Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
mark1447

The NYC Subway Hurricane Recovery Thread

With Hurricane Irene barreling towards New York, the MTA said it may close the city’s entire mass transit system, officials said this afternoon.

The decision to stop buses, the subway and trains would be made if high winds and torrential rain became too dangerous to continue service, jittery transit officials said.

"Because of the severity of the wind and rain associated with a hurricane, there may be partial or full shut down of our services to ensure the safety of our customers and employees," the MTA said in a statement.

"We are also prepared to implement evacuation plans if the Mayor and Governor decide that is necessary."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/hurricane_irene_carolina_path_toward_993RrKolrBSXAaTBOMi4YL#ixzz1W4qQBhns

Edited by mark1447

Not too thrilled that one of the few times I take a plane, I'm gonna be flying right into a hurricane Monday...

This is real weird stuff though. Not sure if any of you remember Andrew, but I don't even think that warranted a full closure. Watch for hospitals to close too. It ain't the end of the world, but the overreactions are gonna make it become it.

But you know what, it's good to be over-prepared sometimes because if we get caught with our pants down, we'll have a much bigger mess on our hands.

The reaction is more tremendous then the possible hurricane itself, but it makes people aware of the potential danger.

Suffolk government is saying that the LIRR is planning a system shutdown at 13:00 Saturday. Don't know if that means Suffolk (east of Huntington/Farmingdale/Babylon makes most sense) or whether it's supposed to be taken literally (Manhattan to Montauk).

The Suffolk website is down right now.

It's necessary for the Underground but the elevated can run slow like this for example.

Not necessarily. The underground system is prone to flooding, especially in torrential downpours that are guaranteed from this storm. The smartest thing to do is to not be running anything starting sometime early Sunday morning, and making sure all rolling stock and buses are safely secure and in their yards and depots. God forbid a train or a bus is caught in service out in the rain, wind, hail, and storm surge. Not only are you talking about the loss of expensive equipment that the MTA can't afford to replace, but more importantly, the lives of the MTA personnel and any rider dumb enough to be on that train or bus at the time...

Actually, the safest is to get as many trains as possible on structure and yards NOT prone to flooding (240th/livonia come to mind), can't assume yards (many of which are near water including CI, Jamaica, 207) are completely flood resistant.

Yes, flooding from rain is a big concern, but winds also play a factor in this, too. If Irene takes one of the more severe predicted paths, were possibly looking at winds of up to 90 mph. That can create some projectile problems. It's better that people don't have the temptation to go out during the storm because the trains are running. We've had excess warning, plan ahead.

After last winter's snowstorm I'm not surprised, it's better to be prepared like P-Lo said than being caught by surprise

I was thinking about the Subway shutting down also b\c if this is a really intense Hurricane dumping serval inches the subways will be flooded.I thought of the (4) only running in the Bronx Woodlawn to 161st or possibly 149th.

Brighton/Sea Beach/Concourse would be greatly affected I'm sure of.

MTA Statement on Hurricane Irene

Hurricane Warning

August 25, 2011

The MTA is actively preparing for the impact of Hurricane Irene, coordinating with the Governor's Office, Mayor's Office and regional OEMs consistent with our Hurricane Plan. We are making arrangements to bring in extra personnel over the weekend, preparing our facilities and infrastructure by clearing drains, securing work sites against possible high winds, checking and fueling equipment, stocking supplies, and establishing plans to move equipment and supplies away from low-lying areas as needed. Because of the severity of the wind and rain associated with a hurricane, there may be partial or full shut down of our services to ensure the safety of our customers and employees. We are also prepared to implement evacuation plans if the Mayor and Governor decide that is necessary. We urge our customers to check mta.info frequently and to consider the impacts of this storm when making travel plans through the weekend.

Edited by Casey Stengel

It's necessary for the Underground but the elevated can run slow like this for example.

(4) runs from Woodlawn to Burnside.

If things get too rough, then the MTA has to worry about evacuating its people, and the last thing anyone needs is a repeat of people being trapped on trains.

we are in a state of emergency we dont need trains and buses running in wind around 70mph thats stupid

Agreed. Yet there will be some stupid new yorkers who will still complain at no subway even in middle of a cat. 2 storm with 80-90 mph winds.:eek:

Agreed. Yet there will be some stupid new yorkers who will still complain at no subway even in middle of a cat. 2 storm with 80-90 mph winds.:eek:
there always will be people that want the impossible to be possible but there no playing with this storm and its good they are telling people today not too look for it on sat and sunday even as far as monday and if its real bad ill say as far as tuesday or so

Fortunately, I live in an apartment well outside of any of the projected zone areas, but I'll be using sigificantly less electricity than I typically use, come Sunday. Currently, AccuWeather is projected for the Sunday rain to taper off here in the Fresh Meadows area during the evening hours, but hey you never know. But one thing's for sure, if there's an (MTA) shut down Saturday, I'll definetly not be going to my weekday Manhattan program on Monday.

F^ck @ss Irene. If the (MTA) does decide to run I hope some R160's get destroyed! ;) (along with PA-5's).

Actually, the safest is to get as many trains as possible on structure and yards NOT prone to flooding (240th/livonia come to mind), can't assume yards (many of which are near water including CI, Jamaica, 207) are completely flood resistant.

Structures as in Els, embankments? That wont be safe ether since Wind can be a problem.. Who knows if a train can get knocked down at such powerful speed.

Maybe barns can handle? At least some cars not all.

F^ck @ss Irene. If the (MTA) does decide to run I hope some R160's get destroyed! ;) (along with PA-5's).

oh brother.... grow up already................. *ROLLS EYES*

Now I see why ppl jump on your case......you just like drawing attention to yourself and/or continue to make ignorant comments about a NTT....smfh!

Seriously?? I hope this is sarcasm or I hope 3607 gets damaged! (along with R32 3607).

Ok lets not let this post die...

Gorden if you have nothing good to say then turn around and don't post garbage.. As viaWPR says, this is why people poke at you!