5.9 magnitude earthquake strikes Virginia, shaking felt in New York; White House, Pentagon evacuated

Harry

My point was that for those of us who had limited access to a tv, if the news coverage was overkill as you and Shortline claimed it was, probably since you were at home, we appreciated it because it clarified what in the hell was going on at the time. You were at home relaxing or whatever and meanwhile I'm in Midtown and am hearing nothing but sirens and seeing people standing around everywhere looking panicked. Believe me, overkill or not, if you were in that situation you would've appreciated the coverage and that was my point.

(part in bold is) Not entirely true..... I can't make a judgment (or downplay, which is what now you're doing w/ this post) any news coverage the quake might have gotten, if I didn't see most (or worse, any) of it.....

....as far as the appreciation aspect of it.... you keep reverting back to making the point about there simply BEING coverage, period.... Again & again, not what I'm disputing.... there's a difference in the notion of 'this really aint deserve any type of coverage' & 'this is getting too much coverage'....

Now if there was no coverage, we'd be on the same dam boat....

(part in bold)Not entirely true.....

I can't make a judgment (or downplay, which is what now you're doing w/ this post) any news coverage the quake might have gotten, if I didn't see most (or worse, any) of it.....

....and this bit about appreciation & what not.... you keep reverting back to making the point about there simply BEING coverage, period (as opposed to none).... Again & again, not what I'm disputing.... there's a difference in the notion of 'this really aint deserve any type of coverage' & 'this is getting too much coverage'....

Now if there was no coverage, we'd be on the same dam boat....

The point isn't about whether or not there was coverage... The point was that if the coverage was indeed overkill as you and Shortline claim, then for those of us with limited access to a tv, the overkill was a good thing because it gave us multiple opportunities to find out what was going on and get updates.

Serious business up in here....

waits for someone to post one of those internet = serious business gifs/jpgs....

The point isn't about whether or not there was coverage...

The point was that if the coverage was indeed overkill as you and Shortline claim, then for those of us with limited access to a tv, the overkill was a good thing because it gave us multiple opportunities to find out what was going on and get updates.

Nah, that's how you're summarizing this back & forth exchange... two different things.

My stance/point from the jump was about the excessive coverage of the earthquake.... You disagreed with THAT stance, and then things went on from there.....

Nah, that's how you're summarizing this back & forth exchange... two different things.

My stance/point from the jump was about the excessive coverage of the earthquake....

Right and my point was that excessive or not, I appreciated it because I had no clue what was going on. If I were in your shoes being at home and all with full access to the tv networks I would probably agree that it was overkill. I actually had no access to regular tv (just CNN) so I was glad to get whatever info I could get.

Right and my point was that excessive or not, I appreciated it because I had no clue what was going on. If I were in your shoes being at home and all with full access to the tv networks I would probably agree that it was overkill.

I actually had no access to regular tv (just CNN) so I was glad to get whatever info I could get.

....and that very last statement deals with gettin ANY coverage.

Unless you have something else to add, I'm through with this particular circular argument.

Hey while i agree with (B35) on the tv coverage overkill(I was not home between 4-7pm as i went to dentist office and watched the 'rest of the coverage' there)there 1 thing we can all agree on as we put this topic to 'bed' and now worry on Irene.

No one was killed or seriously hurt in NYC or metro area and this was not either a terrorist attack/bomb or a more serious quake. Only negative is though is that some people will now go nuts (pardson phrase)and state that NY and Eastern US is in 'danger of a major earthquake in next 15-20 years or so.' That will be the long term impact from Tuesday's quake.

I didn't feel it.:eek: when the news reported that the earthquake happened at 1:51 PM, I was heading back home from a doctor's appointment. At that time I was around pelham bay parkway and WPR. I was in a car that time so I guess that why I didn't feel it.:confused:

Hey while i agree with (B35) on the tv coverage overkill(I was not home between 4-7pm as i went to dentist office and watched the 'rest of the coverage' there)there 1 thing we can all agree on as we put this topic to 'bed' and now worry on Irene.

No one was killed or seriously hurt in NYC or metro area and this was not either a terrorist attack/bomb or a more serious quake. Only negative is though is that some people will now go nuts (pardson phrase)and state that NY and Eastern US is in 'danger of a major earthquake in next 15-20 years or so.' That will be the long term impact from Tuesday's quake.

New York is already decades overdue for an earthquake. A fault lies right under the city.

I'm not expect an earthquake in East coast due its nature isn't a seismic zone. I live in Chile, a very seismic zone, also I lived the last year , in February 27, one of the worst earthquake disaster in the world, an 8.8 Richter Magnitude earthquake.

The big problem isn't the earthquake (unless a building collapse in the moment), the big problem is after earthquake when main services (communications, power network, gas, water) aren't working, and the people becoming to exasperate. Then, losing the calm may be transform in collective psychosis. (and the consequences were known not only Chile, in Haiti too; looting and decreeing curfews on conflictive zones)

After a building is evacuated, do not stay in building area due risks of possible collapse, specially if the earthquake magnitude is 7.0 Richter or more

In my case, 27F was my 1st earthquake who I lived, in the same day and tomorrow I'm very nervous but after one week I felt quieter than first days after the disaster.

God bless America. Don't lose your control in these situations.

Greetings from Chile.

Archived