Rbo NYCTA/MTAB merge?

transit bx

Hey sorry to bring this trend up,but its only right to do so, with this contract at the beginning of next year set to end, i know LIB is out the door set to start on 1/01/12, whats the word on the merge for NYCT/MTAB for the future or at least for the next upcoming contract. Anybody with info on this topic plz give your input (couge ENY couge) to this matter, or to any of my fellow TA/OA and MTAB B/O or personnel of TA or anybody that knows info on this topic. Will it happen sooner rather then later?

Hey sorry to bring this trend up,but its only right to do so, with this contract at the beginning of next year set to end, i know LIB is out the door set to start on 1/01/12, whats the word on the merge for NYCT/MTAB for the future or at least for the next upcoming contract. Anybody with info on this topic plz give your input (couge ENY couge) to this matter, or to any of my fellow TA/OA and MTAB B/O or Personnel of TA or anybody that knows info on this topic. Will it happen sooner rather then later?
Who knows I think it's a Union matter if it comes up during negotiations then that's the first step

At this time it appears to be around 2014, but of course that is only an educated guess.

Several things have to happen before a full merger can be implemented. A few of them are mentioned below.

*The fareboxes will all have to be replaced.

*All the bus radios have to be replaced by one standard model used by both agencies.

*Command Center operations will be merged, and located at ENY.

*Automated real-time bus service information will be standard across both divisions.

Note: All of the above is currently in the works!:cool:

Another is revamping the bus destination codes

The destination sign codes are actually universal.

The problem is the amount of data the ODK units can accept, this is why you have MTAB and NYCT codes uploaded seperately. If you had them merged they would not fit on the current memory of the ODKs in the system.

Even with the full on merge of RBO, you're probably going to have signs separated by boroughs in terms of uploading.

The destination sign codes are actually universal.

The problem is the amount of data the ODK units can accept, this is why you have MTAB and NYCT codes uploaded seperately. If you had them merged they would not fit on the current memory of the ODKs in the system.

Even with the full on merge of RBO, you're probably going to have signs separated by boroughs in terms of uploading.

That's what I meant. The express signs would have to be revamped too

That would definitely screw seniority with a lot cats in TA/OA, just as when they merged OA with TA a few years back.

BTW, where's the BCC for MTA Bus?

MTA Bus command center is in East New York.

If I decide to buy a new scanner in a couple of months

I can sell to you the one that I have now which has both the

MTA Bus and NYCT Bus radio frequencies programmed in.

That would definitely screw seniority with a lot cats in TA/OA, just as when they merged OA with TA a few years back.

The BCC for MTA BUS is at ENY COMMAND just like NYCT.

Crosses fingers on potential moves:

B100 to FB, Q20A/B/44 to CP, etc.

But agreed with it depends on the Unions and seniority. Ideally a full merger would mean routes can be interchanged for better interlining/dead heading.

Where did you get that info from?

Crosses fingers on potential moves:

B100 to FB, Q20A/B/44 to CP, etc.

The time is always right for "wish lists," and B100 in FB is an obvious one.

However, we must remember not to misinterpret "wish lists" and "crew room rumors" as definitive plans. This is still New York, where anything can happen, or not happen, or happen and then unhappen.

"I am not a lawyer".

From what I understand, to make a merger work, there are legal issues that

even the best lawyers working for the MTA can't get around.

Here is an example; I filled out an application and sent it along with a money order to NYC City Wide Admin. Services.

Waited for a test date and studied for exam. this was an Open Compet.Exam.

I past the test with only 1-wrong answer. then placed on the waiting list to be called by assigned list number.

My number came up, went to Hudson Pier for training, now on the job.

The MTA Bus Operators were taken from the private lines (Green Line, Jamaica Bus Lins, Queens Surface etc.) without any test or waiting list.

On Friday they worked for the private lines then on Monday they became MTA Bus Operators.

I went along with the rules to get this job, "This Job was Not Handed to Me".

There are many people still on the waiting list, who also took the test.

I would not be surprised if somebody on that waiting list starts a "Major Class Action Suit" against the MTA/NYCTA.

All you need is one person and one lawyer to start something.;)

"I am not a lawyer".

Here is an example; I filled out an application and sent it along with a money order to NYC City Wide Admin. Services.

I past the test with only 1-wrong answer. then placed on the waiting list to be called by assigned list number.

The MTA Bus Operators were taken from the private lines (Green Line, Jamaica Bus Lins, Queens Surface etc.) without any test or waiting list.

On Friday they worked for the private lines then on Monday they became MTA Bus Operators.

I would not be surprised if somebody on that waiting list starts a "Major Class Action Suit" against the MTA/NYCTA.

You have to remember that the depots in the bronx and manhatten where also once private bus lines, the MTA form it as MABSTOA. So its the same thing like with MTA BUS, sooner or later they going to merge it with NYCT just like they did with the MABSTOA depots. MTABCC was at college point when they first began operations under MTA, Now the MTABCC is at ENY, just like ENY had stated once the new radio devics is set in stone thats where everything is going to start following step by step. Its already happening where road ops is working together and ect. Our division headquerters for the Bronx at ECH is WESTFARMS, so its already in progess. Also the main person that runs my depot is from NYCT. Oh one more thing to get into MTA BUS now, you have to take the BOSS exam just like MABSTOA.

"I am not a lawyer".

Would you have preferred if they just laid off all of the Private Line B/O's when the (MTA) took over the PBL's? The B/O's from the private lines had to go through an application process to get hired when they started with Queens Surface or Triborough or any of the other companies. They were not randomely picked off the street and handed the keys to a bus.

