Subway thieves targeting cell phones and other electronic gadgets

Harry

Crime in the city's subways has jumped about 17% - mostly due to a spike in thefts of cell phones, iPods and other gadgets.

Most victims are passengers standing near the doors of subway cars. Thieves, generally lurking on the platforms, reach in and grab electronics from unsuspecting straphangers just as the doors close, police said.

"The system is as safe as it's ever been, but you need to be mindful," said Joseph Fox, the NYPD's new transit chief. "Be aware when the doors are closing; there are still some people who will reach in and snatch [your belongings]."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/ny_crime/2011/08/31/2011-08-31_crime_up_17_in_subways__and_electronics_theft_is_the_main_cause_watch_your_ipads.html#ixzz1WbjnK2yH

post-1-13328858264_thumb.jpg

post-1-13328858264_thumb.jpg

I had someone snatch my phone out of my hand from inside the train and run out. I ran out after him and he dropped it. Snatched it up quickly and continued the chase but he managed to get back on the (Q) and escape. If that platform wasnt particularly crowded that day I'd have caught him and had him ready for the police.

I tend not to have anything expensive on me that i don't absolutely have to have on me at the time. My phone unfortunately has to go with me everywhere. Not much of a text and walker but i get important calls on a regular basis and i'm prepared to chase down someone who thinks he's The Flash trying to snatch and flee.

When I came to NYC this April-May, everyone got me paranoid when I told them I wanted to go around the subway system every day so that I can take pictures. I had my camera with me and my phone and some cash and I was in the trains every day for about 3-4 hours. But nothing happened to me and I tried to be very aware. I believe that yes, one should be very aware of his surroundings while in the subway or any other form of mass transit for that matter. But being aware is different than being paranoid. I was paranoid only the first day when I went to Dyre Av. because it was my first day and after a point I was alone with another person in the car.. with my camera around my neck. That's why I didn't enjoy my first day much..

This is why I don't carry any expensive items with me.

I do, but I keep it all out of sight. I keep money in different pockets, a gadget in maybe a sweater pocket instead of a pant pocket, I keep inexpensive stuff in the back pocket and larger items like laptops in my bag, where they are completely sealed off and they are always on me.

Anyways, I never had a item snatched from me. I was the fastest runner on my high school baseball team and I still have good wheels even decade later. Unless I see a weapon, if the guy is just using fists I'm going after him unless he jumps into the tunnel

i don't pull out my phone underground and everything expensive i have is in my backpack. Although i no longer bring my laptop with me into the City , so the only thing in there is maybe a battery or Camera.....nothing more then 200$.

Only thing I ever take out of my pockets in the subway is my iPod to skip to the next song. I'm always aware of my surroundings and change it discreetly, and I will obviously know if I am being pick-pocketed because the music will stop. :)

Running after a theif to try and stop him is the dumbest thing you could ever do. What if he pulls out a knife or gun or some other weapon, or just starts punching/kicking you? Just let him go and file an insurance claim and police report. Surely trying to save a couple hundred (that you'll probably get reimbursed from insurance anyways) isn't worth winding up in the hospital for.

When I was in middle school I was with my friend when he was robbed on the (C) train once at night. We were in the middle of the car and the only other people in there were at either ends, and they were elderly people. He was dumb enough to hold his iPod rather than keep it in his pockets, so at the next stop this big guy came in and said "iPod or imma kill you." No way were we going to put a fight and the other passengers in the train just faced away and pretended not to see anything, so my friend gave it to him and the guy bolted out, doors closed, and that was it.

When I was back in H.S., some kid approached me on the Kings Highway (:)(Q) for the money, threatening to push me under the train. I was surprised and I didn't have anything on me, except for Skittles that I was holding in my hands. Didn't speak much English at that time either, so I gave him the candy and showed him my empty pockets and he left. Turned out that he was from the same H.S.:eek:

This is why people should keep their Electronics in their bags, Me this is why I buy cheap Phones (metro PCS) there is no need to carry some crap that costs over 500 dollars knowing that these pieces of shit is gonna steal them from you, These teenage kids that rob people are so damn stupid and I lol when they get grabbed by the police, I remember some ******* tried to rob me I just sat there and looked at him lie he was stupid, he just sat there and said give me your money, I sat there and just looked at the moron while the cops were right behind the idiot, its sad and i don't feel sorry for these waste of sperm at all, But the idiots that have their iPads on the train should know that some idiot is gonna rob you

I'm just glad I did most of my railfanning years ago. I don't think I'll need to bring my camera out in the system unless I know for sure no one is around or I'm with a few people.

I have a phone to make calls on rather than to text, so I don't have to worry about it too much. I don't use it for listening to music either. But if I do listen on it, I don't have white headphones, since that's associated with the iphone/ipod.

