The Millennium RTS Discussion

East New York

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If these RTS buses MTS is building comes with Cummins ISL engines and has a low floor option then I think Lynx might be interested in it. Wouldn't hurt the add a little variety here and there. At the same time I wish MTS the best of luck.

All that info is on the product page on the MTS website and in this thread. Cummins is the only option unless its a Bluways hybrid witch is also available with a Ford V10. And it clearly states there is a low floor option as well. Read the first post in this thread, and the update from yesterday.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The official proposal for the next generation 42.5 foot RTS Express Suburban has been submitted to the MTA for review. Should the MTA accept, we could see a 2012 RTS in New York City in as little as 4 months! All I can say is God Bless MTS for their commitment to continue the legend!:cool:

Thanks to everyone at MTS, and those getting this info to us.

If MTA buys these buses, no doubt other operators will do the same.B)

There are now 46 operators interested in the new high floor express. So even if MTA decides not to order, there are plenty of others lined up wanting to claim production slots.

In other news, the RTS Extreme low floor is scheduled to make its way back to Roswell from Altoona on Thursday. The bus might be overhauled, then sent back to Altoona to complete certification, shaker, and/or crash testing. I can't wait to see this bus in person!

• 2 weeks later...
Millennium Transit - The new low entry project includes designs for a 32.5-foot, 35-foot, 40-foot and 42.5-foot low floor bus utilizing a T-drive engine configuration. The RTS Extreme design incorporates a similar design philosophy as the RTS Legend, using a welded, modular stainless steel body construction. The major objectives of the new bus design are to meet customer requirements including a more conventional rear centered T-drive engine offering, at a lower cost than comparable competitive products and provide larger engines, no rear facing seats and an increase in passenger seating capacity. The RTS Extreme is a standard rear drive high floor with a lowered middle and front section of the bus. This lowered area allows the benefits of the low floor entry and exit, but also the standard driveline equipment. Management is utilizing a product development program that incorporates a gate approval process.

The program involves stages where prototypes are designed and built and preliminary performance tests are conducted on the durability test track and on select customer routes. Customer feedback sessions will be held and market surveys conducted to ensure key customer acceptance and retention for the new product. The project includes review of documentation and testing data, vendor involvement startup, testing completion, production documentation development, quality standards, prototype builds and final reviews. Millennium Transit's strategy is to partner with a valued customer for the final testing and approval of the design.

Millennium Transit and the customer will agree to a pre-determined period of time to operate the vehicle on a test basis. The customer will be involved in the design review process during development of the vehicle as well as post-delivery reviews. The company has begun the development of the RTS Extreme.

Millennium Transit Services: The RTS Extreme

The 40ft RTS Extreme Low Floor has made her way back home to the Roswell facility. As many may know, she has been at Altoona's testing facility for quite some time now. The bus will now undergo a full inspection from top to bottom. This bus is expected to undergo further testing and evaluation. A new 42.5 foot model would then be built as well. This bus would enter MTS' Advanced RTS Validation Program alongside its 6 and a half year old sister.

That bus would go to Altoona for final configuration testing, and hit the road for its demo debut tour.

So would this 40 foot LF test bus be the one built in 2005? From your posts I gather that MTS has been (re-)testing the old LF demo, and plans to build a new 42.5 foot LF for further testing. Has the 40 foot been significantly modified since its first jaunt at Altoona all those years ago?

So would this 40 foot LF test bus be the one built in 2005? From your posts I gather that MTS has been (re-)testing the old LF demo, and plans to build a new 42.5 foot LF for further testing. Has the 40 foot been significantly modified since its first jaunt at Altoona all those years ago?

Yes, it is the infamous Millennium low floor. The bus is almost 7 years old now. The engine, fan drive, wiring, and suspension specifications have changed. It also appears as those windows will be updated as well. Frameless is on the table. Could you imagine what that would look like on an RTS? Both the 40 footer, and the 42.5 footer already built will be retained as engineering demos only, and will never see revenue service.

• 3 weeks later...

