Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

How are you going to get to work?

Greenhornet

everything should be closed and shut down, how are you worried about getting to work? im curious to know what company is going to be "Open" during a damn hurricane? as for "Monday" if Irene does a lot of damage and cause floods, The subway n bus system will be paralyzed slightly. so plan ahead for monday.

MTA won't be running regular service until at least Wednesday. Many buses will be free, and TA employees will have to catch them to work. It's going to be crazy.

Buses are layed up all over the city.

The Orion VII hybrids are mobile generators as well. All the high floors have pretty much been deployed.

Artics will continue as shelter's, and shuttles after the storm.

Now as far as work, you need to just play it by ear. That's definitely not something you need to be concerned with at this point. There will be updates across the forums. If any other TA personnel know whats going on they will be sure to comment.

Buses are going to start running long before subways, and railroads.

MTA won't be running regular service until at least Wednesday. Many buses will be free, and TA employees will have to catch them to work. It's going to be crazy.

The Orion VII hybrids are mobile generators as well. All the high floors have pretty much been deployed.

Now as far as work, you need to just play it by ear. That's definitely not something you need to be concerned with at this point. There will be updates across the forums. If any other TA personnel know whats going on they will be sure to comment.

Are you saying trains wont be running on monday?

Are you saying trains wont be running on monday?

If they will it will be very limited service. The tracks have to be inspected before any service resumes. Buses have to transport ops and conductors to their trains. It's going to be a huge mess.

Shuttle buses will likely be running in the beginning. This all depends on how long Irene hovers over New York, and how much damage is caused.

Speculating on when and how service might actually resume is a little premature at this stage.

I've always drove to work, but I have half tank left and don't think I can last the week. People have told me gas stations won't open for a few days or something? Hope my boss understands I can't go no where after Monday.

everything should be closed and shut down, how are you worried about getting to work? im curious to know what company is going to be "Open" during a damn hurricane? as for "Monday" if Irene does a lot of damage and cause floods, The subway n bus system will be paralyzed slightly. so plan ahead for monday.

Wall Street for one:

The NYSE and NASDAQ expect to be fully operational Monday morning. They try to avoid closing at all costs on non-holidays or weekends in case a world event (i.e.: The Mumbai bombing that occurred on Thanksgiving a few years ago) happened that could effect the markets, especially since then once markets reopen extreme volatility could happen.

Wall Street for one:

The NYSE and NASDAQ expect to be fully operational Monday morning. They try to avoid closing at all costs on non-holidays or weekends in case a world event (i.e.: The Mumbai bombing that occurred on Thanksgiving a few years ago) happened that could effect the markets, especially since then once markets reopen extreme volatility could happen.

Even if most NYSE/NASDAQ stockbrokers and employees can't get to "wall street' on Monday, as long as a few 'essential' employees can show up i.e think blizzards, i saw on the news they can just got to computerized trading for the day's business.

Last time i believe Wall Street closed on a non holiday was 9/11.

Even if most NYSE/NASDAQ stockbrokers and employees can't get to "wall street' on Monday, as long as a few 'essential' employees can show up i.e think blizzards, i saw on the news they can just got to computerized trading for the day's business.

Actually, it was the national day of Mourning for Gerald Ford at the very beginning of 2006 on what would have been the first trading day of the year. There was a lot of controversy because the markets actually wanted that pushed back one day so they were not closed for four consecutive days.

guess even a hurricane can't stop the a*holes from trying to make their paper profits while selling out this nation.

I don't know how I"ll get to work!! And I don't drive. I need to go to Brooklyn,near downtown. 2,3, 4 or 5 train for me. the good news is, though, I need to get there only on tuesday morning.Wonder when the subway will be running again?

HI all, so just how is everyone betting to work I have to be in 10 pm on sunday night in south ferry, just hoping staten island ferry is running then. So where does everyone work and when do you have to be in?? :cool:

I heard on the news that the SI Ferry will be operational at 15:00 (I heard this at about 13:00), so you should be fine.

I'm hoping the free buses include express buses, but if it's just local buses, that's alright.

Here's an update from the MTA about the buses (SI service will take a while to restore. B) ):

"UPDATE: As of 4:30 p.m. the MTA will begin restoring limited bus service in New York City. Full route-by-route details about service restorations will be provided in the Service Status Box at left when available. Restoration will begin in Manhattan and the Bronx, followed by Queens and Brooklyn. Conditions in Staten Island continue to prevent restoration of service at this time. No fares will be charged for service provided today.

MTA crews are reporting widespread impacts following Hurricane Irene, including track and yard flooding, downed trees and power outages across our region. We are moving as quickly as possible to restore service while ensuring the safety of our customers, employees and equipment. Determinations about the timing of restoration of services will be made after assessments are complete and in consultation with the Governor and Mayor."

Oh hell yes!!!

Same here. I'm going to be doing some serious busfanning if that happens. :cool:

The only way I will probably be able to get to York tomorrow is take the Long Island Rail Road to Jamaica.

And that's not running.

Can you take something to the Q24?

I'm hoping the free buses include express buses, but if it's just local buses, that's alright.

They're probably not running.

Imgaine if this was Tuesday sept. 6 or w/e instead of tommorow 8/29 and public schools reopening when the storm hit?

Still the morning rush will be a mess. Only bright spot is that the weather in the 5 boros thru the labor day holiday is suppose to be beauitful.:cool:

Archived