MTA Makes The Right Decision To Shut Down The System

BrooklynBus

Absolutely agree. The weather forecasters were correct in predicting that Irene would directly hit New York City - it was only a stroke of luck that it had degraded to a tropical storm by Sunday morning. Kudos to MTA management for having the guts to make an unpopular but entirely sensible decision, and of course to the dedicated employees who carried it out.

if nothing else it was the right decision because it encouraged people to NOT GO OUT in the storm - especially the employees who would have been needed to keep the system running, and those riders dumb enough to decide whatever they were going to do outside was more important than being safe.

Now we know the other reason why they were so quick to shut down this time aside from the blizzard last winter: They could not get insurance to cover damage or catastrophes, and as noted elsewhere, we could have seen a lawsuit that could have bankrupted the MTA, city and state if someone died in a repeat of what happened during the blizzard.

They did the right thing, as many of those who complained simply do not understand why the system was shut down like it was.

Better safe than sorry. Besides flooding has been a problem with the system lately in just normal rain storms anyway. I didn't even want to imagine the trains running in the hurricane. I had no problems with the shut down. It was just bizarre. I guess a first time for everything huh.

if nothing else it was the right decision because it encouraged people to NOT GO OUT in the storm - especially the employees who would have been needed to keep the system running,

Im sorry i Beg to differ trust me on this....

Common Sense>MTA rearding its Hourly Titled Employees...

Now we know the other reason why they were so quick to shut down this time aside from the blizzard last winter: They could not get insurance to cover damage or catastrophes, and as noted elsewhere, we could have seen a lawsuit that could have bankrupted the MTA, city and state if someone died in a repeat of what happened during the blizzard.

They did the right thing, as many of those who complained simply do not understand why the system was shut down like it was.

The insurance the article discusses does not pertain to liability.

However, the alternative of leaving the system operational, poses the risk of flooded buses or passengers stranded for hours in subway trains, as was the case this past winter, a situation the MTA desperately wanted to avoid again. It is also much easier to get the system up and running once the storm is over, after a complete shutdown with all the equipment in safe locations and undamaged.

This part of the article alone is the main reason why I absolutely agreed with the shutdown of the system. Get all passengers, personnel and equipment out the way of the weather system.

While most of us here on the boards agree the (MTA) made the right call, still i seen on the local nyc tv newscasts and sites like the Daily News online comment section of readers, some riders b*tching that the subways/buses/regional rails not running.

Yet they would be the same people going nuts if the trains got damaged due to flooding. Can't please everyone in this world.:confused:

While most of us here on the boards agree the (MTA) made the right call, still i seen on the local nyc tv newscasts and sites like the Daily News online comment section of readers, some riders b*tching that the subways/buses/regional rails not running.

Yet they would be the same people going nuts if the trains got damaged due to flooding. Can't please everyone in this world.:confused:

thank god they did that. the storm was so big and powerful and even if it hit as a TS that didnt mean anything. we had heavy rain and high wind even before it hit NJ and all that rain flooded alot of the low line areas, and some areas had over 3 feet of water/ the (3) at len term. they also had a lot of tress down over tracks. so they did a good job

They made the right call. Coney island yard flooded. Weschester yard flooded. Lenox flooded. It made it easier to get things up and running with out having to do reroutes or deal with passengers. By the way employees still had to come to work sat, sun and mon.

They made the right call. Coney island yard flooded. Weschester yard flooded. Lenox flooded. It made it easier to get things up and running with out having to do reroutes or deal with passengers. By the way employees still had to come to work sat, sun and mon.

Yup i was at work all three days...

Yup i was at work all three days...

Seriously?? What did they have you do during the storm? That does explain howe the system was up and running so quickly, but did they expect you to drive in during the storm? WHat if you normally take mass transit to work?

Seriously?? What did they have you do during the storm? That does explain howe the system was up and running so quickly, but did they expect you to drive in during the storm? WHat if you normally take mass transit to work?

Seriously does it matter if he was scratching his balls or taking a 2 hr dump, All that matters was that he was getting paid and risking his ass so you could get to work Monday.

Next time grab a bike and ride to work if your gonna complain. SERIOUSLY

Seriously does it matter if he was scratching his balls or taking a 2 hr dump, All that matters was that he was getting paid and risking his ass so you could get to work Monday.

Um, complaining was the furthest thing from what I was writing. I was incredulous that the MTA made him come in in the insane weather and "risk his ass". As I said, it is only becuase of the mta employee efforts that service was so great on Monday. I am impressed he was even able to get into work. No one complaining here, so chill.

I'll just copy what I wrote about this on the Too Smart To Fail Message Board:

While some obviously were inconvenienced and some even potentially faced disciplinary action for not being able to come in to work if scheduled due to Irene, this, coupled with the fact we live in a much more lawsuit-happy society than we had in 1985 (when Gloria hit) are why the MTA did the right thing, especially since at the time the shutdown was ordered, Irene was forecast to hit New York as a Category 2 hurricane (and actually did directly hit Manhattan as a tropical storm). Had the buses and subways continued and the storm hit as originally forecast, there could have been the potential for hundreds, if not thousands of deaths or serious injuries from people stuck on trains much like what actually happened during the Christmas blizzard as well as on buses stuck by falling trees or other items. The lawsuits could have potentially bankrupted New York as well as the MTA, which is something few people understand, as there are FAR more "ambulance chasers" than there were in 1985.

While obviously no one died from being stuck on a Subway in the Christmas Blizzard, anyone who saw the footage of water flowing through the tracks at the Trenton station on NJ Transit would immediately realize what kind of a threat that was at play from this storm. The people to me who complained were likely those who in some cases had completely unsympathetic bosses who still wanted them at work, not understanding the magnitude of the storm we had.

Yep i did what i had to do then when service was getting ready to start you polish rails(Take a light train up and down the line) and Ok trains for customer service...

Never rode a hurricane out before until Irene...

He isnt complaining hes just surprised that the ones we work for have that "Come to work no matter what" attitude...

Archived