PATH: Some PA-4 Action & PA-1/3 Scrap Move (with NABI 5880)

Since the PA-4's will be permanetly OOS after Friday, I got some shots. Note that All of the shots except one of them (not posted here) were taken Out of the system.

This also includes at PATH Scrap Move, 3 cars with the LAST PA-1 on PATH property & 1 PA-3 work car & 1 PA-3 passenger car (708) & includes NABI #5880.

note that if you like to see all 48 photos I took that day, please click here. Thank you.

Here's the scrap move first:

082211-02.jpg

082211-05.jpg

and NABI 5880 second:

082211-26.jpg

082211-27.jpg

Now for the real action:

082211-01.jpg

082211-08.jpg

082211-09.jpg

082211-16.jpg

082211-18.jpg

082211-22.jpg

082211-34.jpg

082211-37.jpg

082211-45.jpg

Some videos:

Since I couldn't fit this in the title, the next post of mine will include shots from August 20, 2011 (the Nostalgia Bus/train trip) and from August 21, 2011 (weekend G.O.'s)

Hope you enjoyed! :P

As much as I like the PA-5, (Favor them over R160s), I'm going to miss the PA-4s. R.I.P. RFW on PATH. My friend will be happy though, she rides path everyday and always magically ends up on the only PA-4 set running around. She rarely gets a PA-5 (which is VERY hard to believe but I believe it.), she's been wish they were retired long ago. Things are so different from a non-railfan pov.

:tup::tup:

That NJT RTS had the old five-spoke cast iron rims rather than the Alcoas they fit to every bus in NJ. It looks nice, though that center should be a different color...

Cool pics and vids!

Hey, new pics! :cool:

As much as I like the PA-5, (Favor them over R160s), I'm going to miss the PA-4s. R.I.P. RFW on PATH. My friend will be happy though, she rides path everyday and always magically ends up on the only PA-4 set running around. She rarely gets a PA-5 (which is VERY hard to believe but I believe it.), she's been wish they were retired long ago. Things are so different from a non-railfan pov.

Thanks! Unfortanuetly since my web is having connectivity issues, I cannot post new photos yet ;).

That NJT RTS had the old five-spoke cast iron rims rather than the Alcoas they fit to every bus in NJ. It looks nice, though that center should be a different color...

It's an Academy operated bus. They like to switch out the Alcoas rims and put steel rims on quite a few of their buses that they receive from NJT (especially their units at Hoboken).

The blue is the center just represents their color.

Very nice photos 4P! There's still a few PA-1s and 3s work cars laying around elsewhere in Jersey City and Harrison. :cool:

PA-4's are getting retired as well, correct? If the Port Authority is retiring them that's a big waste. Thats like if the MTA retiring the R62's.

There's two main reasons why the PA-4s are going:

1.) The PA-4s are 24-25 years old, and were not rehabbed.

2.) The entire PATH system is going CBTC and they need a fleet to operate that kind of system.

Sucks to see them all go because I grew up with the PA 1-4 fleets, but it is what it is.

It's an Academy operated bus. They like to switch out the Alcoas rims and put steel rims on quite a few of their buses that they receive from NJT (especially their units at Hoboken).

The blue is the center just represents their color.

Very nice photos 4P! There's still a few PA-1s and 3s work cars laying around elsewhere in Jersey City and Harrison. :cool:

PA-4's are getting retired as well, correct? If the Port Authority is retiring them that's a big waste. Thats like if the MTA retiring the R62's.
There's two main reasons why the PA-4s are going:

1.) The PA-4s are 24-25 years old, and were not rehabbed.

2.) The entire PATH system is going CBTC and they need a fleet to operate that kind of system.

Sucks to see them all go because I grew up with the PA 1-4 fleets, but it is what it is.

Damn, good stuff there lil dude.
Ohz, you went to NJ! Surprised.

Thanks everybody! I know its sad with the PA-4's, I've only had experience with PATH for less than a week and I will really miss these cars when they go OOS and get converted into work cars (I don't think any are being scrapped).

Thanks everybody! I know its sad with the PA-4's, I've only had experience with PATH for less than a week and I will really miss these cars when they go OOS and get converted into work cars (I don't think any are being scrapped).

I only got the number of around 4 PA4 cars and 1 PA1 car... and the PA4s may be scrapped, since they aren't rehabbed at all, and it is a slightly reasonable time to retire them (Seoul Metro retires their cars at around 25 years of age; the PA4s are 24 years old.).

Nice catches! Sad to see the PA-4s go.

Wowz! so many likes! :) Thanks.

I only got the number of around 4 PA4 cars and 1 PA1 car... and the PA4s may be scrapped, since they aren't rehabbed at all, and it is a slightly reasonable time to retire them (Seoul Metro retires their cars at around 25 years of age; the PA4s are 24 years old.).

some PA-4's are getting scrapped; the other scrap move that I witnessed (last thursday) had a PA-4 in it.

btw, I know this is off-topic but the R68/A's are retiring early due to the fact that they were not SMS'ed. I know the (MTA) doesn't want 75-footers anymore and the reason they aren't retired already is because the (MTA) has no choice but to run them since they have no other fleet.

The R68/A's will probably stay for max 35 years due to the (MTA) having fleet shortage (the R32/42 would have been gone already if there was no fleet shortage), so there's no need to be out catching them. just an FYI :D.

btw, I know this is off-topic but the R68/A's are retiring early due to the fact that they were not SMS'ed. I know the (MTA) doesn't want 75-footers anymore and the reason they aren't retired already is because the (MTA) has no choice but to run them since they have no other fleet.

The R68/A's will probably stay for max 35 years due to the (MTA) having fleet shortage (the R32/42 would have been gone already if there was no fleet shortage), so there's no need to be out catching them. just an FYI ;).

All that is not entirely true.

Wowz! so many likes! ;) Thanks.

some PA-4's are getting scrapped; the other scrap move that I witnessed (last thursday) had a PA-4 in it.

The R68/A's will probably stay for max 35 years due to the (MTA) having fleet shortage (the R32/42 would have been gone already if there was no fleet shortage), so there's no need to be out catching them. just an FYI ;).

"Facepalm" ... please tell me your joking..! Whoever told you this is 10000% wrong!

• 2 months later...

Archived