Why Do We Say?

EE Broadway Local

I apolozize for bothering you with this, but I really would appreciate your input.

Why do we say two-thousand eleven, for example, but we say nineteen seventy or eighteen sixty-five (for example)? Is it because when the calender changed to 2000 from 1900, it just made more sense or seemed easier? Maybe two-thousand nine sounds better than twenty oh-nine? Just curious!

Also, since we have no year 0 in our calender, our new centuries begin on January 1st of 01 while our new decades begin of 00, correct?

Thank you for your input. 70(EE)

These usless threads are comming to a stop soon. You EE need to start thinking before you create a whole new thread. If you have just a random question, post them in the RANDOM THOUGHTS THREAD, the one YOU created. This is why everytime I sign on I have to keep refreshing the page because I keep getting errors, why because the server is overloaded.

Ironically enough, I never had a loading problem because of the forum's "overloading." Must be just you. I see the Random Thoughts thread something of the spur of the moment.

To answer the question, well I'm sure when the time hits 21xx people won't be saying two-thousand x-x. Saying twenty-x.x. sounds a bit weird in my eyes, I still say two-thousand rather twenty-number. Then again I can't really explain it.

Archived