For the C Train’s Rickety and Rackety Cars, Retirement Will Have to Wait

Gramps

There is the telltale wheeze, then an ominous rattle. And then the (C) train, that least loved of New York City subway lines, rumbles sadly into the station, its faded tin-can siding a dreary reminder to passengers of an earlier subterranean era.

The cars on the (C) line are not only the oldest in the New York subway: They also rank among the oldest city subway trains still in regular operation anywhere in the world. And they are not leaving anytime soon.

Like an employer pushing back a valued worker’s retirement, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority has responded to budget problems by extending the lives of the (C) cars, known by their model number as R32s. The cars will now run through at least 2017, when they will be 53 years old, well past the tenure envisioned upon their gleaming debut during the Johnson administration in 1964.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/26/nyregion/for-often-late-cars-of-subways-c-train-retirement-must-wait.html?_r=2&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha29

post-3072-133288582637_thumb.jpg

post-3072-133288582637_thumb.jpg

Well currently the R46 are on the (C), so I thought riders would be more happy with the R46.

It seems that overall the (A)(C) combined have the worst maintained / oldest, most crappiest fleet in the system. Whenever something is about to retire (ex: the R42's), they will go to the (A) and/or (C).

The R32's will be able to handle until 2017, even 2020 (if they stay that long then the (MTA) should at least do a little fixing-up on them). But the R42's are already almost dead, I don't know why they keep running the lives out of the R42's. I mean, ENY with the (J) is hard enough for the R42's, so I really don't know why the (MTA) would put the R42's on the (A) to rust them out even more.

I had an idea a few weeks ago to rebuild the R32's since the (MTA) is in a budget crisis. But now I realize the R32's are too old to be rebuilt. I just know that the (MTA) still runs their R32's is because they have no other choice, otherwise there would be a car shortage.

Well currently the R46 are on the (C), so I thought riders would be more happy with the R46.

It seems that overall the (A)(C) combined have the worst maintained / oldest, most crappiest fleet in the system. Whenever something is about to retire (ex: the R42's), they will go to the (A) and/or (C).

The R32's will be able to handle until 2017, even 2020 (if they stay that long then the (MTA) should at least do a little fixing-up on them). But the R42's are already almost dead, I don't know why they keep running the lives out of the R42's. I mean, ENY with the (J) is hard enough for the R42's, so I really don't know why the (MTA) would put the R42's on the (A) to rust them out even more.

I had an idea a few weeks ago to rebuild the R32's since the (MTA) is in a budget crisis. But now I realize the R32's are too old to be rebuilt. I just know that the (MTA) still runs their R32's is because they have no other choice, otherwise there would be a car shortage.

They are going to get SMS!

From the barely readable front display to the ugly interior colors, I cant stand those models, I wasnt too fond of the 44s either, but I look forward to seeing the R179s on the (A) and (C)

They scream 70s and with me being born in the 80s I'm automatically turned off. I cringe everytime I see one. :eek: Part of history they are not... I think I actually like the Redbirds more than these. They were old, but at least they were unique to a degree.

Is it because R32s don't look like this anymore?

img_97404.jpg

LOL... They just don't fit in with the rest of the fleet at ALL. I also can't wait for those R46s to go. The outside is okay, but the inside screams 70s with those hideous orange and yellow seats and the cheap looking wallks. LOL :eek:

They scream 70s and with me being born in the 80s I'm automatically turned off. I cringe everytime I see one. :eek: Part of history they are not... I think I actually like the Redbirds more than these. They were old, but at least they were unique to a degree.

The redbirds were not unique at all, all cars from the R16s until the R32s came in looked the same (both A and B Divisions). If anything, the R32s are more unique since they were the first all stainless steel car.

The redbirds were not unique at all, all cars from the R16s until the R32s came in looked the same (both A and B Divisions). If anything, the R32s are more unique since they were the first all stainless steel car.

I'm not going off of the deep end with that statement. I'm just saying that the Redbirds were a bit unique, particularly because of their color.

I do wish they were this color though.

http://www.nycsubway.org/perl/show?3842

LOL Thats ugly to me. Its not Redbird in that color, its Greenbird! I like the color of silver and blue stripes like some of the redbirds in the Train of Many Colors.

Thats my 2 cents.

And this R32 thing gets brought back over and over again....They are ONLY retiring late cause THEY ARE ALL STAINLESS STEAL. Otherwise, sometimes when you walk inside an R32 your gonna be boiled. You think the (MTA) really wants to put these cars with broken LCD signs for the route, bad A/C, and broken things? NO. If it weren't that the R44's had problems, these R32's would be in the bottom of the atlantic by now.

LOL... They just don't fit in with the rest of the fleet at ALL. I also can't wait for those R46s to go. The outside is okay, but the inside screams 70s with those hideous orange and yellow seats and the cheap looking wallks. LOL :eek:

THANK U, i dont me to be a hater i love all subway cars but these along with their older brothers are the worst riding most uncomfortable subway cars i've ever rode even the small memories i have left riding the redbirds weren't as bad as them not even the 32's and 38's. but thats just my opinion.(directed towards the r46s and r44s, only)

But the R32s are basically 60ft long Redbirds with stainless steel sheels.

The only thing unique about the Redbirds was the red paint. Every car from R10-R42 shared a similar design.

But the R32s are basically 60ft long Redbirds with stainless steel sheels.

The only thing unique about the Redbirds was the red paint. Every car from R10-R42 shared a similar design.

Why are so many people arguing about my post?? I said they were unique to a degree, not that they were so much better than the R32s. Jesus. :P Believe me, I wasn't exactly sad to see the Redbirds go either. When it is time for something to be retired it is time and these cars need to go already. They have more than served our needs and they should be replaced ASAP with new cars.

Archived