The Millennium RTS Discussion

East New York

NYC Transit Forums Exclusive!

Let's get ready to rumble!

A key player in the "RTS Turn-Around Movement" has been working on several projects over the last year. None more secretive than the two I am about to publicly unveil for the first time!

Although the RTS has not officially re-entered the market, it appears that the time is near! With an MTS coach scheduled to make a "surprise" appearance at APTA in little more than 30 days, the writing is all but on the wall!

Several of the top 100 transit agencies in the country have had an opportunity to take a behind the scenes look at the new RTS line-up currently in the works.

Team members of the The Advanced RTS Validation Program, (ARVP) have been working tirelessly to introduce the next generation of the RTS.

Over the past 2 years, the ARVP founder has been engineering the perfect bus for the world's #1 RTS customer.

Ladies and gentleman! It is a great honor to introduce the newest kids on the block!

[GMAPS][/GMAPS]

The 42.5 foot RTS T42-209 "Legend XL" High Floor

T42-209MTA2500.jpg

RTSExpressInterior.jpg

The 42.5 foot RTS T42-210 "Extreme BRT" Low Floor

T42-210MTA4705.jpg

RTSLowFloorInterior.jpg

More seats, more capacity, and superior durability!

Need a mobile generator? The plan is for most all new RTS models to be mobile generators that could power up to 4 small houses. Perfect for natural disasters, and other emergencies!

Perfect for the (MTA). I'm keeping my fingers crossed, and pray to God they order them!!:cool:

The preliminary design concepts, for the planned Series -11 high floor, and Series -12 low floor redesign have basically been completed. Although I cannot post the renderings of the redesign, I must say she looks damn good! Finally an RTS design for the 21st century! Let's hope it makes it off the drawing board and into production!

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yesterday, I rode on one of the MBTAs RTSs built in 1995. The BO had a difficult time starting the engine, and it died 5 or 6 times, but finally he was able to get the vehicle going.

At that point, I thought of MTS - hoping they would get off the ground. Fantastic!!

The bus looks horrendous.

I'm not big on RTS' so much and that new front really kills everything for me.

If the front was anything like the faces on the current buses we have then maybe I'd have a different opinion.

As a Driver i know that the bus are built tough and i prefer a RTS over the other trash. I would have like to seen a more updated front, that bumper is horrible and only waiting to see the rear, also if there is a way to make the bus with no carpet on seats and wall, and drain ports so the bus can interior can be power washed would be great.

I forwarded the pictures to an ex GM guy, here was his response;

"The design of the RTS does not lend itself to many changes as it is a very highly tooled product based on original GM designs and tooling. The design shown in the photograph is for the t-drive configuration that Nova Bus started and later discontinued when Volvo decided the product was too heavy and expensive to continue re-design changing the RTS from a v-drive to a t-drive engine configuration. There were also several structural items that showed up in the initial durability testing of this design.

The reason there appears to be no design change on the front and back is because the cost to make such changes. The front end is stainless steel and again highly tooled that requires significant costs to change. The bus has not been shaker tested in this configuration."

That being said, I hope they get a shot.

If the front was anything like the faces on the current buses we have then maybe I'd have a different opinion.

The RTS will have a lower maintenance cost than any other bus around. Because of the structure, and design staying the same for the most part, MTA and countless other agencies already have massive stockpiles of good RTS parts. A redesign concept is already off the drawing board. The classic styling will likely remain the same for some time to come.

As a Driver i know that the bus are built tough and i prefer a RTS over the other trash. I would have like to seen a more updated front, that bumper is horrible and only waiting to see the rear, also if there is a way to make the bus with no carpet on seats and wall, and drain ports so the bus can interior can be power washed would be great.

All those decisions are up to the customer.

So....when are we gonna see them???

The high floor demo should make its way to the east cost by January if all goes as planned.

The low floor, which is at Altoona has to complete final testing. Projected demo offering would be Q2 2012.

I forwarded the pictures to an ex GM guy, here was his response;

"The design of the RTS does not lend itself to many changes as it is a very highly tooled product based on original GM designs and tooling. The design shown in the photograph is for the t-drive configuration that Nova Bus started and later discontinued when Volvo decided the product was too heavy and expensive to continue re-design changing the RTS from a v-drive to a t-drive engine configuration. There were also several structural items that showed up in the initial durability testing of this design.

The reason there appears to be no design change on the front and back is because the cost to make such changes. The front end is stainless steel and again highly tooled that requires significant costs to change. The bus has not been shaker tested in this configuration."

That being said, I hope they get a shot.

Thanks! That's actually 98% true. The MTS high floor has been shaker tested and there are currently more than 2 dozen in service.

The low floor has the exact same structure as the high floor, and technically does not need to be shaker tested. However, because it is an RTS, it will be just to prove a point. It will be tested beyond the limits of any RTS to date.

From the exterior, the windows are the only clue as to which is a high floor, and which is a low floor.

I actually like the old RTS' in terms of design, but this thing looks like someone was asleep at the wheel. :eek: :eek:

Yeah, I agree about a way to clean the interiors better... These new buses are so filthy.

So are you saying any future RTS' we may get will have the same front face as the current ones that we have do?

No, they would be the wide front door models seen in the photos. The redesign is planned for 2013-2014.

I actually like the old RTS' in terms of design, but this thing looks like so one was asleep at the wheel. :eek: :eek:

This front end design has been in service since 1995. MTA never opted for the wide front door model. They stuck with the classic narrow front door.

DARTRTSWFD.jpg

DARTBusinWater.jpg

This front end design has been in service since 1995. MTA never opted for the wide front door model. They stuck with the classic narrow front door.

Interesting... These buses look more like they're for express bus service though. I assume the seats would be different for local bus service no?

No, they would be the wide front door models seen in the photos. The redesign is planned for 2013-2014.

So how many companies have RTS with front door wheelchairs.

I don't mind the wide front doors, I mind how the headlights now stick out like a fat bottom lip...

I agree. I don't like the design either. Never have!

Interesting... These buses look more like they're for express bus service though. I assume the seats would be different for local bus service no?

Go back to the first post. Those are 2 different models. The high floor, and the low floor. The HF has suburban express seating, and the LF has standard transit seating. The seating arrangement and type is up the the customer. Most all high floor buses will likely be for express service, and the low floor for local. However, there is a planned option for a low floor express as well. Again, that's up to the individual customer's specifications.

So how many companies have RTS with front door wheelchairs.

There are more, but off the top of my head, the past and present operators were Cleveland, Chicago, Dallas, Syracuse, San Francisco, All Canadian agencies except TTC (WFD but with standard rear lift), Honolulu, Puerto Rico, Detroit, etc.

Archived