The LIRR/MNR Hurricane Recovery Thread

The TransitMan

http://as0.mta.info/mnr/html/bigboard.cfm shows a POU train and a couple NHV ones. That may be a good sign!

Upper Harlem will take a while with substation damage.

Hope (MTA) considers running 'bus substution' service between Poughkeepsie and Croton if this is a long term outage i.e past tommorow (8/30).

People got to go to work and my case grad school starting next week in Westchester.

An update as of 5pm today 8/29/11 from metro north/MTA website.

Metro-North resumes full Hudson & New Haven Main Line service on a Sunday Schedule as of 4 PM. Service continues to operate on the Lower Harlem Line only. Upper Harlem and New Canaan, Danbury and Waterbury Branch Line Services remain suspended.

Metro-North is operating a Sunday schedule on the entire Hudson Line and New Haven Line Main Line as of 4 PM today (Monday, August 29). Service continues to operate on the Lower Harlem Line only. Upper Harlem and New Canaan, Danbury and Waterbury Branch Line Services remain suspended.

There is still no signal and third-rail power because of downed transmission poles, trees continuing to fall and water-damaged substations. Metro-North crews continue to work around-the-clock, assess conditions, clear the tracks and repair the infrastructure. Following all repair efforts, patrol trains have to operate to ensure the safety of the tracks before resuming service.

We will continue to restore as much service as possible once we have determined that it is safe to do so.

The following service will be in effect:

On the Upper Hudson Line a regular Sunday Schedule will be in effect to and from Grand Central beginning with the following trains:

Inbound Departures

4 PM from Poughkeepsie: Normal Stops to Grand Central

Outbound Departures from Grand Central

3:52 PM to Poughkeepsie: Regular stops to Poughkeepsie

On the New Haven Line a regular Sunday Schedule will be in effect to and from Grand Central beginning with the following trains:

Inbound Departures

3:54 PM from New Haven: Normal stops to Stamford/express to Grand Central

4:03 PM to Stamford: All stops to Grand Central

Outbound Departures from Grand Central

4:07 PM to New Haven: Express to Stamford/Normal stops to New Haven

4:37 PM to Stamford: All stops to Stamford

On the Lower Harlem Line a regular Sunday Schedule is currently in effect to and from North White Plains only.

Customers may use our interactive schedules page to view all train times.

Port Jervis and Pascack Valley Line service remains suspended today. In particular, trees continue to fall on the Upper Harlem Line and water continues to flood sections of the Port Jervis Line making it difficult to assess the full impact of the hurricane to critical infrastructure.

Off-Peak fares will be in effect, and Metro-North will honor West-of-Hudson tickets on the Hudson Line

Overnight, hundreds of Metro-North crews addressed several mudslides and washouts along the Hudson Line, removed numerous fallen trees on all three train lines, pumped water out of key locations, restored signal and power systems, repaired and replaced switch motors. The difficulty of these efforts was compounded by the significant road closures in the territory.

We urge customers to monitor media reports for the latest information, check the MTA's website at http://www.mta.info and sign up for customer email and text message alerts.

We regret any inconvenience you may experience as a result of this service disruption due to Hurricane Irene. "

MTA now reports that Port Jervis line damage is "catastrophic" and that the line could be out for MONTHS.

http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/serviceupdates.htm?story=707

Wow! That bad news for me as now tons of Pt Jervis riders will be packing at the Beacon station especially those near the Harriman and Middletown/Wallkill station.

Wow! That bad news for me as now tons of Pt Jervis riders will be packing at the Beacon station especially those near the Harriman and Middletown/Wallkill station.

Then use New Hamburg (or Cold Spring if you're willing to lose "Beacon first stop").

The "catastrophe":

The cables are the signal system, not repair work!

6095270252_64ca7ea29f_b.jpg

6094729211_8c395ef2bd_b.jpg

6093811271_78182f8149_b.jpg

6094348128_e74797d8e4_b.jpg

Then use New Hamburg (or Cold Spring if you're willing to lose "Beacon first stop").

