The Millennium RTS Discussion

East New York

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah that's what I was mentioning, I've seen an NG go through, but since the technical rule is too low, they won't take the legal risk of an in-service bus going through (at least not yet they won't).

Which is true. The reason from what I heard is the turn going through the underpass would scrape the top of the buses, but I dunno. I see them go through and I'm like "SO THEY CAN GO THROUGH!"

Just thinking of MJQ and RTSes, how tall are these buses? Reason I ask is the TA has a problem on their hands with the M66/M72 since all the Orions are too tall for the overpass, only thing that fits there is an RTS or I'd think an LFS, so the TA is gonna have to do some thinking relatively soon about just what MJQ is gonna run. I get the feeling they (cough, Bloomberg) aren't gonna love the Manhattan headquarters running 15, 16, 17 y/o buses on the streets. They sure pushed 14 y/o buses out of MHV as fast as they could, and they're trying at 126. Wonder what the plan is for Quill.

The buses are the same height as all other RTS' with the exception og the roof-mount HVAC system. I would have to look up the specs to see the exact height.

That's what the whole BTE process is all about, to figure out what will replace the legendary RTS for the next 10 to 15 years...

Im starting to think that nothing but a new RTS will replace them in some areas of the city.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: MTS received general specifications from the MTA just after the meeting in January. At this time, MTS has completed the revised High Floor Express proposal, and started on the Low Floor transit proposal. It is unknown when MTS will re-submit the HF proposal, or forward the LF proposal. The third round of talks is expected soon!:cool:

Update: MTS received general specifications from the MTA just after the meeting in January. At this time, MTS has completed the revised High Floor Express proposal, and started on the Low Floor transit proposal. It is unknown when MTS will re-submit the HF proposal, or forward the LF proposal. The third round of talks is expected soon!:cool:

Hell yeah. I saw MTS a little bit back, and I said to myself "MTA has to get these."

Is the contract final, or are there still delegations going on in regards to the high-floor version, specifcally. The buses are supposed to be coming around now, right? :drool:

No, the initial time table had the high floor express demo scheduled for spring, but that's not going to happen. MTA is waiting on MTS to submit the revised proposal as of right now. A couple items were changed. I think it was only the seats and destination signs though. I will have to check and see.

After the MTA gets the next proposal, I would expect to hear more then. The high floor is the easy part. The only things that will be new to MTA is the fact that the bus is longer, and only has one door. The wheelbase is the same as the Nova's, and the power train is the same as the Xcelsiors, and similar to the MCI's so training will be simple. Word on the street is they would go to UP and YU. I however think QV (which has the least populated express routes) should get a batch.

Terms, conditions, and specs for the low floors however will be quite interesting. But the most interesting part to me is which depots the low floors would go to. Some say the same as the current test fleets, and others seem to think they could end up elsewhere.

I personally think MJQ would benefit from having them for the M34 and M42.

No, the initial time table had the high floor express demo scheduled for spring, but that's not going to happen. MTA is waiting on MTS to submit the revised proposal as of right now. A couple items were changed. I think it was only the seats and destination signs though. I will have to check and see.

After the MTA gets the next proposal, I would expect to hear more then. The high floor is the easy part. The only things that will be new to MTA is the fact that the bus is longer, and only has one door. The wheelbase is the same as the Nova's, and the power train is the same as the Xcelsiors, and similar to the MCI's so training will be simple. Word on the street is they would go to UP and YU. I however think QV (which has the least populated express routes) should get a batch.

Terms, conditions, and specs for the low floors however will be quite interesting. But the most interesting part to me is which depots the low floors would go to. Some say the same as the current test fleets, and others seem to think they could end up elsewhere.

I personally think MJQ would benefit from having them for the M34 and M42.

I looked on Millenium's website, are the high-floors able to have two-doors? (thats what it said on the site)

This is the original design, right:

Express-Interior.jpg

Artesia.jpg

Of the 40 footer, yes. However, the interior is just a standard demo layout. Each transit agency specifies what they want in and on a bus. The bus above also does not have a roof-mount HVAC, which is standard on Millennium diesel RTS models.

• 5 weeks later...

MTS has completed the revised proposal and technical specifications for the RTS Express high floor. However, MTS will not be submitting the proposal at this time. The company continues to evaluate major components such as the Detroit Diesel DD11 engine to ensure MTA gets the most bang for their buck.

At this time, the proposal still calls for the Cummins ISL, and the DD11 is only under evaluation as a possible offering in the future. Millennium officials previously stated that they were always open to a DD offering, but the DD13 is much too large to make economic sense. Now with the new DD11 on the horizon, there is finally a direct replacement for the vulnerable DDs50.

MTS has completed the revised proposal and technical specifications for the RTS Express high floor. However, MTS will not be submitting the proposal at this time. The company continues to evaluate major components such as the Detroit Diesel DD11 engine to ensure MTA gets the most bang for their buck.

At this time, the proposal still calls for the Cummins ISL, and the DD11 is only under evaluation as a possible offering in the future. Millennium officials previously stated that they were always open to a DD offering, but the DD13 is much too large to make economic sense. Now with the new DD11 on the horizon, there is finally a direct replacement for the vulnerable DDs50.

Do you know where i can find some specs for the DD11? i can't find anything

Do you know where i can find some specs for the DD11? i can't find anything

As far as I know, they havent gone public yet, but I hear the engine will be rated up to 350hp. It appears as if the website will be updated as Daimler continues to implement "Globe 2013."

MTS is in active talks with the MTA for 90, and NJT is interested in up to 150. Go back to the first page in this thread, and it will explain the preliminary details in reguards to the BTE program. Some of which have changed, and are posted throughout this thread. The demo is expected to be delivered to MTA sometime later this year.

Archived