Well ladies and gentleman, it is now official. MTA has reviewed the preliminary proposal for the 42.5 foot high floor (suburban) express buses, and will meet with MTS representatives about the proposal in January.:cool: At that time, MTS reps are expected to give a full proposal presentation. I am also being told that MTS is planning to have a WFD model on hand as part of the presentation.

MTS is also in the final stages of the preliminary low floor (transit) proposal, which will now be included along with that of the high floor. It was originally thought that MTS would not include a proposal for 42.5 foot low floors this soon, but it appears as if they are are ready to move forward! I am also being told that the low floor will definitely be upgraded, and will look different from the 2 prototypes that everyone has seen in these threads. The production buses are also to have an EPA13 Cummins ISL.

I don't have anymore details at this time, but as this story develops, I will be sure to post updates.

As I'm sure you know, the original RTS 01 and 03 models and some 04 buses were built with frameless windows.

Yes, I definitely remember those! I can't wait to see what it looks like on the low floor!

• 3 weeks later...

Update

January 2, 2012

Next week, history will be made when MTS representatives meet with the MTA for the first time. Full details of the meeting are unknown. I have however been able to confirm a few details. The MTS presentation will include both the 42.5 foot high-floor Express, and 42.5 foot low-floor Extreme BRT. Let's get into a little background information first.

While a few people are concerned with MTS' ability to deliver buses in a timely fashion, and deal with an agency the size of MTA, MTS says they have it all under control. Most opinions and concerns are based on the actions of previous management when the company was formed. Some insides however, have complete confidence in the team that is in place. I am one of them.

Many do not know that the current MTS team is made up of RTS veterans that stretch all the bay back to GMC. That's right! The team has 4 decades of RTS knowledge under their belts. From GMC to TMC/MCI and Nova. This is arguably the best team ever to head up RTS projects. From the roots of GMC to the proven RTS Legend buses on the road built by Millennium, it has been said that these are the best RTS buses that have ever been built. The current operators (all of them) have also stated that their Legend buses, which are now midlife have performed better than any other buses they have ever had. The buses even had quite a few teething problems when delivered. These problems have since been corrected, and the buses have basically performed flawlessly. MTS was also one of few manufactures that did not have its bus trucked in to APTA 2011. The bus was driven to and from TAMU.

So, while many people ask why MTA first? Why not the little guys? The answer is simple. If MTS can make it in New York, they can make it anywhere! They have already proven they can build damn good buses, so now it's time to start with MTA and take it global. It may also come as a surprise to all, but NJT is at the top of the list as well.:)

MTA Bus Test & Evaluation Preliminary Specifications

90 MTS RTS T42-209 "Express" : 42.5 foot, 49 seat high floor 1 door suburban

EPA 2010 Cummins ISL-9

Allison B400R

Thermo King roof mount HVAC

Hanover Displays OL destination signs

4One suburban seating

Electronic fan drive & cooling system

LED stop, tail, auxiliary, marker, and turn signals

Classic RTS sealed beam headlamps

All wheel disk brakes with ABS

Lift-U front door wheelchair step-lift

90 MTS RTS T42-210 "Extreme" : 42.5 foot, 41 seat (62 standee) low floor

EPA 2013 Cummins ISL-9

Allison B400R & ZF Ecolife mix (subject to change)

Thermo King roof mount HVAC

Hanover Displays OL & Luminator Titan destination sign mix (subject to change)

4One transit seating

Electronic fan drive & cooling system

LED stop, tail, auxiliary, marker, and turn signals

Classic RTS sealed beam headlamps

All wheel disk brakes with ABS

Lift-U front door wheelchair ramp

The 42.5 foot RTS T42-209 "Express" High Floor

T42-209MTA2500.jpg

RTSExpressInterior.jpg

The 42.5 foot RTS T42-210 "Extreme BRT" Low Floor

T42-210MTA4705.jpg

RTSLowFloorInterior.jpg

An Allison B400 in a RTS!?!?

Unheard of!!

I know... thank the good Lord for the RTS now being a T-drive bus, the NUMERO UNO problem I had with those buses is the leg room in the rear of the bus, and they fixed that problem. Now I cannot wait to see the RTS Xtreme (I wanna call it the RTS LF...) hit the streets. I hope the RTS stays as successful like in the 80's and 90's.

Archived