First Look @ the NYMTA's New Flyer XD40

The Real

I love the bus, but don't like the HVAC compartment. I wish all the Xcelsiors looked like this!:drool:

xcelsior_5.jpg

MTA may order in 459 buses by next year. My money on and vote for New Flyer to get the award for the XD40s. Goooooo NEW FLYER!!

That's not going to happen. The XD40's have not even begun their testing yet. This award is scheduled for little more than 90 days from now.

That's not going to happen. The XD40's have not even begun their testing yet. This award is scheduled for little more than 90 days from now.

ok.... i hope the XD40 come by the end of next week. I think we all waited long enough if not by the middle of September. (grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:):P

A couple of the guys I know at MTS and Daimler are going to twist their faces up at this comment!

The bus in the pic above is the sexiest bus my eyes have ever had the honor of seeing.

My absolute favorite color. The overall design is unrivaled. The GM-Allison hybrid gives it just the right touch.

I will be foaming over this bad boy at APTA in October!:drool:

I love the bus, but don't like the HVAC compartment. I wish all the Xcelsiors looked like this!:drool:

xcelsior_5.jpg

Imagine that was the MTA's new bus colors.....and some shiney new alcoa chrome rims as shoes? Drop dead gorgeous I say.

A couple of the guys I know at MTS and Daimler are going to twist their faces up at this comment!

The bus in the pic above is the sexiest bus my eyes have ever had the honor of seeing.

My absolute favorite color. The overall design is unrivaled. The GM-Allison hybrid gives it just the right touch.

I will be foaming over this bad boy at APTA in October!:drool:

Agreed, no matter what the top compartment looks like, this bus' design doesn't fail to impress. I would love to shake the hand of the designer(s) of the Xcelsior. By far the most stylish transit bus out now. This is what a bus made in 2011 SHOULD look like.

The XD40 looks ok. Having seen the buses in person in New Haven all I can really say is that I'm not that impressed. The roof hump takes away from the clean lines of the bus, and I don't know what this big thing lately with rear windows but it doesn't look all that great.

All in all I would prefer to see more D40LFs or LFRs.

Is that pilot part of the production ? Does that mean they have built most of the C40LF already ?

There has only been a few C40's built. The order calls for 385 buses. I haven't talked to anyone at New Flyer about any of the new orders in over a month. I have been extremely busy, and just haven't had the time to get an update on all things transit. I have about 80 emails yet to read, and a ton of phone calls to return. I'm about 2 months behind, but I will be doing updates all week long.

The XD40 looks ok. Having seen the buses in person in New Haven all I can really say is that I'm not that impressed. The roof hump takes away from the clean lines of the bus, and I don't know what this big thing lately with rear windows but it doesn't look all that great.

All in all I would prefer to see more D40LFs or LFRs.

So would I. I would have been great to have a mix of C40LF's, D40LFR's, and XD60's.

However, I absolutely love the X's. And the real window is optional. New Flyers have pretty much always had that as an option. I know they have since the first D40LF's nearly 20 years ago now.

I know this was orgionally a SEPTA order given to NYCTA cuz SEPTA wanted XDE not XDs. Then again, SEPTA wants alot of things NYCTA has like 230 for instance. SEPTA wanted all DE40LFs, New Flyer only gave them restyles in 2010, yet us in MTA get old styles New Flyers in 2011. I think SEPTA and New Flyer's relationship is slowly becoming shit while our relationship with New Flyer gets better everyday. I can't wait for theses and more 2011-2012 C40LFs.

I'll bet that all of CAS O5's will be in the Bronx by the end of these orders...

Not exactly, I predict this will happen :

When Xcelsiors go to CAS., they bump out the Orion 5's to CS to bump out the older 6000s, then they send more NG's to FP to bump out the RTS and maybe some 05's to WF to bump out the RTS. Maybe a few more NG's to manhattan.

CAS O5 moslty likey will go to Queens & the Bronx to kill any Per 1998 buses. The NG seem to be FP bound to Kill off the 1996 Novas. UP will either lose the 1998 or the ZF to FLA to kill the rest of 1996 Nova. QV had 90 buses to replace with out having to send out anything since the 1998 Novas will become there oldest buses.

Not exactly, I predict this will happen :

When Xcelsiors go to CAS., they bump out the Orion 5's to CS to bump out the older 6000s, then they send more NG's to FP to bump out the RTS and maybe some 05's to WF to bump out the RTS. Maybe a few more NG's to manhattan.

Actually, the O5s and RTS at WF are going to be replaced by the new C40LFs. The total: 54. WF could probably be fleeted by C40LFs, O7 CNGs and D60s only. And (keep in mind) Nova Artics are said to be assigned to CS for Q44 (rumored to become a possible SBS) and maybe Q20A/B, who knows.

Archived