I am amazed when I see some riders with laptops or the ipads and just doing whatever on it and like 'zoned out'. They better be sure no one is gonna snatch those stuff from them. I dunno what is so damn important that they have to be on them while on the train. Just bring a damn newspaper and read that - $.50 or the free ones like Metro or AmNY.

No reason to be pulling your phone out underground, cameras, you keep them in the bag unless the thing's strapped to you

Kings Highway = Surface station. The guy snatched it outta my hand while i was on a call. Either way, for whatever reason he thought i was a target and had that train held a little longer he'd had his shit wrecked. If not by me than a proper police officer.

Kings Highway = Surface station. The guy snatched it outta my hand while i was on a call. Either way, for whatever reason he thought i was a target and had that train held a little longer he'd had his shit wrecked. If not by me than a proper police officer.

Police Officers won't wreck anything. Just saying from personal and professional experiences.

Someone snatching it right out of your hand while calling someone can and does happen all over the place, even outside the subway system. It's a damn easy way to get phones and happens a lot more than you might think.

This is why I don't carry any expensive items with me.

Amen. Don't carry anything onto a subway train that you aren't prepared to lose. The only things I carry are enough money that I need for the trip (spread out over multiple pockets if it's anything significant).

I remember I was on the S44 once, and these kids came and surrounded me (I foolishly took a window seat, so one came and sat next to me and that was all that was necessary to hem me in). They're like "Gimme what you got". All I had on me were a few dollars worth of cold cuts from Western Beef, and a couple of dollars for change (It was like $5 of cold cuts and $1 cash).

I just sat there and didn't say anything, and when they started bothering me, I turned out my pockets to show them (I was wearing cargo pants, so the $1 was in a lower pocket).

So basically, I didn't have anything they wanted, so they left me alone after that.

Only thing I ever take out of my pockets in the subway is my iPod to skip to the next song. I'm always aware of my surroundings and change it discreetly, and I will obviously know if I am being pick-pocketed because the music will stop. :(

Running after a theif to try and stop him is the dumbest thing you could ever do. What if he pulls out a knife or gun or some other weapon, or just starts punching/kicking you? Just let him go and file an insurance claim and police report. Surely trying to save a couple hundred (that you'll probably get reimbursed from insurance anyways) isn't worth winding up in the hospital for.

When I was in middle school I was with my friend when he was robbed on the (C) train once at night. We were in the middle of the car and the only other people in there were at either ends, and they were elderly people. He was dumb enough to hold his iPod rather than keep it in his pockets, so at the next stop this big guy came in and said "iPod or imma kill you." No way were we going to put a fight and the other passengers in the train just faced away and pretended not to see anything, so my friend gave it to him and the guy bolted out, doors closed, and that was it.

And what if you don't have insurance on the thing? Plus, it all comes down to whether you feel you can handle the person. If you're a wimp and this big muscular guy comes up and robs you, of course, there isn't anything you can do. But if you and the other person are roughly the same weight, there's a chance you can take them on.

Think about it: The person's probably running away from you. That means that if you're strong enough, you can grab them from behind as they run away.

Of course, hopefully, I'm never going to be in a position where I need to make that decision on whether to chase the guy down.

This is why people should keep their Electronics in their bags, Me this is why I buy cheap Phones (metro PCS) there is no need to carry some crap that costs over 500 dollars knowing that these pieces of shit is gonna steal them from you, These teenage kids that rob people are so damn stupid and I lol when they get grabbed by the police, I remember some ******* tried to rob me I just sat there and looked at him lie he was stupid, he just sat there and said give me your money, I sat there and just looked at the moron while the cops were right behind the idiot, its sad and i don't feel sorry for these waste of sperm at all, But the idiots that have their iPads on the train should know that some idiot is gonna rob you

I can't imagine paying $500 for a phone. I think the phones my family has cost about $20 each (and I don't even bother taking them out underground, since I know there's no reception).

The only time I would take a phone out is if I were above ground and I had a feel for who's sitting around me, and even then, it would only be to make a 1 minute call or something.

People suck. The Economy sucks, and is sinking faster, and farther then the Titanic can ever sink. What are people going to do when the Economy has been sold out to China, and everyone is broke? They are going to steal. The most simple answer.

You sure have a positive outlook on life.

"I don't take my phone out or take a Kindle or iPad out," said Amy Kirkhem, 36, of Park Slope, as she rode the R train in Brooklyn. "I could see it being easy for someone to grab. You don't want to be careless."

God, typical Park Slope hipster. Always having the "must-have" electronic devices. I bet she even wears scarfs when it's hot outside.

I bet she even wears scarfs when it's hot outside.

I almost cursed out my friend for doing that!

As for the thread, its best not flash electronics in the mugger mover.

I almost never take out my phone or camera unless I'm with a few people.

Wait, the MTA has those PSAs NOT to flash electronics yet there boasting about having wifi and cell service in the coming years. typical.

Archived