A Break on Your MetroCard Because of the Storm (Irene)? MTA Says No

Shortline Bus

A Break on Your MetroCard Because of the Storm? M.T.A. Says No

By MICHAEL M. GRYNBAUM

NY Times Reporter

August 27, 2011

It may not be the first question on the minds of New Yorkers as Hurricane Irene moves into the region on Saturday. But judging from Twitter and e-mails from readers, many cannot help but wonder:

“Is the M.T.A. going to give us all an extra couple days on our unlimited MetroCards?”

The city’s subways, of course, are set to begin shutting down around noon on Saturday, part of a pre-emptive plan by the Metropolitan Transportation Authority to preserve the city’s mass transit network. The system may not resume operation until Monday morning or later.

That means there will be about 36 to 48 hours during which mass transit riders cannot make use of the system — even though many have already paid the full $104 for their 30-day unlimited passes.

An inquiry was made to the transportation authority: are there any preliminary plans for an extension on the card?

The reply came back within the hour: “No.”

There you have it, folks.

To be fair, the authority has already waived fares on its buses throughout the city. And tolls have been suspended on several bridges, including the Verrazano-Narrows Bridge to Staten Island, and two bridges to the Rockaways: the Cross Bay Veterans Memorial Bridge and the Marine Parkway-Gil Hodges Memorial Bridge.

The authority also said it would waive the fares for subway and commuter rail riders who board at stations within the mandatory evacuation areas."

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/08/27/a-break-on-your-metrocard-because-of-the-storm-m-t-a-says-no/

Well there's Garibaldi's answer....

LOL... Well apparently quite a few straphangers have been writing into NY1 about this topic and they think that they should be refunded as well OR that the (MTA) should honor the Unlimited Metrocards for an additional 2 days. I was listening to The Call tonight on NY1 and quite a few straphangers are pissed. I've thought about it and I still stand by my original response from the other day and I'll leave it at that since this was already discussed.

I think it's rather funny that now they're saying that even if they had to, they couldn't extend the dates on Metrocards because it would take to long, etc., etc. I certainly recall them doing just that during the strike... I smell a rat here in any case. I just got my monies back for those two days from Amex. Screw that. Didn't even have to dispute it either. :cool:

The thing that makes it so funny is they are dead serious... Wow...

I probably would've let it slide had they went about it differently. They're not losing anything because their insurance will more than likely cover the loses and all of these free rides that they gave out, I didn't get one, not that I was looking for one anyway. In fact I had to spend monies to get around since there was no service, so yeah, I'm dead serious about it and if they do it again, I'll get my money back again.

Aside from that you guys don't even pay to use the system anyway, so of course you don't see the problem with it and neither would I if I was in your shoes. I mean transit workers shouldn't have to pay to get around, but this is a service just like any other service. If I don't have phone service for a certain amount of days, I am not going to pay the full bill and would expect a pro-rated bill. This is the same thing.

But you don't get billed for using the subway/bus...

But we PAY in advance to use the service. That's the point. We've already paid for the service when we buy Unlimited Metrocards, and in this case, we did not receive the service we paid for for two days, which therefore means that we are entitled to either get those two days back, or get a pro-rated refund, because we had nothing to do with service being suspended. You can blame the hurricance or whatever, but the fact of the matter is we paid for a service and didn't receive that service.

They've always got a story when it comes to Unlimited Metrocards anyway, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :cool: They think they're real slick. You are more than welcome to let them steal your money, but they're not getting an extra dime out of me.

But we PAY in advance to use the service. That's the point. We've already paid for the service when we buy Unlimited Metrocards, and in this case, we did not receive the service we paid for for two days, which therefore means that we are entitled to either get those two days back, or get a pro-rated refund, because we had nothing to do with service being suspended. You can blame the hurricance or whatever, but the fact of the matter is we paid for a service and didn't receive that service.

Honestly that sounds really absurd. I mean especially since they let us use the service for free before and the day after the storm. I mean do you purge for your money back when you simply don't use the system that day too? Under that logic it would make sense because you paid for it but didn't use the service that day. And how would you have reacted had they kept things open, you used it and you found yourself with the line you needed suspended or rerouted due to flooding in certain railbeds or downed signals?

Also if the power went out, what then? Oh the best one what if you're on the train it gets stalled somewhere and you have to evacuate the train? By then you're ready for a refund because you paid for the service and then it was shitty that day. I could go on. Anyone who would have tried to travel in that storm when they didn't have to now pushing for extra days on the metrocard is being unreasonable at this point

Everyone was off for 2 days. It was like a weekend. You don't use a Metrocard on a weekend, or on a day you are off so do you get extra days for that too? The stupidity, and ignorance of some people. It's this modern day ignorance that will send the (MTA) into another dark era. I don't get New Yorkers even though I am one. Everyone in this city are either crazy or bipolar.