Actually my 'home' stations are either New Hamburg or Poughkeepsie ( I live 1/2 way between both stations) lol.

Still seriously the Hudson line which is the *fastest growing* coordior (I know the New Haven/Stamford is the busiest)on MNRR and needs more service to upper hudson line stations i.e Beacon, Peekskill and Croton-Harmon is going to be even more SRO on many trips.

Thus I hope the MNRR Boss Permut considers more service especially restoring northbound weekday evening 'super express' service between GCT and Croton asap with this Pt. Jervis shutdown.:mad:

A question for anyone including Amtrak7? Just read the MTA website of the Pt Jervis shutdown. Will the 'shuttle buses' from Harriman run to Suffern? Is there (NJT) service between Suffern and Hoboken/NYP?

1 thing for sure. Shortline/Coach USA hopefully will add extra buses to their Middletown, NY and Newburgh runs in Orange County.

A question for anyone including Amtrak7? Just read the MTA website of the Pt Jervis shutdown. Will the 'shuttle buses' from Harriman run to Suffern? Is there (NJT) service between Suffern and Hoboken/NYP?

1 thing for sure. Shortline/Coach USA hopefully will add extra buses to their Middletown, NY and Newburgh runs in Orange County.

Buses will run Harriman-Ramsey Rt 17, no intermediate stops. NJT south of Suffern is operating normally, although until the NEC at Trenton is fixed passengers are being told to go to PATH at HOB instead of changing at SEC.

Buses will run Harriman-Ramsey Rt 17, no intermediate stops. NJT south of Suffern is operating normally, although until the NEC at Trenton is fixed passengers are being told to go to PATH at HOB instead of changing at SEC.

A second service is added - and this one may be run by Yonkers Depot drivers. This one runs via Interstate 84, servicing Port Jervis (110 spaces), Middletown-Town of Wallkill (750 spaces) and Beacon, to alleviate the situation at Harriman. There is no direct service between Harriman and Middletown at this time.

As for rebuilding the line, the MTA has invoked "emergency powers" to use capital money for this. See here: http://transportationnation.org/2011/08/31/nys-mta-invokes-emergency-powers-to-rebuild-port-jervis-line/

A second service is added - and this one may be run by Yonkers Depot drivers. This one runs via Interstate 84, servicing Port Jervis (110 spaces), Middletown-Town of Wallkill (750 spaces) and Beacon, to alleviate the situation at Harriman. There is no direct service between Harriman and Middletown at this time.

As for rebuilding the line, the MTA has invoked "emergency powers" to use capital money for this. See here: http://transportationnation.org/2011/08/31/nys-mta-invokes-emergency-powers-to-rebuild-port-jervis-line/

Will this Port Jervis-Middletown, NY to/from Beacon run weekdays only or a full 7 days a week?

I would expect it to be weekday only. The Stewart Airport shuttle is also weekdays only now.

Actually the Beacon-Stewart Airport (Via Newburgh)shuttle runs 7 days excluding major holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. However the Stewart Airport-Beacon bus has very limited weekend service though i.e 2-hour headways.

Still have not found out if this Pt. Jervis/Middletown-Beacon bus is weekday only or 7-days a week:confused:. It should be that since Coach USA/Shortline to/from Middletown/Walkill on weekends is about every 2 hours.

Actually the Beacon-Stewart Airport (Via Newburgh)shuttle runs 7 days excluding major holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas. However the Stewart Airport-Beacon bus has very limited weekend service though i.e 2-hour headways.

Still have not found out if this Pt. Jervis/Middletown-Beacon bus is weekday only or 7-days a week:confused:. It should be that since Coach USA/Shortline to/from Middletown/Walkill on weekends is about every 2 hours.

