see if anyone else had noticed the same thing, and everybody was doing what I was doing."

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2011/08/earthquake_rocks_new_jersey_an.html

I know what an earthquake feels like, felt the one in Haiti on January 2010 when I was at the Dominican Republic but today's earthquake I did not felt. I was walking home and when I flipped the iTouch's wifi to on, I get a push notification from the AP about the 5.8 earthquake magnitude on the northeast.

I was working in the Turner Towers in Prospect Heights, the building swayed badly for few seconds. I thought at first I was getting dizzy and I was about to throw up but then the main doctor came running out screaming in his thick Haitian accent, "Earfquake! Earfquake!!" By then it was over. Felt a light aftershock after that alot of people didn't feel.

Archived