Sick Leave while on probation...serious injury

buddah

Hey there guys,

I have a question regarding serious injuries while on probation. I recently fractured my leg off the job last week, unfortunately it will take longer than the 6 sick days allowed by transit to heal. What will happen to me? I'm real worried about my career with transit now since this incident happened to me. Will I get fired for the injury? Im a trackworker, so im incapable of doing any work. I never took a day off before and i was never late...perfectly punctual. Im in my 6 month of probation.

As long as the injury is legitimate, and did not occur on a second job, you will be ok. Keep the authority in the loop with your progress and above all, documentation, documentation and more documentation. Create a nice folder of all paperwork. Ex: MD reports, dates etc...

Don't milk it. When your approved to return to work, go back to work. Plenty of people are waiting to take your job.

Speedy recovery!

This reminds of me of a former B/O on here who just like you Buddah

broke his leg and was about halfway through his probation.

He was forced to resign eventually because he had 4 different

sick leave absences. Now, accidents can happen to anybody at anytime

but try your best not to get injured or sick again until you

are off probation. Not trying to scare you, just that your story

reminded me of it. Hope you have a speedy recovery.

Hey there guys,

I have a question regarding serious injuries while on probation. I recently fractured my leg off the job last week, unfortunately it will take longer than the 6 sick days allowed by transit to heal. What will happen to me? I'm real worried about my career with transit now since this incident happened to me. Will I get fired for the injury? Im a trackworker, so im incapable of doing any work. I never took a day off before and i was never late...perfectly punctual. Im in my 6 month of probation.

The same thing happened to a guy I know who is also a track worker. He broke his arm with only a week on the job. All transit did was extend his probation the amount of time he was out(which was a while). He's still working here(as a track worker) 20 years later...

The same thing happened to a guy I know who is also a track worker. He broke his arm with only a week on the job. All transit did was extend his probation the amount of time he was out(which was a while). He's still working here(as a track worker) 20 years later...

Bad example, 20 years ago and now everything is different, and not towards a good ways.

Stay off duty for as long as your doctor tells you to stay home, ones you come back make sure you dont call out sick. You will be extended, but that is not that bad.

i had that problem 3 yrs ago broke my leg was out for weeks came back drove the bus my leg swelled up out again few weeks came back i was fine with doctors notes.than got the flu and stomach virus out again had no choice came back with doctors notes i was told resign or be terminated.dont come back until you know for sure your leg has healed.for this 1 time sick absence but dont go sick again your history it will be hard you will also have your probation extended also like me and others any thing you get more sick absences or written up your gone your just a number to them so besafe and stay out of trouble when you come back if you want this job.

Thanks for the replies, im a bit more relieved after reading everyone's responses. I'll make sure everything is in order as far as the doctor's lines are concerned. The likely scenario will probably be an extension, which I don't mind at all.

Sealteam, that sounds horrible and unfair what happened though.

Thanks for the replies, im a bit more relieved after reading everyone's responses. I'll make sure everything is in order as far as the doctor's lines are concerned. The likely scenario will probably be an extension, which I don't mind at all.

just took my drug test waiting for a phone call now for final medical hope to be back in a few weeks again its been a long 3 years waiting to get back

Also buddah what most have forgotten to mention is don't look at it as you took 6 days as 6 call outs, that's why they ask when you call out sick is it one day or further notice. Even if you say one day and call out the following day again it's still one sick occurrence. As long as you don't report back to duty it only counts as one call. You can stay out sick for 30 days but it will only count as one sick incident. So do as others have said and stay out as long as you need to. And in future reference ask these types of questions in the private TA employees forum, you'll get a faster more accurate answer. Not to say that people here won't know anything, but you'll get concrete answers with less speculations.

Archived