Clarifying Medical Holds Due to High BP

Donald

So just to clarify: If someone is put on medical hold because they have high blood pressure, they can get a note from a doctor and stil be hired, right? It's not a disqualification that prevents you from ever becoming a conductor, is it?

So just to clarify: If someone is put on medical hold because they have high blood pressure, they can get a note from a doctor and stil be hired, right? It's not a disqualification that prevents you from ever becoming a conductor, is it?

That could be it but expect to get tested every six months for the rest of the persons career down here Now. If its high out of Service or restricted...

Might get pushed back a class as well...

Im sure others will chime in who can help as well.

What happens if you list prescription medication? Do they ask to see the prescription or the physical medication? This is assuming that it is NOT prescription medication that makes you come back positive in the drug test.

What happens if you list prescription medication? Do they ask to see the prescription or the physical medication? This is assuming that it is NOT prescription medication that makes you come back positive in the drug test.

They will not ask you about medications unless you come up positive for something that COULD be related to a medicine (and medicinal marijuana don't count...).

If that happens the MRO will contact you directly and tell you what documentation is needed to support your use of the prescription medicine that caused the false positive. If you substantiate it, the test result will be "negative" and you can continue pre-employment.

If you're actually on something illegal...good night.

so it goes...

So I just started taking drugs to control my high blood pressure. If my BP comes in normal when they take it, will there be anything stopping me from being hired if I am taking drugs to control my BP? Will it be some sort of instant disqualification if I am taking BP drugs?

So I just started taking drugs to control my high blood pressure. If my BP comes in normal when they take it, will there be anything stopping me from being hired if I am taking drugs to control my BP? Will it be some sort of instant disqualification if I am taking BP drugs?

Will taking medication to control your blood pressure instantly disqualify you from becoming an MTA employee? ask yourself, does that even make any sense? I suppose if you are takin an ILLEGAL drug to control your BP then yes that will likely result in a DQ. Just calm down dont lie and youll get into schoolcar. All this nonsence cant be good for your BP. Seriously, I really want to see how youll fare in schoolcar dont screw it up, relax.

They might not hire you because they would not be able to use you for revenue service. They already have tons of high bp train ops and conductors on the platforms.

They might not hire you because they would not be able to use you for revenue service. They already have tons of high bp train ops and conductors on the platforms.

Yup they dont need to hire another person with BP issues..

Its jacked up but thats how it goes.

Then Id suggest Donald get a lawyer (suggested by loco69). If Transit reserves the right to DQ people that can walk, talk and feature all five limbs along with medical clearance from all anomalies, that would be a problem. Somehow I doubt thats the law though.

Then Id suggest Donald get a lawyer (suggested by loco69). If Transit reserves the right to DQ people that can walk, talk and feature all five limbs along with medical clearance from all anomalies, that would be a problem. Somehow I doubt thats the law though.

"Safety Sensitive Title" Do you know what that means?

Heres another word "Authority"..

Did you know that up to a few years ago they wasnt giving us EKG's with our annuals?

They only did it when they was in the pre hiring process, some gentlemen took offense to that(he was close to 60).He filed a age discrimination lawsuit against the MTA regarding that and he Lost...

They can do what the eff they want if you got grounds to take em to court make sure you do. Thats the story here..

"Safety Sensitive Title" Do you know what that means?

Heres another word "Authority"..

Did you know that up to a few years ago they wasnt giving us EKG's with our annuals?

They only did it when they was in the pre hiring process, some gentlemen took offense to that(he was close to 60).He filed a age discrimination lawsuit against the MTA regarding that and he Lost...

They can do what the eff they want if you got grounds to take em to court make sure you do. Thats the story here..

Thats why they ask for medical clearance RTOman. To make sure all health specific issues are under control before hiring you into a safety sensitive title. As far as them saying, "although you have been cleared by your doctors, we choose to not hire you because you have high BP (if your BP is under control, the you do not have high blood pressure)" is yet to be proven. Sure, they can theoretically do whatever they want, afterall its a huge agency vs You, but you have your rights. The guy you mentioned about the EKG was not within his rights to protest, thats common sense. A lawyer however, will take any case no matter how stupid it is. Thats what they do.

I only suggested hiring a lawyer for non medically related issues such

as filling out your paperwork, etc. Or to that guy who got dq'd solely based

in the 1 in 3 rule on the 8006 O/C B/O list which can be appealed as it was

stated in the letter mailed to him by the MTA.

I only suggested hiring a lawyer for non medically related issues such

as filling out your paperwork, etc. Or to that guy who got dq'd solely based

in the 1 in 3 rule on the 8006 O/C B/O list which can be appealed as it was

stated in the letter mailed to him by the MTA.

Yes loco, you did specifically state that but it still applies if you are within your rights and boundaries. So tue fact remains.

So RTOman and cdi, are you saying that even if my blood pressure is PERFECTLY NORMAL I can be disqualified if I take blood pressure drugs? Now your making me nervous. I PMed a popular forum member here last night who went through the same ordeal in regards to his BP, and he said that taking BP meds is ok. He told me the dollowing (I'm witholding his name since it was a private conversation):

"As long as you tell them what medication you take and you are below 150/90,everything is fine.DO NOT for any reason STOP taking the medication.

