How to make money to get a DSLR? Please help me!

R68 Subway Car

Are you sure your 18? Im not goin to tell you what to do but your old enough to make your own choices. I started working when I was 16 at Mcdonalds. My mom is a Lawyer which meant it was hard growing up because she was super strict and she wanted me to work and make my own money so I didnt have to live off of her money. Yes school is important but having your own money is a great feeling. The feeling of going into a store and buying whatever you want is an amazing feeling. Schools have part time jobs for students and the book stores and in some of the office taking phone calls and what not. They will only work you at most 5 to 20hrs a week.

Exactly...I worked nights at the ice rink, and some days.

That job was the tits...paid very well compared to other jobs people were taking and great coworkers, and completely flexible. Every year that brought in a few thousand, and never impacted my studies. And I still had time to have a social life on top of it to boot.

Unfortunately, my mom will not allow me to work. She said I needed to focus on school only. ;)

There are ways where you can be suceessful at school and get a good job. However, you cannot procrastinate or slack off if you do get a job and go to school. It is extremely hard work, and even a bit of slacking would either cause you to lose your job or cause your grades to take a nosedive.

Both me and my cousins boyfriend have the same salary ($90/hr, except I work more hours then he does and we have different careers) and both of us can't imagine even on our salary spending 4G on a camera only. You would probably would earn $20-$25 an hour at MOST and spending 4G on a camera on that salary would be close to, if not insane. A few hundred is ok, but quite frankly in that is still a lot of money at your age and salary. Be smart with money. Don't be one of those teenage idiots who get a debit card at 13 and go wild on clothes, iPods, shoes, you name it. If you really want a camera, get a job and you HAVE to and I mean HAVE TO work your butt off. No slacking, no more social life and it means always focusing on your task. Once you get a job, get rid of every distraction you have.

Unfortunately, my mom will not allow me to work. She said I needed to focus on school only. ;)

If she said that then do what the others just mentioned, ask for allowance. But I find it funny that she won't let you even work a part-time being that you are 18. My parents got me getting a job when I was 16.

Wow... Allowance at 18? I've been working since I was 15 mate. My mom would give me money through my high school years, but I didn't bother her much during the summer because I worked and had my own money. Once I finished high school, I had to support myself to get through college and paid for my own books, etc., though my father (my mom and dad split when I was 9) always said to give him a buzz if I ever needed anything, but I liked being independent. Of course my mom would pitch in here and there, but I basically fended for myself.

I had several jobs in college. I tutored Spanish & Italian on the side, worked in the mailroom which was easy money and also worked as a skateguard at the ice rink on the weekends and did security at the hockey games. These were all easy jobs basically and gave me money so I had money for whatever I wanted when in college. I also took fewer courses so that I wouldn't be stressed out. I mean I didn't the rush to finish early anyway and even took off a semester to write up my proposals and save to move to Europe. I got into college at 17 (before turning 18) and finished with a 3.92 GPA and graduated Summa C u m Laude at 23. :cool:

During the summer months I had jobs as well, so I always had money. If you want a 3-4k camera, don't pay attention to what others say. You only live once and anything that I want I go out and work for it so that I can get it because I don't want to die having any regrets. I wanted to finish my studies in Europe in a high end apartment and I took my own money which I worked for and did just that. My point is if you want that camera then go and work for it and f*ck what anyone says. If anything you'll learn that hard work can get you anything that you want in life. :cool: :tup:

My suggestion is try to find something at your university because the college jobs generally aren't too stressful since they know that you're taking classes. My job in the mailroom allowed me to work in my dorm and study if I so pleased while earning money. :cool: My tutoring I basically worked around my schedule and put down hours when I had availability and that worked out well too.

Well I'm 17 and I still get allowance...$5 a week, but I work as well. My parents absolutely refuse to buy me any electronics so my PS3, Wii, and iPod Touch were all bought with my own money.

I help out one of my mom's friends who is barely able to walk b/c she's a little on the heavy side (or a lot on the heavy side).

I love kids too so I often babysit and every year, my church has a vacation bible school for a week which gets me another $100 or so.

Basically find something you really care about and search for a job. Sometimes you won't find something you find interesting, but I'd rather have money with a bad job than have no money at all.

that was the worst part...I didn't have any free time. I worked weekday afternoons and weekends over the summer. My summer vacation was only 6 days long B)

Unless you worked 16 hours a day you can always make time to chill...

Been there done that...

Hell worked 70 hours a week for 3 months and still found time to hang out and volunteer time to two nonprofits.

It can be done...

Archived