Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

"New" Meadowlands Stadium is now renamed to "Met Life" Stadium named after the insurance company

Shortline Bus

Jet and Giant fans looks like the 'new' Meadowlands Stadium aka "new' Giants Stadium will have a new name. Here story below.

New Meadowlands Stadium to become MetLife Stadium

By MARK DECAMBRE NY Post

August 19, 2011

'Snoopy has officially landed at New Meadowlands Stadium, The Post has learned.

Insurance giant MetLife has inked a definitive agreement to purchase naming rights to the home of the NFL Giants and Jets and the planned site of the Super Bowl in 2014, sources said.

The one-year old, $1.6 billion bowl will be called MetLife Stadium.

The deal, which could range as high as $20 million year for 20 years, could be announced as early as next week in midtown Manhattan, with reps from MetLife and both teams and a number of star players in attendance, sources told The Post.

Although exact details of the deal could not be learned, reports by SportsBusiness Journal in June, when the talks had begun in earnest, had estimated the value of the deal at $17 million or $18 million a year.

Representatives from MetLife, and the owners of the two football teams declined comment on the deal.

MetLife bought one of four smaller rights deals, called cornerstone partnerships, three years ago for $7 million a year.

That deal was scheduled to run until 2014 -- but will end upon the anticipated announcement of the insurance company’s upgrade to a full stadium naming rights deal.

A naming rights deal would grant the insurance giant, which features the iconic Peanuts character Snoopy, heightened visibility on the field with two Big Apple NFL teams.

Sources said that MetLife and both teams have been trying to hash out a deal since last year but a volatile market has held up talks.

Few other corporations have struck major naming rights deals locally since turmoil in the markets took hold in 2008, besides British bank Barclays Capital, which boasts naming rights for the to-be-built Barclays Center in Brooklyn."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/business/metlife_inks_deal_with_meadowlands_PG2HRPjVKrrtaSLaklGdEN#ixzz1W2sInzxV

Metlife should of waited 5-10 years to buy these naming rights. As long as this stadium is new it will always be known as New Meadowlands Stadium.

While i admit i not a fan of naming rights, at least Met Life is an major international insurance company based in the NY/NJ metro area.

It beats the new meadowlands stadium with a cheesy name like Coke-Cola Field, Disney Field at the Meadowlands or Nike stadium.:eek:

So much for JetBlue....

That name would be much better then MetLife. I was looking at Big Blue's schedule and it listed "MetLife Stadium" and I was like "WTF is MetLife stadium" then it hit me. "oh right. It's the shitty new name for New Meadowlands Stadium"

what do you expect in an era of enthroned corporations?

people have become such whores...anything to make a buck. i'm just glad they didn't bastardize new "yankee stadium" with the name of some trick pony corporation.

people have become such whores...anything to make a buck. i'm just glad they didn't bastardize new "yankee stadium" with the name of some trick pony corporation.

Of the new stadiums/ballparks bulit in last 15 years, only the Yankees, the Nationals(so far)the NFL Browns(Browns Stadium in Cleveland) and Cowboys Stadium in Texas have not 'bastardize' their new homes with naming rights.

Very true. I don't think there should be any worry as the 'Yankees' name is a brand on its own. Same for the Dallas Cowboys.

Very true. I don't think there should be any worry as the 'Yankees' name is a brand on its own. Same for the Dallas Cowboys.

As much as I hate to admit this about the underlined...I agree with you.

(Giants fan, generally speaking)

Archived