Weekend schedule: http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/PJ_Line_weekend.pdf

Harriman weekend schedule: http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/PJBus_Har_Weekend.pdf

Harriman weekday schedule is the train schedule. I wonder if Port Jervis trains are being turned at Suffern or just cancelled?

Weekend schedule: http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/PJ_Line_weekend.pdf

Harriman weekend schedule: http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/PJBus_Har_Weekend.pdf

Harriman weekday schedule is the train schedule. I wonder if Port Jervis trains are being turned at Suffern or just cancelled?

Actually the Port Jervis line is running between Suffern and Hoboken. However peak service express trains are cancelled though.

Amtrak basically Suffern is the northern terminal for local or short turn trains. Just like for example say Stamford is for local trains for New Haven line and Croton Harmon for Local/short turn for the Hudson.. Only difference is that Port Jervis has very limited service while the New Haven and Poughkeepsie 'through' trains runs about every 30-60 minutes throughtout the day.

Generally Pt Jervis would operate every hour during rush hours and about every 2-3 hours all other times. Hope it answers your question Amtrak.

FYI. I been on the Pt Jervis line i.e Suffern-Hoboken couple of times but only once between Wallkill-Middletown, NY and Hoboken/Manhattan railfanning when i still lived in Brooklyn.

Still it's another Metro North line that is growing in ridership to NY State's fastest growing county, Orange County.

Actually the Port Jervis line is running between Suffern and Hoboken. However peak service express trains are cancelled though.

Amtrak basically Suffern is the northern terminal for local or short turn trains. Just like for example say Stamford is for local trains for New Haven line and Croton Harmon for Local/short turn for the Hudson.. Only difference is that Port Jervis has very limited service while the New Haven and Poughkeepsie 'through' trains runs about every 30-60 minutes throughtout the day.

Generally Pt Jervis would operate every hour during rush hours and about every 2-3 hours all other times. Hope it answers your question Amtrak.

FYI. I been on the Pt Jervis line i.e Suffern-Hoboken couple of times but only once between Wallkill-Middletown, NY and Hoboken/Manhattan railfanning when i still lived in Brooklyn.

Still it's another Metro North line that is growing in ridership to NY State's fastest growing county, Orange County.

NJT answered my question:

http://www.njtransit.com/sa/sa_servlet.srv?hdnPageAction=ServiceAdjustmentTo&AdjustmentId=7985

Curious: How much equipment and trains are currently stranded in Port Jervis, and is there any way to route them another way to get them down?

I asked on RR.NET but no reply as to how many sets are there.

The only way to get them out is via Binghamton. :eek:

Hope (MTA) considers running 'bus substution' service between Poughkeepsie and Croton if this is a long term outage i.e past tommorow (8/30).

People got to go to work and my case grad school starting next week in Westchester.

Unfortunately for LIRR there was no substitute buses offered even on Tuesday. Port Jeff was suspended...no buses. I then tried to get a train to Riverhead but it was cancelled when I got to Ronkonkoma. No shuttle buses. There was a North Fork Express going to Splish Splash but the jerk bus driver wouldn't honor our RR tickets and wanted $15 (or was it $18..he kept changing the price) and only would stop at Splish Splash.

Price gouging and I flipped my lid!! I hate when people take advantage of situations like these to rip ppl off :mad:

Good thing for Suffolk Transit even though it took 3 times as long.

Vis a vis West of Hudson - there are currently 8 trainsets and 43 cars stranded in Port Jervis. But as the line is intact to the Moodna Viaduct, the MTA plans next week to use NYS&W track to bring the equipment to Meadowlands, running to just before Salisbury Mills-Cornwall, curving to run to Sparta, and then a reverse move that will bring the trains to just before Hawthorne on the NJT Main Line.

The NYS&W has trackage rights over the PJ west of Salisbury Mills-Cornwall from Norfolk Southern, which owns the railroad (the MTA leases and maintains it from Suffern to Port Jervis, however).

All of the destruction to the Port Jervis Line is south of the Moodna Viaduct.

Archived