Hurricane Irene

Abba

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hurricane Irene landed its first ugly blows in the mid-Atlantic Saturday, killing five people within hours after reaching land and wreaking havoc along the East Coast.

The 500-mile-wide storm pounded the Outer Banks of North Carolina with reported gusts of 115 mph, even as the hurricane weakened slightly on its ruinous northward path.

The deadly storm — which could inflict between $5 billion and $10 billion in damage — knocked out power to 800,000 people, forced the evacuation of 2.3 million others, and canceled more than 9,000 weekend flights

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/2011/08/27/2011-08-27_hurricane_irene_claims_first_victim_north_carolina_man_killed_by_tree_snapped_of.html#ixzz1WHQMutnH

Man I Like who the media like to play wolf. Just to get rating, but it could have been alot worse it was a cat 2 or 3.

I would have loved to see one of these overpaid weather forecasters live on

TV get plunked on the head with a flying sheet of plywood...oh well maybe

next time.:P

Man I Like who the media like to play wolf. Just to get rating, but it could have been alot worse it was a cat 2 or 3.

MTA regional bus lets wait until the end of today (sunday) before you bash the media. It looks like NYC boros was 'spared' but NJ shore and even Maryland/Del/Pa. coast was buried in heavy flooding.

Yea I guess your right.

I said that bro(MTA Regional Bus) because if you remember sadly to 2005 right after Katrina hit New Orleans it looked like everyone was safe. Then sadly the nightmare events of the post storm flooding that killed at least 1,000-plus people occured.

With that said, let wait until tonight before we can say if the Mayor and the media overhyped this. IMO it looks like we in the metro area got 'lucky' and Irene faded. If this was a cat. 3 or higher storm i think we talking more people dying than even in NO after Katrina.

Holy crap what a stat right there. :eek:

Another stat. Irene is already the 2nd most expensive hurricane in US history and could depending on her damage in New England pass Katrina for #1 of all time in American History.

Early damages from i think CNBC claim so far just in US mainland (not counting Puerto Rico & Virgin Islands)at $10 Billion.

Another stat. Irene is already the 2nd most expensive hurricane in US history and could depending on her damage in New England pass Katrina for #1 of all time in American History.

Early damages from i think CNBC claim so far just in US mainland (not counting Puerto Rico & Virgin Islands)at $10 Billion.

They'll most likely retire the name, won't they?

Archived