The NYC Subway Hurricane Recovery Thread

mark1447

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply
All of the conductors on the (Q) and other lines like (:P(J) etc. told me tat this weekend, all trains are shutting down and buses wont run bcause of the hurricane irene.

so all u need to do is stay home

Uh we know/knew...

http://www.myfoxny.com/dpp/news/local_news/staten_island/hurricane-irene-shuts-down-entire-nyc-transit-system-20110826-lgf

the MTA did this with no real notice but all buses and trains are free at this time until tomorrow at 12PM nice of them too do that isnt it

Not all subway/railroad, only those stations in the evacuation area (from what I can tell, that's Rockaways, Broad Channel, CI, W8, Neptune Av, Brighton Beach, Sheepshead Bay, Yankee Stadium MNR)

But all buses are free. No mention of express buses.

From the MTA Weather Page :

Weather Alert

Safety

System Shutdown to Begin at Noon Tomorrow

Hurricane Warning

August 26, 2011

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo this morning directed MTA officials to begin immediately implementing a hurricane plan designed to protect the safety of New Yorkers before, during and after the expected impacts of Hurricane Irene, with latest forecasts showing dangerous conditions reaching the area as early as Saturday evening. Customers are advised to leave plenty of time for travel. Don't take unnecessary chances and don't wait until the last minute to make sure that your family is safe and secure.

The MTA will begin an incremental suspension of its subway, bus, and Long Island Rail Road, Metro-North Railroad, and Staten Island Railway service beginning approximately eight hours prior to sustained 39 mph winds reaching the area. Subway and bus lines will begin shutting down after 12 noon tomorrow.

MTA bridges will close if winds reach sustained speeds of 60 mph, but this does not preclude them from closing sooner if high winds are coupled with other weather-related conditions including flooding. Each of MTA's seven bridges and two tunnels will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.

In order to facilitate the mandatory evacuations, the MTA will suspend collection of certain fares and tolls. Tolls are already suspended at the Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge and the Marine Parkway-Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge. Starting at 8:00 PM today, the following changes will go into effect:

Tolls will be suspended on the Verrazano-Narrows, Throgs Neck, and Bronx-Whitestone Bridges.

Fares will be suspended on buses throughout the city.

Fares will be suspended for subway and rail passengers at stations in the mandatory evacuation area.

There will be no scheduled pickups after 12 noon on Saturday but Access-A-Ride and Able-Ride will be working with OEM providing vehicles for the evacuation for disabled residents. There will be no Access-A-Ride and Able-Ride service on Sunday, August 28 or Monday morning, August 29.

If you don't have to travel tomorrow we strongly suggest staying home

I re-post this again since these are some important questions?

Actually i was going to raise a dumb question? How does a subway shutdown in NYC work since it takes up to 8 hours starting at 12 Noon on Saturday to send the trains to their yards. Does it mean that the last uptown train for Woodlawn leaves at around 710pm from 42nd-Grand Central?

1)Also do the trains keep running in underground stations in Manhattan during the storm like during the transit strikes in recent past i.e 1980 and 2005?

2)What happens to stations like Times Sq. since they dont have gates at those busy stations?

3)Does buses at depots in flood prone areas ie.Ulmer Park, JFK and Far Rockaway be sent elsewhere in the city?

Actually i was going to raise a dumb question? How does a subway shutdown in NYC work since it takes up to 8 hours starting at 12 Noon on Saturday to send the trains to their yards. Does it mean that the last uptown train for Woodlawn leaves at around 710pm from 42nd-Grand Central?

1)Also do the trains keep running in underground stations in Manhattan during the storm like during the transit strikes in recent past i.e 1980 and 2005?

2)What happens to stations like Times Sq. since they dont have gates at those busy stations?

3)Does buses at depots in flood prone areas ie.Ulmer Park, JFK and Far Rockaway be sent elsewhere in the city?

1. NO!

2. Nothing they would put yellow tape over it and that's it! Close the turnstiles etc...

3. Yes, But the buildings themselves would be flooded

On the MTA Service Changes it does not say anything about the Bronx buses being affected.

the hole system is not running bx manh bk it doesnt matter where we all are going too have the same storm

I know the whole system will be shut down I'm just SAYING that the website said it. Not me. (You forgot the W in whole.)

for your #2 they have a thing on the turnstiles that show red and no entry, when they shut down a station so times sq would have that and a red tape over it, all stations will do the same thing even if you try to use your metro card it wont work

Not all subway/railroad, only those stations in the evacuation area (from what I can tell, that's Rockaways, Broad Channel, CI, W8, Neptune Av, Brighton Beach, Sheepshead Bay, Yankee Stadium MNR)

But all buses are free. No mention of express buses.

they didnt say anything about just low line areas in the A zone they said the hole system, it also says that on the platforms with the PA?CIS all day now, its from 12pm the hole system not just some

In any case, I thouroughly agree with those who say that the MTA is shutting down service primarily because of their fear of lawsuits. I mean really, it's the MTA. Nobody should be surprised, not under any circumstances.

Uh,no.the (MTA) is more worried about their equipment and Costumer safety then lawsuits.

Well I can say tonight I saw the Pelham Crew moving trains from the yard & storing in the tunnels along the Express Track in the Bronx & some on the Manhattan Express Tracks, & that is the same practice they use when the snow storms are coming

I have a good question....... HOW DO THEY EXPECT THIER EMPLOYEES TO COME INTO WORK WHEN THERES NO SERVICE and when all the major bridges leaving the Island are closed ??!?!:mad::tdown:

There was a bulletin on it posted to all the crew rooms today...basically swipe your pass where you can to get a "scheduled" trip to your work location then call the crew office and report to *any* crew location...

if you can't do that it's hope for the best...but call the crew office and make sure they have a record of you calling...

There was a bulletin on it posted to all the crew rooms today...basically swipe your pass where you can to get a "scheduled" trip to your work location then call the crew office and report to *any* crew location...

if you can't do that it's hope for the best...but call the crew office and make sure they have a record of you calling...

I finished around midnight at 179, didn't see those... I'll assume you're Midnights.

TWU is stating that our contract allows us to pay precisely because of the weather conditions... but you know a lot of people didn't get paid for snow day.

http://www.twulocal100.org/node/25499

I have a good question....... HOW DO THEY EXPECT THIER EMPLOYEES TO COME INTO WORK WHEN THERES NO SERVICE and when all the major bridges leaving the Island are closed ??!?!:mad::tdown:

Like he said call the Crew Office and get through you WONT be marked AWOL.

If you wanna make some $$$$$$$$$ you can report someplace till the system starts up again sometime Monday.

Actually i was going to raise a dumb question? How does a subway shutdown in NYC work since it takes up to 8 hours starting at 12 Noon on Saturday to send the trains to their yards. Does it mean that the last (4) uptown train for Woodlawn leaves at around 710pm from 42nd-Grand Central?:confused:

3)Does all (MTA) personal working from T/O"s to Bus drivers get paid?

Maybe, they will shut down subway stations like during MTA Strike.

I remember when I walk pass 86th St (4)(5)(6) when I was living in Upper East Side, there was sign indicated station is closed due to strike.

LOL! Dude, you know they're still going to want you under water working on those track circuits! :P

Archived