Some people were off for 2 days (not everybody gets weekends off and would be expected in regardless of weather). It was the weekend. Say you don't use your Metrocard on a weekend, or on a day you are off just because so would you get extra days for that too? The stupidity, and ignorance of some people. It's this modern day ignorance that will send the (MTA) into another dark era. I don't get New Yorkers even though I am one. Everyone in this city are either crazy or bipolar.

I just made you sound more credible. You're welcome.

I got me a monthly before the storm and often times, I dont even go out during the weekend. So I'm not really affected by this.

oh but dude...those days you didn't use the system you were not getting a service you paid for in advance...you should totally be brooklyn raging for a refund... /sarcasm

Honestly that sounds really absurd. I mean especially since they let us use the service for free before and the day after the storm. I mean do you purge for your money back when you simply don't use the system that day too? Under that logic it would make sense because you paid for it but didn't use the service that day. And how would you have reacted had they kept things open, you used it and you found yourself with the line you needed suspended or rerouted due to flooding in certain railbeds or downed signals?

Also if the power went out, what then? Oh the best one what if you're on the train it gets stalled somewhere and you have to evacuate the train? By then you're ready for a refund because you paid for the service and then it was shitty that day. I could go on. Anyone who would have tried to travel in that storm when they didn't have to now pushing for extra days on the metrocard is being unreasonable at this point

Well, I guess it is thousands of us that are being unreasonable. My point is I understand the reason for shutting down the system and all and that's fine, but there are people who had things to do before the storm and had to travel and had to spend additional funds to do so when they already paid for transportation, so in that instance the proper thing to do is to say that we're going to shut down the system for safety purposes and we understand that many people may have to spend additional monies to get around, so we're going to extend the use of the cards in this instance for those two days seeing that the system was shut down. I think that's pretty reasonable. I mean they can't dictate to people how they go about their business and I often times have things I need to take care of for work, so I can't just not take care of my priorities because they shut down the system.

As far as free rides go, people with Unlimited Metrocards are not getting a free ride if they already have an Unlimited card. I also should point out that I recall them doing something similar during the strike they had for those three days a few years back where folks were able to use their cards for an additional amount of time, but suddenly they can't do it now.

Well, I guess it is thousands of us that are being unreasonable. My point is I understand the reason for shutting down the system and all and that's fine, but there are people who had things to do before the storm and had to travel and had to spend additional funds to do so when they already paid for transportation, so in that instance the proper thing to do is to say that we're going to shut down the system for safety purposes and we understand that many people may have to spend additional monies to get around, so we're going to extend the use of the cards in this instance for those two days seeing that the system was shut down. I think that's pretty reasonable. I mean they can't dictate to people how they go about their business and I often times have things I need to take care of for work, so I can't just not take care of my priorities because they shut down the system.

As far as free rides go, people with Unlimited Metrocards are not getting a free ride if they already have an Unlimited card. I also should point out that I recall them doing something similar during the strike they had for those three days a few years back where folks were able to use their cards for an additional amount of time, but suddenly they can't do it now.

Ok simple question. How long did the strike last? And let's be reminded of the nature of a strike period.

System being shut down because employees refuse to work for a reason is totally different from the system being shut down due to a natural disaster causing weather condition. And yes thousands of you are being unreasonable.

Ok simple question. How long did the strike last? And let's be reminded of the nature of a strike period.

System being shut down because employees refuse to work for a reason is totally different from the system being shut down due to a natural disaster causing weather condition. And yes thousands of you are being unreasonable.

The strike lasted 3 days. The shutdown here lasted about 2 days. What is interesting is that now they can't extend the use of the Unlimited Metrocards, but they could back then? That's one reason that they're giving as to why they're refusing, which is clearly a lie if they did it back then. It's like hey, let's be honest here, but no they come out with a BS story and expect us to just lap it up and say oh yeah okay sure. We'll believe anything you say because we're guillable and stupid. That's the part that I think pisses me moreso than the actually money. It's more about the principle and if they call themselves being transparent then they've got no reason to BS. Just be honest and I would've said okay fine, it's cool, but instead they come out with this nonsense.

They've always got a story when it comes to Unlimited Metrocards anyway, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :cool: They think they're real slick. You are more than welcome to let them steal your money, but they're not getting an extra dime out of me.

You really sound like a Looney Toon. A strike vs. Nature? One was the MTA's fault, and one was not.

You are NOT entitled to anything. That's your whole problem. You think the world revolves around Garibaldi. Breaking News! It doesn't!

You are NOT getting your money back. Get over it! Would you like me to personally give you $10 towards the purchase of your next MC?

Stand Clear Closing

Archived