If they had just laid off all those guys, you can bet that there would have rightfully been a lawsuit. When one company takes over another, especially when there are union workers, it generally cannot just fire everyone that already works there. That would not even be a smart move- why train new guys to do the job that a whole lot of people are already experienced at.

Mention is made of the TA/MABSTOA merger a few years back.....

Do they still consider the former 'civil service', and the latter, not, for hiring tests? If so how do they differentiate, etc?

"I am not a lawyer".

All you need is one person and one lawyer to start something.:P

First of all, I am confused at to exactly what you are talking about.

"On Friday they worked for the private lines then on Monday they became MTA Bus Operators." It was a takeover! All of the BC drivers had to do the same thing you did, only they didn't work for MTA when they did it. (Excluding the Civil Service exam)

That's like telling everyone at Northwest Airlines they would have to re-test to become part of the new Delta. Now THAT would be grounds for a lawsuit.

It doesn't matter that people are still on the waiting list for TA or OA. TA, OA, and BC are all subsidiaries of MTA. Even though they basically operate as one entity under the DOB umbrella, they are all different legal entities. The job wasn't "handed" to anyone.

That warped mentality right there is the reason why there is a divide between NYCT and MTAB personnel. Smh.......

Mention is made of the TA/MABSTOA merger a few years back.....

Do they still consider the former 'civil service', and the latter, not, for hiring tests? If so how do they differentiate, etc?

Yes they still operate the same, as they have for years. There is absolutely no difference between TA and OA except for the Civil Service status. OA is a wholly owned subsidiary of NYCTA.

I don't ever see the two divisions being "totally" merged. But anything is possible.

So then, 'TA', 'OA', and 'BC' are separate, all owned by MTA?

If it wouldn't be asking too much, could you possibly list what the differences or similarities of the three divisions are currently?

And what difference does 'civil service status' mean if anything?

And then there is LIB, but I've heard MTA is going to divest that division.....

Long Island Bus is a different animal.

Nassau County owns the routes, buses, and facilities, and employs the (MTA) (through the Long Island Bus brand) as a contract carrier. The County has chosen to fire the (MTA) and hire Veolia as its new contract carrier effective at the end of this year.

So then, 'TA', 'OA', and 'BC' are separate, all owned by MTA?

If it wouldn't be asking too much, could you possibly list what the differences or similarities of the three divisions are currently?

And what difference does 'civil service status' mean if anything?

In the late 1950s, the City of New York operated all local service in Staten Island and Brooklyn, about half the local service in Queens, and several routes in Manhattan. Several private companies operated buses in Queens, and the Avenue B and East Broadway Transit Company operated a small Manhattan system, but by far the largest system was the Fifth Avenue Coach Company and Surface Transit, which operated almost all Manhattan routes and all Bronx routes, plus two into Queens (15 Fifth Avene - Jackson Heights and TB Triborough Bridge and one within Queens (16 Elmhurst Crosstown).

After a strike in 1962, the city took over operations. To avoid legal issues, a new agency, the Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority (MaBSTOA)was formed to operate the former Fifth Avenue Coach Lines and Surface Transit, Inc. routes.

The final acquisition was in 1980, when MaBSTOA took over the Avenue B and East Broadway's routes, using MaBSTOA equipment with Avenue B red route roll signs (NYCTA acquired the 13 Grumman Flxibles that had been assigned to Avenue B and placed them in NYCTA service).

Public takeover of the remaining Queens buses, as well as most all express routes, was implemented in 2005 and 2006 by the newly created MTA Bus Company. This division is a wholly owned subsidiary of the MTA just as MaBSTOA is, and was created for the exact same reason. In 2008, the operations of MTA Bus Company, NYC Transit (TA/OA), and Long Island Bus were all merged into MTA Regional Bus Operations.

NYC Transit (NYBOT) was the original public city bus operator, and is therefore governed by the laws of the Civil Service Commission

OA, and BC are wholly owned subsidiaries governed completely by TA, and are thus not subject to Civil Service status.

Civil Service Commission

The New York State Civil Service Commission is composed of three members: the President of the Commission, who is also the head of the Department of Civil Service, and two commissioners. By law, not more than two of the three can be adherents of the same political party. Each serves a term of six years, and vacancies in the Commission are filled by Gubernatorial appointment, upon and with the advice and consent of the Senate, for the unexpired term.

Duties and Powers of the Civil Service Commission

The Commission adopts and modifies rules governing a wide range of State civil service matters. These rules are subject to approval of the Governor and have the force and effect of law. The Commission also hears and determines appeals on such matters as examination qualifications, examination ratings, position classifications, pay grade determinations, disciplinary actions, the use of preferred lists, and requests to continue the employment of individuals who are retired. In addition, the State Civil Service Commission regularly inspects and oversees the operations of municipal Civil Service Commissions and city and county personnel officers.

New York City Department of Buses

New York City Transit

-New York City Transit Authority (TA)- State and city public authority that operates all public transportation in New York City.

-Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority (OA)-Created so that employees would not be subject to civil service employment rules. However, as a practice, all "rank and file" employees such as bus operators, mechanics, and supervisors, have civil service protection like other TA employees. OA also has a separate pension plan from other TA and MTA employees.

MTA Bus Company (BC)- Created for the same purpose as OA, BC is a service of MTA Regional Bus Operations, used on routes previously controlled by the New York City Department of Transportation (NYCDOT), and operated by private operators that provided service under contract to the NYCDOT. Currently, the public distinction between MTA Bus and New York City Bus is only visible on the actual rolling stock and published timetables. The division is controlled completely by the Department of Buses, and the only real differences are the employee passes, the run numbering system, fair collection system, and radio dispatch system.

The latter is all scheduled to be merged together by 2014.

Archived