How to make money to get a DSLR? Please help me!

R68 Subway Car

I have a very busy college schedule. I am not sure if I can get a job. On Monday, I have to go to school from 8 am to 5pm. On Wednesday, I have to go to school from 8 am to 4pm. Tuesday is from 11am to 12 pm. Thursday is an off day and I go to school on Fridays from 11 am to 4 pm. I really want to make some money (the right way) so I can get a Canon DSLR with some lenes. I need at least $3000 to $4000. What can I do to make some serious money? I really do not want my work to affect my grades. Currently, I have a 3.49 GPA and I really want to maintain my good grades. I want to be a high school or college level history instructor, so my grades are very important. What to do? Thanks for your help!

You really won't need 3-4k for an SLR, Canon's cameras all cost between $500-$1700 depending on the model, their higher end cameras, however, go far beyond that range.

And, don't let anything tell you otherwise, you could pick up a T2, T2i, T3, T3i and they'd all work similar- Your only good option would be to try and find some type of on-campus work (if available), my schedule's roughly the same as yours except my classes are all between 10:00 AM and 4:00 PM. Before, finding a part time job for 4-5 hours a day wasn't that hard to grab onto, but these days it's not even possible

If you really want it youll get a job and save your money. I worked at mcds and going to high school at that time and saved every penny of $8000 to buy my Lincoln LS and + whatever else Ihad saved. I took me a little while but I did what I had to do to get my car that is paid off no loans or nothing. So If you want that camera get a job at a side store and save the money.

The best advice you're going to get throughout this whole thread is to get a job and save up the money. Alongside that, you can try selling things you don't use anymore or don't have a need for. That's how I managed to get my new DSLR. I sold my D5000 and used the money I saved up from the website work that I do to cover the rest of the costs.

If you really want it youll get a job and save your money. I worked at mcds and going to high school at that time and saved every penny of $8000 to buy my Lincoln LS and + whatever else Ihad saved. I took me a little while but I did what I had to do to get my car that is paid off no loans or nothing. So If you want that camera get a job at a side store and save the money.

Imagine spending 4000 soldiers on a F'n camera @ 18 y/o? 4G's is apt money, down payment on my car money. I should hit this kid with my size 9 1/2 WTF?

Get a job on a weekend. As a kid, I tortured myself to do as much HW as I could on Friday night so the weekend would be freed up, maybe you should too.

Also, I wouldn't use that much money on a camera in college yet. Trust me, there would be much more important occasions to use saved money then on a camera. If you really want, don't quit your job right after you get enough money for the camera. You gotta keep saving. Yes its hard work, but it will be good practice of living the adult life. (Except you have a job full time instead of a part time job and schoolwork)

That's definitely not a busy college schedule, I've HAD worse. If you want to earn the right way, there's only one way, a job. Talk to the manager about your school schedule and they will (most of the time) work around it. Also while doing this, pretty much say bye-bye to your social life. I've this case previously while saving for a 2nd hand car. I said bye to social life, did my school work, had my job and boom, got the car in 6 months.

Some other ways to earn cash fast; sell anything current that you know would bring in money and would have no need anymore (like used phones, games, systems, etc.) Other then that, I'd say hit up Atlantic City and just play the card tables (Poker/Hold'em) and know what you are doing. But Seeing you're only 18 you can't do that yet.

Imagine spending 4000 soldiers on a F'n camera @ 18 y/o? 4G's is apt money, down payment on my car money. I should hit this kid with my size 9 1/2 WTF?

Yes, Dan is telling the truth. In college, you already don't have that much money. You should spend money a lot more wisely and not spend on something like a camera. Even living off Cup Noodles I'm not sure how you would get enough money for other things you actually NEED (textbooks, etc) after spending a few thousand on a camera. It just isn't worth it

If your kid told you that they spent 4000 dollars on a camera, how fast would you pull that belt out? or the frying pan? I have a steady job (thank god) and I can't even picture myself swiping my debit card on the machine with a total of 4g's.

Real talk, Take your money and save it, your 18. Put the money away so when you wanna get that lil car or a crib you won't have to depend on mommy and daddy. You need a camera go but a camera at best buy for 100, because most of those lil digital cameras take pics just as good as the big boys. Unless you started working for the NY Post or Playboy.

Don't get overzealous! It's good you want to get a DSLR and improve your photo skills and that's good, but the 3G-4G range you had in mind was far too much.

Start off small...much small. $300-600 is much more reasonable. Go online for deals like eBay. Good luck!

And lol @ some of these responses on here :tup:

OK, my wishlist is the Nikon D5100, the Sigma 30mm or 50mm f/1.4, and the Nikon 70-300mm or 55-300mm . Is that breaking the bank, or good enough? Thanks again for your advice.

while I have only expertise with Canon, I will try to advise you, you wanna see my work the link is there on the bottom so you know I can back it up. I dont know what the equivilent Nikon equipment is, so you might have to look that up. But the current EOS Rebel t2i is a decent model, the 18-55 IS is a very decent lens for the money, if you are skilled and know what you are doing you will get great shots, the key is skill its not just the camera. The 50mm f1.8 lens of any brand can be gotten inexpensively but be warned with nikon make sure you get a lens with a built in motor becasue some nikon bodies lack the camera based AF motor. a 30mm lens isnt really necessary if you have the 50mm. A 70-300 you will honestly not have much use for, if you really need to get stuff like that far away, just go to the next station and get the photo.

My entire camera kit, costed me initially around 800, and that was with 3 lenses (18-55, 50mm [was a gift],and 55-250) and the body, plus a bag. I later got a few accessories, UV filters which are important to protect the lens and lens hoods, and a smaller bag. So I would say the total has been around 900, defenately under a grand and not all at once. Wait till around december, thats when the deals get good.

Be careful on eBay. Make sure you read reviews on the sellers. Stay away from any of those "Too good to be true" deals, and don't buy anything from people who are only selling for the first time.

Seriously though, your parents probably won't like you breaking the bank for a camera at your age. Ask them about it first?

Unfortunately, my mom will not allow me to work. She said I needed to focus on school only. :(

Are you sure your 18? Im not goin to tell you what to do but your old enough to make your own choices. I started working when I was 16 at Mcdonalds. My mom is a Lawyer which meant it was hard growing up because she was super strict and she wanted me to work and make my own money so I didnt have to live off of her money. Yes school is important but having your own money is a great feeling. The feeling of going into a store and buying whatever you want is an amazing feeling. Schools have part time jobs for students and the book stores and in some of the office taking phone calls and what not. They will only work you at most 5 to 20hrs a week.

Archived