MTA shuts down system and some question loss of value on Unlimited Metrocard

Via Garibaldi 8

With the (MTA) shutting down the system at 12:00 today and with no sign as to when the system will be up again, some apparently are wondering about whether or not the (MTA) will extend the time on Unlimited Metrocards? I didn't think about this until I heard someone on NY1 talking about it and it is a good question. I actually wanted to run some errands today on the BM3, but with the system being shut down at 12:00 that just wasn't possible. Thoughts?

With the (MTA) shutting down the system at 12:00 today and with no sign as to when the system will be up again, some apparently are wondering about whether or not the (MTA) will extend the time on Unlimited Metrocards? I didn't think about this until I heard someone on NY1 talking about it and it is a good question. I actually wanted to run some errands today on the BM3, but with the system being shut down at 12:00 that just wasn't possible. Thoughts?

glad i didn't buy one

....I just had to buy a seven-day unlimited back on Monday, didn't I? :P

It would be nice for an extension on unlimiteds, but how exactly would the (MTA) bring it about?

Plus what about people whose unlimiteds will be already expired by Monday vs. people whose unlimiteds expire later in the week?

....I just had to buy a seven-day unlimited back on Monday, didn't I? :P

It would be nice for an extension on unlimiteds, but how exactly would the (MTA) bring it about?

Plus what about people whose unlimiteds will be already expired by Monday vs. people whose unlimiteds expire later in the week?

It isn't that difficult. They've done it in the past where they've extended the expiration date on all Unlimited cards. In my case I buy the weekly Express Bus Plus card, which is $50.00. I started the new one on Thursday and if service isn't up and running on Monday, that would at least three days out of the seven days that I would not be able to use my card. If it goes on that long or longer, and the (MTA) doesn't do anything, I may very well dispute the charge with American Express. AMEX is great with this kind of stuff, so I could probably get back at least half of that $50.00. The (MTA) may get pissy and block the card though, so all I would do use another of my AMEX cards and have AMEX send me another card to replace my current one and violà. :cool: That's my take on it and I think others should fight to get their lost days back too if they don't extend the time on the cards.

According to the link below, the (MTA) does NOT plan on reimbursing riders with Unlimited Metrocards for any of the lost days at the moment... :mad:

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/27/a-break-on-your-metrocard-because-of-the-storm-m-t-a-says-no/

I was thinking the same thing (You're probably thinking "of course he was" :P ). The MTA was able to do the same thing during the transit strike, so it should be able to do the same thing now, considering the fact that they shut down the system.

I could understand it if the trains were still running, and nobody was using them, but since they shut down the transit system, they should extend the days.

What time did the MTA offer free rides? The post on the hurricane thread was made at 19:52, but what time did they make the announcement? If I had known earlier, I would've saved the shopping trip for later and gotten the free ride.

Oh well, the lines probably would've been much longer anyway.

I was thinking the same thing (You're probably thinking "of course he was" :P ). The MTA was able to do the same thing during the transit strike, so it should be able to do the same thing now, considering the fact that they shut down the system.

I could understand it if the trains were still running, and nobody was using them, but since they shut down the transit system, they should extend the days.

What time did the MTA offer free rides? The post on the hurricane thread was made at 19:52, but what time did they make the announcement? If I had known earlier, I would've saved the shopping trip for later and gotten the free ride.

Oh well, the lines probably would've been much longer anyway.

Well, I was thinking about originally, thinking oh well I guess I'll be losing a few days, but I pay $50.00 a week either way, but then I heard someone ask about being refunded for the lost days on NY1 and then I thought about it and said hey that's a good point. It's not like the service was running and I simply decided not to use it. They shut down the service that I've already paid for and was not able to use, so yeah we should all be credited for the days that the system is out.

Archived