Hurricane Irene

Abba

I'm trying to make sure all the reasons I'd need to travel anywhere are done before this. I'm not expecting this to be a total disaster as during hurricane season we're expected to get hurricanes. I just don't want to have myself needing something and needing to rush out immediately to go get it in torrential downpours.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An off topic question guys. Why did the National Hurricane Center/Weathercasters chose the name "Irene' for this storm?

To me the name is not so important but how many times it been used is.

There was also a smaller cat. 1 storm named also 'Irene' in i think 1998-'99, that hit Fla.

I thought any Cat.1 and higher storms are 'retired' once used and thus why i asked?

An off topic question guys. Why did the National Hurricane Center/Weathercasters chose the name "Irene' for this storm?

To me the name is not so important but how many times it been used is.

There was also a smaller cat. 1 storm named also 'Irene' in i think 1998-'99, that hit Fla.

I thought any Cat.1 and higher storms are 'retired' once used and thus why i asked?

Typically storm name that do the most damage gets retired (Katrina) For example.Heres the latest on her courtesy of NOAA.gov.I recomend all of you to track this storm on this site,because "Mr.G aint gonna help ya!!!;)

1314284043.gif

11:00 AM EDT Thu Aug 25

Max sustained: 115 mph

Moving: NNW at 13 mph

Min pressure: 951 mb

She wobbled a bit in the past few hours from Moving NW to NNW.Todays cold front would have been key to kicking her to the curb if she was any closer to the north.

Hurricane Irene just shifted directions. It's now going to hit Boston along with Long Island, and everything else in between. In fact I made a joke with the hurricane's destination.

Q: Why did Hurricane Irene decide to attack Boston instead of NYC?

A: Because Hurricane Irene is a Yankees fan. ;)

thanks man because you said that yesterday it changed again now its going too hit nyc and nj head on cat 2 thanks for that little joke smh

Besides the NJ shore and LI, looks like NYC's coastal neighborhoods may have to possible 'evecuate.' Mayor Bloomberg hoping to avoid the disater from last dec. blizzard state today 8/25/11 in his daily press conference that residents living in places like Coney Island may have to leave by late friday.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2011/08/25/2011-08-25_hurricane_irene_set_to_hit_new_york_this_weekend_city_preparing_for_the_worst_sa.html

Many 'big events' could be cancelled due to Irene. In DC a spokesperson denied a rumor that the opening cermony for the new Martin Luther King Mounment might be cancelled due to the storm.

While closer to home in NYC, no word on whether a Dave Matthews concert at Governor's Island could also be cancelled. Not to mention ton of MLB games as well. So if Irene does hit the region many we talking mother of subway and rail disruptions just to name a few worst cases.

Not to be a smart as$, but with no confirmed cancellations and one denial, you post that lots of things could be cancelled?

;) Not sure, I'd wait for them to be cancelled before we say anything...

Just the news media being the news media again lol. Seriously it was mentioned on the news especially the MLK Momument which was a huge event planned for years. People were coming from all over America and beyond to DC for that and was mentioned on the national cable news channels.

In other words i guess it was mentioned since those anchors stated they got 'tons of phone calls from viewers' on the status of the event. That why.I do agree MHV they could wait until it's any offical.

FYI. What is offical is that the Phillies/Marlins game in Philly for Sunday 8/28/11 has already been cancelled.

Jay Walder's comments at the press conference:

-Arrangements to bring in extra personnel, relocating equipment, securing equipment, stocking supplies

-If projections are true, suspend all services for some time

-MTA will help with any evacuations before shutdown

-May take time to restore service due to relocation of equipment

Press questions:

-Cannot guarantee service > 39MPH sustained winds

-8 hours to shut down system

-Hamptons special trains tomorrow are CANCELLED

-Sometime (probably late afternoon) on Saturday, transit will NOT be usable to evacuate.

-Many yards are in low-lying areas

-Use tunnels to store trains

-Early shutdown, quick restoration

-Potential impact on Monday rush hour

-This type of system shutdown has never happened before.

-AAR capacity is not enough for all incapacitated passengers on Sat.

You would think they would use MTA buses to transport evacuees if needed.

One thinks so, given that there are programs for evacuation shelter.

The web sites for NYC and Suffolk County Transit are currently down.

Just the news media being the news media again lol. Seriously it was mentioned on the news especially the MLK Momument which was a huge event planned for years. People were coming from all over America and beyond to DC for that and was mentioned on the national cable news channels.

In other words i guess it was mentioned since those anchors stated they got 'tons of phone calls from viewers' on the status of the event. That why.I do agree MHV they could wait until it's any offical.

FYI. What is offical is that the Phillies/Marlins game in Philly for Sunday 8/28/11 has already been cancelled.

I was told by my tour guide in Washington that 250,000 people planned to come to this dedication ceremony. Unfortunately, it appears that this stupid hurricane will force the cancellation of this event. ;) :mad:

Is NJT curtailing Cape May county routes now, providing extra service, or just running normal service until the evacuation deadline?

Everything is still normal. But 2m thats most likely going to change ill know more when I head in 2m. Everyone must be out of Cape May by 8AM 2m except for emergency officals.

Everything is still normal. But 2m thats most likely going to change ill know more when I head in 2m. Everyone must be out of Cape May by 8AM 2m except for emergency officals.

Southern Del/the Delmarva coast of Maryland, including Ocean City, Md. has joined the South NJ coast in ordering everyone out of those coastal town by Friday Night.

I am sure the store owners at bars and other east coast beaches are crying tonight and cursing at Irene for losing tens of millions of dollars or more in profits. :cry:She basically has ruined and caused the 'premature' end of the summer holiday season which would normally ends next weekend.

Update

Good news, it looks like irene will hit the North Carolina cost witch mean nyc will get hit with a Cat 1 storm witch means less wind but more rain, but still be ready if anything changes.

bad news the North Carolinas will get hit irene cat 2, stay safe to my Carolina members.

Update

Good news, it looks like irene will hit the North Carolina cost witch mean nyc will get hit with a Cat 1 storm witch means less wind but more rain, but still be ready if anything changes.

bad news the North Carolinas will get hit irene cat 2, stay safe to my Carolina members.

Still even a Cat 1 Hurricane is going to knock down a lot of trees

75-95mph winds isn't something to take lightly.

Archived