DO NOT say that you have sleep apnea,drink or have headaches of any kind."

So RTOman and cdi, are you saying that even if my blood pressure is PERFECTLY NORMAL I can be disqualified if I take blood pressure drugs? Now your making me nervous. I PMed a popular forum member here last night who went through the same ordeal in regards to his BP, and he said that taking BP meds is ok. He told me the dollowing (I'm witholding his name since it was a private conversation):

"As long as you tell them what medication you take and you are below 150/90,everything is fine.DO NOT for any reason STOP taking the medication.

DO NOT say that you have sleep apnea,drink or have headaches of any kind."

Listen donald I know a lot of people have given you shit on this site me included. But don't let anyone discourage you from anything. Yes these guys work with TA already so they assume they have some insight on hiring practices, but they don't. Just get your clearance for BP from your doctor and see what happens. If your doctor clears you to work, it's illegal for them to not hire you because of your BP issues, simply because they have other employees with similar issues. And as someone else pointed out, if you feel you weren't hired because of it, fight it in court. I just really hate when I see people try and discourage someone, that shit is not cool.

The mta can reject anyone applicant

and they don't have to give a reason .

The mta can reject anyone applicant

and they don't have to give a reason .

Stop your nonsense, why would Transit leave themselves open for a lawsuit?. They need a reason even if it's false one. As a whole they aren't going to give some single nimrod stuck in an office all day the right to DQ you based on his/her personal preference. And if it's a false reason there and then should one consider the service of a lawyer. So until communist China takes over thats the way the cookie will crumble in America and that's that, dont drag it.

Stop your nonsense, why would Transit leave themselves open for a lawsuit?. They need a reason even if it's false one. As a whole they aren't going to give some single nimrod stuck in an office all day the right to DQ you based on his/her personal preference. And if it's a false reason there and then should one consider the service of a lawyer. So until communist China takes over thats the way the cookie will crumble in America and that's that, dont drag it.

Xentor you should do more research before you say anything . Obviously you are not familiar with the 1 in 3 rule . Not everyone that gets called must be hired . The 1 in 3 rule means in a group of 3 one person must be hired and that is per civil service law this doesn't mean all 3 are guaranteed a job . Which means transit can pick and choose who they hire . As long as they do not violate the federal discrimination laws such as race color creed sexual orientation etc... They do not have to give you a reason why they didn't hire you all they simply must say is you were considered but not selected . There is some food for thought mr know it all xentor.

Xentor you should do more research before you say anything . Obviously you are not familiar with the 1 in 3 rule . Not everyone that gets called must be hired . The 1 in 3 rule means in a group of 3 one person must be hired and that is per civil service law this doesn't mean all 3 are guaranteed a job . Which means transit can pick and choose who they hire . As long as they do not violate the federal discrimination laws such as race color creed sexual orientation etc... They do not have to give you a reason why they didn't hire you all they simply must say is you were considered but not selected . There is some food for thought mr know it all xentor.

Then that would be the REASON primo. You can still take that to court because thats more commonly used on promotionals to weed out weaker candidates that might otherwise prevent a higher performing but lower list number from attaining a promotion. While blatherskite had to sit you down and take you to school and give you homework, I just use common sense. Employees take Transit to town all the time especially for misapplying the 1-3 rule. You see if I worked at livingston I'de 1-3 you and pass you by (god knows I would) based on personal preference and misapply the rule. And that's why it's always open to lawsuits so they must always have a good reason. Bye!

The 1 in 3 used is used for promotionals and open competitive appts . No reason is needed to reject someone and if you can find where in that law it says a reason must be given I would love to see it . You seem to have that know it all attitude so why don't you prove what you say instead of talking a bunch of nonsense you are just talking out of your

Axx try backing up what you say . And aren't you the one that spread rumors about the promotional list being exhausted when it wasn't then admitted you made it up ??? Hmmm I would say that would damage your credibility try backing up what you say if you are gonna debate make sure you know what you are talking about .

Okay okay enough of the argument already, just agree to disagree and move on already. But the 1 in 3 would most likely be used before the medical process. Once you reach the medical processing stage of hiring, you pretty much have been selected for the job. You just have to clear the medical. Because once you clear the medical you go to final processing and have you pass picture taken and given a start date, that's it. TA can't 1 in 3 you because of BP issues. The only reason they could try and use is you were DQ'd because of high BP. But if your own doctor cleared you for work and gives your medical background to TA they can't reject you. If they did and tried some BS it would be illegal and you could try them in court for it. I mean TA's qwacks may try and discourage you at the time of the medical hold is given to you. By telling you C/R's work long hours and people with High BP might not last a year because of the stress and long hours of the job blah blah blah. That's the story they tried feeding me with my insulin dependent diabetes. I got the hold cleared but decided to not pursue the C/R job because I didn't really want the job in the first place.

Archived